Alpha - Set your expectations LOW

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ephoscus, June 3, 2013.

1. thaplague

thaplague Member

Here is the definition:

Pessimism - The tendency to see only what is disadvantageous or gloomy or to anticipate the worst outcome.

I don't see how this is realism. Like I said it just sounds sad. Now Optimism on the other hand is a tendency to look on the more favorable side or to expect the most favorable outcome of events or conditions. If I had to choose between the two I would want to see the best outcome not the worst but that is just me. ;)
  2. thepastmaster

thepastmaster Active Member

I'm silently musing over how many "OMG THIS GAME IS UNPLAYABLE!" threads are going to be posted here. And demands for refunds.
  3. lordmd

lordmd Member

As long as I can get it to run without major fps lags on my computer I'm fine. If it crashes or network connection lag or other balancing issues that's fine and fun to explore(especially balancing stuff unbalanced stuff can be fun...).
  4. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

Ye old phrase -> "Hope for the best, Plan for the worst"

That's where I am, both optimistic & pessimistic. It is possible to be in 2 states at once.

Like I imagine many people experience last night (UK) Game of Thrones, both "Nooooo!!" & "This Fantastic TV!!" at the same time - (Even having read the books it still gets you that scene)
  5. sab0t

sab0t Member

words to live by :cool:
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So let's all express our hopes then, there is nothing to prepare for in the worst case of the alpha never being released at all :p
  7. ephoscus

ephoscus Member

Words I wish I started with!
  8. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

If i can at least see the first 3 minutes of the game working on day one I will be surprised.
    I will be finding ways to break this game till its so polished the shear awesomeness will incinerate us in our seats.
  9. japporo

japporo Active Member

It's not so much the bugs I expect people to be posting about; that's inevitable and will be shouted down quickly. It's more likely that a lot of posts will be about balance issues, even though, as Uber has explicitly said, not much work has been put into balancing yet as well as the re-ignition of threads on features people want added.

The level of anticipation is a bit unreal to me, personally. :) To me, working with an alpha is work; working around unimplemented and partially implemented features, dealing with crashes and hangs, and the onerous task of filing detailed bug reports. It's something that I want to take on because I want PA to be the best it can be, not because I expect to have all that much fun.
  10. thaplague

thaplague Member

So it looks like the game is playable but now we have a new problem... Trolls. It's difficult to sift through real posts and get tangible information. Also like I was stating earlier patience seems to be another concern. :roll:
  11. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

"No expectations means No disappointments." :D