Love your product, but only one race is a total dealbreaker

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garibaldi5, June 1, 2013.

1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Re: Love your product, but only one race is a total dealbrea

So there are factions in the game. Each commander ostensibly has affiliation with a particular faction. The factions don't differentiate on regular unit but they certainly exist. We haven't announced any of the lore yet because we are still working on it.

In addition it wouldn't surprise me if modders quickly created a bunch more units for differentiation. Total speculation on my part but making new units is pretty easy.
  2. rockobot

rockobot Member

I agree, if people want radically different factions, let them put it in themselves.

For instance, my new goal is to make a new faction that sprays seltzer water and throws cream pies.

The great thing about this new faction is that they only require one tiny little transport to move all of their units across the solar system.
  3. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Mike has 10 or 15 3D models waiting already. All they need are animations, preliminary textures and balance and he can release a big unit pack.
  4. technoxan

technoxan New Member

I think having normal units with special abilities would be pretty annoying for the commander to have to select a batch of units, select each different unit type and activate their ability.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Usually better to have units of the same class have the same ability's.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

And I'm working on more even as I'm on Vacation! :D

Mike
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This.

C&C Renegade was very well balanced, I like how both sides have completely different mid-tier units and vehicles, yet both were physically balanced to be equally strong. Equally strong as in someone physically played the two units against each other and tweaked the damage and speed and range and such until it became a balanced fight for both sides.

EVEN THEN, some people complain (and maybe understandably on some maps, C&C_Hourglass) that one side is unbalanced. So the best way to avoid faction-x-is-unbalanced threads spamming the game balance suggestion forums, is to have one faction. EVEN THEN, some smart *** is going to post that the faction is overpowered... lol.
  8. wintermist

wintermist New Member

If one wanted to go about a fairly easy path, one could change just the weapons, one fires lasers, one ballistic. It would look different, feel different, but be the same. I guess :)
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

A laser fires in a straight line. A ballistic weapon has a ballistic trajectory. Not the same thing.
    Unless you mean the gimmicky sci-fi laser that moves at the speed of ballistic projectiles of course.
  10. technoxan

technoxan New Member

I totally agree!!!!!!!!
  11. kmike13

kmike13 Member

If I see one more question about underground gameplay....
  12. wintermist

wintermist New Member

Sure, or maybe calling it plasma or whatever sci-fi lingo one can come up with, it would look different, but really just be the same. :)
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

;) It is rather frequently asked.
  14. garibaldi5

garibaldi5 New Member

I find all of these features very interesting.Thats the reason why im here and spending some of my freetime on this forum.

I especially like, that this developers are willing to take risks and come up with fresh ideas. Thats something which is rarely seen among most developers these days, who tend to play it save and bring out the x iteration of the same game,with the same gameplay mechanic .Not this ones , they have spirit. And kickstarter is a great way to reward this kind of braveness.

I just find, if they start going this way, they should not stop on the half(which they propably wont anyway , its just early alpha and they will come up with a lot of stuff we dont have seen jet).Sure there must be some gameplayrestrictions and features should only be implemented if they serve the game and make the game more compelling and interesting balancewise, but that being said, if you have an kind of "sandbox rts" ,where you can lift up and build on different planets and make asteroids in some kind of destruction tool and have huge amount of artillery if your economy can afford it, would it not be nice:

regarding undergroundplay

To have, as an counterplay, the ability to build under the earth/ground and move your expensive and vital (production)-buildings and resource collectors bunkerlike under the ground, if you have early scouted your opponent and expect some kind of early artillery from the moon or asteroids play.

So that you can survive the artillery long enough, without talking to much damage, to search for another planet before he hits you with the asteroids and move there with your structures. Or build underground some airunits, which are able to travel to the moon and kill him.

Is it even possible to "upgrade" (i know you hate that word) your buildings for the cost of energy, so that they can lift up from the ground and fly to an asteroid or another planet? I know your workers can travel to another planet but what about your buildings if you want to save them from incoming asteroids or proxy rush him at the moon. That would be nice to have.

And this is another point where i have a view questions to the developers:

Energystorage as an gameplaymechanic

Will there be an possibility to save your energie in form of battery's or an battery unit(something like a battery with wheels), to supply it in the battlefield or bring it on another planet, if the enemy trys to nuke your planet or trys to destroy your planet with an asteroid.

Would it not be nice, if the energy would not only be a number in the top on your screen , after you collected it, but would be stored in some kind of batteryblocks/ modular building structure and the enemy would be able to destroy some of these buildings with the consequences of you losing some amount of the collected energie. So that you must protect your battery-towers. There could be towers from different sizes and the player could choose, if he stores all energy in a few big towers, which would be relatively cheep metall wise, but risky because you would lose a huge amount of your energy when the enemy destroys it, or if he build a huge amount of small towers which would be more expensive but also more save, if the enemy uses as tactic to destroy your battery towers to cripple your economy.

Sattelite-scouting to find new planets.

Also if you start in an solarsystem do you see all the planets from the begining or do you have to satellite-scout them. I know you wanna keep it as simple and intuitiv as possible but not knowing how many planets are in the solar system or where they are would bring another element of scouting and suprise in the game.
    Last edited: June 2, 2013
  15. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Mm... I like brainstorming threads.

I want dust scramblers.

Dust is important. What else would make the Fog of War?

Dust would allow you to basically hide units inside the dust cloud.

Also I want directional armor. And armor thickness. And armor penetration.

WANT! WANT! WANT!
  16. garibaldi5

garibaldi5 New Member

Ignored. :lol:
  17. veta

veta Active Member

dust clouds would be to cloak what radar jamming is to stealth, interesting
  18. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

How far you can see, would also make it. That might not apply because of the size of planets, in some cases.
  19. xcupx

xcupx Member

yes, that would be interesting. I feel like I played a game with that somewhere before... oh right, it was called TA! It came out a while ago, idk if you've heard about it... ;P (sorry about the sarcasm, couldn't help myself)

But yeah, I'm pretty sure energy storage will be a thing in this game.

Very interesting ideas. Being able to bunker up underground sounds interesting but would lead to some ridiculous battles between two bunkered forces. This is why they don't want to put shields in. so you're basically replacing shields with bunkers. Which I am not opposed to (I like turtling sometimes too) but, it's already been decided they aren't doing shields so it wouldn't make sense if they took those out and then added bunkers.

and I think it would be cheaper to fly an engineer to the moon and build a new building than to fly a whole building up there.

I'm pretty sure this will be in the game too... it may be optional like previous games but that's a pretty standard option. fog of war. or in this case the grim darkness of the far future... I mean, space. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from the pre-alpha stuff we've seen so far so far and I bet they will add some more cool mechanics to make the game more fun. I'm mostly just excited to play with the engine so far though, should be a lot of fun, and we'll be able to make suggestions during alpha, beta, and beyond, within reason.

Once we get our hands on the game we'll be able to see a bit of how it will play and decide if it needs more mechanics. It's so easy to say "man it would be so cool if we could do this this and this!" but if you get caught up too much on all the things you could do that could be cool, you might lose sight of how cool the game already is, or will be. Just because you can add a million features doesn't mean that would make the game more fun. I've had this happen before where I've played a game and really enjoyed it and then an expansion or DLC comes out adding a bunch of new features and rebalancing the game, and suddenly I just don't enjoy the game as much. I'm all for features but I'd say they need to be well thought out and cohesive with the gameplay goals.
  20. godde

godde Well-Known Member

How far can you see? What can you see and how far away is it?