In-Game VOIP

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kruelgor, June 3, 2013.

1. deso88

deso88 Member

You like to create your own reality don't you? There are only 3 threads with about 6 posts and only because nobody searched for existing ones. Not really popular, nor is it high demand.
    You should really stop doing this.
  2. kruelgor

kruelgor New Member

No offense, but how much online gaming experience do you have my friend? I run a clan of 400 members and have been a hardcore online gamer for a very long time. I want to see Planetary Annihilation to be the most successful it possibly can and hence the advice.

Now, I respect your opinion and I realize that not everyone would use in-game VOIP but why would YOU want to deny that feature to others?
    Last edited: June 3, 2013
  3. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

aww man, there goes the thread. :|
  4. kruelgor

kruelgor New Member

That's what they wanted, right? Little trolls that like to spit on ideas with no logical reasoning behind their faint attacks.
  5. kruelgor

kruelgor New Member

I guess I could always donate $10,000 and demand that VOIP be put into the game. Maybe I'll do that for the good of the community.
  6. sab0t

sab0t Member

let's keep it civil..

i can't see how the addition of this feature would make a weaker product. it indeed is a matter of not using it if you don't like it / want to. i mute everyone in roughly 95% of the CoDBO2 games I play, but then 5% of the time I use it like crazy..

creating a product that relies on exterior and third-party sources to complete the experience results in community fracture everytime.
  7. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Relevant:
    viewtopic.php?p=721313#p721313
    viewtopic.php?p=624527#p624527

If you're worried about time wasted on it then use mumble API and integrate it? Not perfect but it's better than omitting it entirely.

You can't play competitively and type to teammates. I feel like it is such an important part of teamplay and working together.

The arguments against seem flakey at best. Stuff like 'Use TS' is ridiculous, you can't expect to host a server and persuade your teammates to join it before the game starts. Relegating voip use to private clans/groups is just not a solution to the problem.

Also remember this is a PC RTS not console CoD haha.
  8. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

Well, I want VoIP like you do, but... your method of arguing is dictatorial(in tone) and antagonistic, which is why you get these responses.

Instead of claiming the game will definitely do worse without it, I'd argue why it would benefit from it (without making grand predictions).

The way I see it, as long as it's implemented properly(with mute features), there are no downsides:

Communication in team games, accessible to everyone even if they don't have mics themselves, reaches the large demographic(really the majority) who either don't know about 3rd party programs or can't be bothered.
  9. kruelgor

kruelgor New Member

....but I am a dictator by nature. I can't help it. :lol:

p.s. Monarchy is the best form of rule. The only problem is eventually a moron inherits the throne and gives it a bad name.
  10. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

In-game VOIP is utterly useless for competitive play. Casual? Absolutely. But if you're competitive then why the hell would you use an inferior system when Mumble and kin are available.
  11. kruelgor

kruelgor New Member

This is good stuff. What experience do you speak from? Maybe you're referring to 1v1?
  12. asgo

asgo Member

just to make sure, you know that teamwork and cooperative play were around before voice chat was a common occurrence? ;)

Obviously voice has the advantage of getting more text out in a hands free manner than by typing, but from an ingame point of view text chat (combined with an UI supporting helpfull visual hints and markers) also has some advantages over an ingame VOIP:
    - no (less) need to filter - avoiding missing muted useful stuff
    - no voice overlap in a full channel
    - a log of all text to get infos even if you were distracted before
    - text is usually readable even if produced by a cheap keyboard (not necessarily true for micros) :)
    - easier to follow multiple text channels/groups than with voice channels

- third party tools usually cover the specific interests of different player groups
    - a side effect: you can still have VOIP session with friends independent from the game

For specific occasions I prefer VOIP, but not necessarily as a default case. So, I don't mind the way via third party tools.
  13. infinitycanvas

infinitycanvas Well-Known Member

Quality response. Sure, in-game is better than nothing, but a stand alone client specifically devoted to communication will always be preferable.
  14. kruelgor

kruelgor New Member

Ahh, I see where you're coming from now. Mostly likely you've never played a game with good quality VOIP such as World in Conflict. Maybe all you've seen is console VOIP which I agree the quality there is total shiit.
  15. teradyn

teradyn Member

What self respecting clan do you know of that doesn't have their own dedicated voice server?
  16. veta

veta Active Member

Instead of designing VOIP specifically for PA I'd rather see Uber integrate a mumble API with PA like FAF.
  17. kruelgor

kruelgor New Member

I didn't make this post for any clan's benefit, but for the benefit of the game itself.
  18. kruelgor

kruelgor New Member

That would be nice.
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I got other idea, PA got webkit inside and webkit support WebRTC.
    So we may only need to ask Uber to build game client with webrtc-enabled webkit and then P2P VOIP might be added with a simple html/js mod. :ugeek:

WebRTC is quite stable already, it's got perfect voice quality, it's need only small lightweight server script (which only used to connect clients, so it's doesn't need lot of bandwidth).
  20. deso88

deso88 Member

This actually sounds like a sweet idea.