Specs and results from 2 different machines

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by savvon, June 7, 2013.

1. savvon

savvon Member

Loaded alpha on this machine:
    AMD Phenom IIx4 810 Processor, 6.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+

When I did finally connect to Ubers servers after many tries due to the program not responding, it was very (processor) laggy and rendering was horrible. It was unplayable due to huge chops in frame rate.

If your machine is around these specs, you will not be able to play alpha.

I then loaded alpha on this machine:
    Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @3.40GHz, 8.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 SE

Connected to the Uber servers first try and ran as smooth as butter.

If you have a machine around these specs, you will run alpha without a hitch.

I live in Taiwan and even though my internet connection is incredibly good, I still experienced server side lag. This is to be expected being I am on the opposite side of the world, but it is a good 1-2 second constant lag when giving orders and this is not normal when I connect to west coast servers in other games. And yes, I know it is alpha, this is why I am posting.

I will be able to do some serious testing once single player, LAN and hosting our own servers come to us down the road, but so far, even with the lag, PA is in great shape for an early alpha.

I am really liking the ships and I can see some epic battles in my future. :)

Great job guys! Keep on keeping on!

*UPDATE 6/7/2013: Just ran the new client today and even the server side lag is still present for me, it is much better.
    Last edited: June 7, 2013
  2. eyecu247

eyecu247 Member

Thanks for the review! Helpful! Good Stuff!
  3. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Thanks! My comp has stats closer to the 2nd (slightly lower cpu/better gfx), so this really gives me some hope. Since you're in the alpha (obviously LOL), is there a frame count overlay built into the client?
  4. savvon

savvon Member

You hit the 'P' key and it displays a bunch of information. ;)
  5. eyecu247

eyecu247 Member

Good to know that too!
    Thanks!
  6. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Awesome. Can't wait to see what framerates/card temps I can generate!
  7. sab0t

sab0t Member

hopefully there's a consolidated thread for this in the alpha forum. if not i'll make it when i get my key
  8. deso88

deso88 Member

Just throwing this in because it might be useful:

Running PA with an Intel Q6600 @3.6GHz, 8GB RAM and a AMD/ATI Radeon HD4870X2.
    Game runs fine so far at medium to high settings (4 players, 20-30 fps).
    Some shadow-ish artifacts appear here and there when zooming but disappear instantly.

So it seems PA is even playable with older AMD Frankenstein GPUs.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Those two computers are just a single upgrade apart. Hmm, I would nearly bet the lesser one could play it at slow but steady fps with some overclocking (ending every non-vital system task and turning graphics way down and power settings to the hardware slightly higher). I have two computers as well, and I was hoping the one that is like the 1st one could be set to make it run.
  10. savvon

savvon Member

Everything on the newer computer is upgraded. :shock:
  11. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

When I get my alpha I'll post my take and my specs so people after me can Ctrl-f their relevant parts.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I meant everything is upgraded just a little bit. like 2gb ram difference, the processor I can't phathom being important, and a graphics card. I am just saying I am sure I can overclock 2/3 the difference.

I am surprised yet impressed a 6gb ram computer couldn't do it, is all I am saying.
  13. xcupx

xcupx Member

It's the graphics card.
  14. Ertwyu

Ertwyu New Member

Oh great, that's the exact card I have, the 9800 GTX+... And I run at 1920x1200. I hope I'm not screwed. I do have an i7-965 Extreme and 5 gigs of RAM though!
  15. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Yeah, I'll need a new PC too I guess...:

Dell Inspiron 560
    Nvidia Geforce 310
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 2.50 GHz
    4 GB RAM
  16. antillie

antillie Member

There is a pretty massive difference in performance between a Phenom II x4 and a third gen Core i7. And a GeForce 9800 GTX+ and a GeForce GTX 560 SE are four generations apart IIRC. There is a huge performance gulf between those two machines.

I am now very curious how my Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition and my twin Radeon 5770's in crossfire will fair with the alpha client.
  17. antillie

antillie Member

It seems that my old box here runs the alpha just fine at 1920x1080 with all the graphical settings turned up all the way. Not bad at all.
  18. calpernicus

calpernicus New Member

I am struggling a bit but I suppose that is to be expected.

Laptop :p

I7 2670QM 2.2 ghz
    GeForce GT 540M 2GB
    8GB DDR3

I was getting 5 FPS to start with. Played with Nvidia settings and it is now 10-15. Start of game can get 20 but by late game it is down to 10 and very choppy and slow.

Wonder what people with ultra specs can get? Wondering if I will need to upgrade or if it will optimise much better over time?

EDIT that FPS is on the lowest settings.
  19. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So the 9800 series has a particular bug that makes it extra slow that I think we can fix.
  20. felipec

felipec Active Member

Great! I also have an 9800 gt and I'm getting 7 fps =/
    I will buy a new computer later this year, but for now this 9800 is all i have =(