Linux Client

Discussion in 'Support!' started by tsikedu, June 7, 2013.

1. tsikedu

tsikedu New Member

I imagine its not working yet, but as a backer who runs Linux only It would be nice to have something I can try out.
  2. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Short answer: not yet.
  3. armoredmammal

armoredmammal New Member

We'll just be patient, then, I suppose. :)
  4. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

Why would they send out emails with only a link to the Windows version instead of waiting until the full alpha was all ready? That's not cool. I didn't see any news post saying this was a tiered rollout for the different OSes, so why are Linux and Mac users being treated as 2nd class backers already?
  5. laseek

laseek New Member

It's usual - bang for buck - there's more Windows users than Linux, and more Linux users than OSx (at least from the Google HW page results they used a while ago).

The current version of the installer doesn't work with Wine (1.4 or 1.5.1) (I've not bug reported it as Linux support isn't targeted at the mo) due to SSL cert errors

If they update pasetup with the latest launcher and tweak the ssl on the updater - it might proceed a little further - will probably run like a dog but :shrugs:
  6. nid0

nid0 New Member

I guess you must have missed a lot then, Uber have said quite a few times that to begin with the alpha will be 1) Windows only, 2) 64-bit only, 3) online only, and other clients will be rolled out ASAP when available.
  7. plutoid

plutoid New Member

Fails with 1.5.31 as well.
    Waiting Channel is pipe_wait, like the Uplay Launcher when it tries to update. Installed it through PlayOnLinux.
  8. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

This project is a Kickstarter project and as such Linux support was funded, I helped to fund it. As such, there is no monetary reason to not support all three and treat all three *equally*. They said they would release for all three, yet they are staggering alpha development effort towards Windows instead of releasing on all three?

They aren't going to *release* the final Linux and Mac versions after the Windows version, right? (they better not...) So, what's the rush for the Windows version then? If their game is cross platform, their launcher should be cross platform, so I don't see any sense in not releasing for them all.

Plus, this makes me feel 2nd class, and saying you support all three platforms on y our Kickstarter page but then releasing an alpha first for Windows users and not everyone else makes me feel like I got burned and you're going to make your other Linux and Mac backers feel burned too. This was just a bad idea...
    Last edited: June 7, 2013
  9. laseek

laseek New Member

Aye - tail the log file in Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/PALauncher/PALauncher.log and you'll see the issue.
  10. laseek

laseek New Member

It's grim - I'm all on Linux also and I've not used Windows as a desktop for years.
    That PA was gonna be for Linux also is one of the reasons I backed it - gaming on Linux until recently has been a challenge..

But it is what it is..

I expect OSx support to come first - Coherent - the engine they're using has better OSx support than Linux (on Linux they only support shared mem rather than shared texture). So perf on Linux might be grim until the underlying engine provides better support.
  11. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

Linux and Mac builds of PA are build daily, they just aren't stable enough to be pushed out into the alpha-program yet due to a some OS-specific issues.

Uber is working on it to get the builds to you guys as soon as possible. Really, don't worry, no need to get hostile-ish about it.

This is not a matter of any OS being more important/superior than others, this has the same reasons as to why the alpha is currently 64-bit only: technical.
  12. laseek

laseek New Member

But I just found my pitchfork! :(
  13. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Linux and Mac build both build but need some love. We are going to need a small group of very technical linux people to help us test it out before rolling it out wide. Don't worry though, it's not like we have to port the game. It's there, it compiles and runs we just need to work through some issues.

Also the driver situation on linux is pretty awful.
  14. laseek

laseek New Member

Sadly - 'tis true.
    For compat go with the xserver-xorg-video drivers - you'll get the most coverage but lose on perf.

Use the helper script from code.google.com/p/sgfxi/ for installing any of the drivers.
    You'll get the latest drivers for whatever card you're testing and it'll help ensure you have a repeatable test env across any linux distro you're testing on.
  15. MJD

MJD New Member

As long as there are builds around ...

But seriously, I can help alpha test the alpha if wanted. I've got an AMD and Intel graphics, and have the usual debug tools lying around on all of them (gdb, strace), and I'm not afraid to add more. Also, my system are gentoo, with full debugging symbols available, and full source code available, making any gdb backtraces/etc more useful.
  16. laseek

laseek New Member

Ubuntu 13.04 (Unity) & Mint 15 (Cinnamon) here - x64 - with ATI & NVidia cards available & the usual tools as/when needed.
  17. yrrep

yrrep Member

After finally receiving my alpha key I'm a bit bummed as well for not being able to dive right in. I think I'll be able to wait a few more days though if you don't deem the builds ready yet.

If you're still looking for pre-alpha volunteers, I wouldn't mind giving it a spin though (Arch x64, Intel HD Graphics 4000, comfortable with Linux development/debugging tools). With us Linux people you won't run out of technical minded and experienced volunteers, take your pick.
  18. dotmartti

dotmartti New Member

Let me also voice the concern about the Linux game. That was the reason I supported you on Kickstarter, so I hope you don't let me and all other Linux fans down.
    But don't get me wrong - I have all confidence in your technical skills and wish you inspiration with Linux debugging! ;)
  19. swiftpaw22

swiftpaw22 New Member

Good lord. So much for PA "Linux support". Next time I see a game or project which says they support Linux I'll be sure to find out if it is equal support so I'll know if I can be excited along with everyone else when it comes to alpha, beta, and release version time, or if I'm going to be treated as if I didn't support the project at all and have to wait at the back of the line.
  20. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Really? Building on Linux is infamously hard when it comes to games. We're doing what we can. If you want to help, stay active in the alpha forums, and if you fall under the category of what Neutrino called out above, you'll be one of the first people to get an alpha build and help us make it usable. This "woe is me" attitude is just annoying.