Is there any reason to wait for Steam Early Access?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by leafspring, June 7, 2013.

1. leafspring

leafspring New Member

As far as I know the price on Steam will equal the ones in the store, meaning at least 90$ for Alpha access.

Originally I planned to get the early access version on Steam today (expecting a somewhat lower price, though) but since that has been delayed I wonder if there is any reason to actually wait for the Steam release or if I should just get the store version (if I can convince myself to shell out 90$ that is).

Are there any known differences?
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

No known differences in content/features.

Only difference is that the Steam version is tied to Steam, and the non-Steam version isn't.
  3. thaplague

thaplague Member

You're also supporting Uber through their website and can transfer your key to steam later on.
  4. hitorque

hitorque New Member

I have used Steam since its inception. But over the last few years, I have made more and more purchases through other venues especially with indie games.

I see no reason to wait for Steam, and although I am happily playing the alpha now, I don't really plan on transferring any of my keys to Steam unless in some point in the future that's the only option to play online.
  5. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

Steam Early Access is more of an advertisement than anything. And since kickstarter (whether they contributed or not) people already know of it, not much point.
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm going to write my key down and keep it separate from Steam. Valve is a bunch of cool guys and gals and all, but there is still a bit of DRM tied to Steam. It just doesn't work very well in offline mode.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you buy game though Steam developers get less money, if's possible for you to buy it's directly than do that.
    When game will be available on Steam you might transfer your account/key here for free.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Pretty much the high points have all already been said, it basically comes down to Uber trying to appeal to as many people as possible, some might not be comfortable, for whatever reason, buying direct from Uber, or might simply prefer the other services offered by Steam so if they want, they an get it via Steam or transfer their key to Steam(keep in mind this is a one time transfer, last I know of there isn't any way to transfer a key OFF Steam, so if you're unsure make sure you think about it thoroughly)

Uber naturally would prefer direct support, because that is where they get the most money to flip back into making PA a better game.

Mike
  9. leafspring

leafspring New Member

Thanks a lot, guys.

Guess I'll go the uber store route then and transfer the key to Steam later on.