Planet to Planet weapons

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by otaminempire, May 26, 2013.

1. otaminempire

otaminempire New Member

Hi, just had an idea of having Weapons like the "Big bertha" from TA into PA, basicly you would build the unit on a planet but it can only attack other planets and can not be used on the same planet it is built on.

Just an idea.
  2. Daddie

Daddie Member

That is already confirmed as you can place those weapons on asteroids or moons to shoot the planet. Just look at the kickstarter film ;)
  3. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure the giant cannon just launched drop pods with reinforcements.....

Still, asteroids.
  4. otaminempire

otaminempire New Member

Yeah, i was saying more of like a weapon that fires from planet to planet doing damage to the units on the ground would be epic.
  5. asgo

asgo Member

that leads to an interesting question on how much direct planet to planet interaction is planned.
    In this case you would have to answer if and how you can take aim from one planet on something on another planet. The other direction would be that you can only target another planet on the highest level, e,g. in system view asteroids and stuff.
  6. vahilior

vahilior New Member

Yeah this is a bit different from asteroid weapons as it gives you much longer range with which to hit other planets, you dont need to move stuff halfway across the solar system to hurt them. But it could potentially intrude a bit on the metal planets role from what we understand of them. It would be really interesting to see if theres any plans for this kind of weapon, if it will only be through taking moons or asteroids near the planet that you can hit them, or if its just a feature of metal planets.
  7. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

8. ghosteyez

ghosteyez Member

Anti Metal Planet Weapon - (Could use a better name :p)

How it works!

Must be built on a moon, then fired at the core of the planet causing the core to increasing its gravity pull, long as the weapon remains active (And requires loads of power to maintain), the planet begins to lose mass, meanwhile the planet itself is reducing in size to the point of becoming a massive explosion, thus destroying the planet.
  9. thapear

thapear Member

Reading this is just painful to my science knowledge. You shoot something at a planet to increase it's gravity and also make it lose mass? And you also want it to make the planet explode? All these effects counteract each other directly...
    Sense, none is made.
  10. kmike13

kmike13 Member

...what?
  11. technoxan

technoxan New Member

Well. A planet to planet missile would be cool, but I trust the designers will make a good choice :D
  12. ghosteyez

ghosteyez Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEJc-MyS41M

Skip to 6:00 Then just watch.

This is not what I had described however it points to what my idea is based on.

This planet in this video was destroyed because they created away to bring all replicators to a center point and due to the wight of the mass it brought the ball of metal to the core of the planet. So, if this idea can be used in the same way of a full metal planet, making it so all mass of metal being diverted to the core of the planet, it would simply be unstable and thus destroy it self.
  13. saberkittyzero

saberkittyzero New Member

Inter-planetary cannons would be quite interesting. What I would be thinking is something like Dr. Evils freaking moon laser.
  14. sab0t

sab0t Member

i think this is what we are all frikkin waiting for, really
  15. Asterisk135

Asterisk135 Member

It seems to me that there are two possible types of interplanetary weapon. Missile and laser. You could fire some sort of missile (this includes KEWs) to a target on the other planet and that would be available at any time because you can just swing it around gravity wells (and this could be countered by missile defences). Or you could build a powerful laser on a planet and wait until the target is within range (or change the planet's orbit/rotation). The only problem I can think of is how to counter a big laser like that, short of putting an asteroid between you and it...
  16. thepastmaster

thepastmaster Active Member

Easy, blow it up. Or fly a plane down the barrel.
  17. Asterisk135

Asterisk135 Member

Good point. :lol:
  18. Baleur

Baleur Member

Well, i love cool ideas, and i love stargate, but idk..
    That stargate episode was because the replicator nanites were of a super-heavy alloy, it essentially created a singularity as they collapsed in on themselves (their molecular bonds were broken so they could no longer keep apart).
    That they fell through the planet was just a side effect.

I guess what you mean is that the metal on the surface of a metal world would be "sucked" in / redirected to the core of the planet.
    But idk why that would cause a singularity, unless you have some sci-fi-mumbo-jumbo explanation like "oh the molecular flux bond capacitors reversed polarity, ofc".

But yeah. If that'd work anyway it would be due to the metals becoming so compressed down there that it became a singularity, crunching the rest of the planet eventually.
    It still sounds weird.
    If you suck up the entire metal surface of the world to redirect into the centre of the planet, why not just suck up the liquid core itself (if it even is liquid?).

Hang on, yeah lol :lol:
    Wouldn't a metal planet be literally solid metal all the way through? Like an asteroid?
    Then how would you suck more metal into the solid metal core?
    By liquifying a path all the way to the core with a massive laser?
    Why not then just use that massive laser to cut the planet in half, literally? Why bother with putting stuff in the core?

Oh screw it, let's just call the device you suggest a black-hole generator and let the black hole sink to the center of the world slowly eating it up.