ALPHA ROLLOUT STATUS

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, June 1, 2013.

1. lynxnz

lynxnz Member

i'm super stoked about the client server model. has to be the best feature so far, finally it means multiplayer games are not limited by the slowest machine. too many times have i endured the pain involved with the weakest link slowing down the entire game for everyone, just didn't seem fair :)

there were a few occasions in other games where the player with the slowest sim was nuked first just to speed up the game :ugeek:

i'm also happy to be seeing the client only for now... forces more feedback and controls the exposure. hoping to see some large planets that 20 or more players can jump in and out of, but understand if this kind of load testing is later in the roadmap.
  2. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

I'm using EE which are terrible but its the same as any ISP in my area. Its all dependant on where you live. I live in the heart of England between leicester , rugby and birmingham. You would expect the connection around here to be fairly good. 3 miles down the road they have 70+ Meg fibre optic.

Will be moving somewhere different soon though and I can 100% assure you that broadband speed will be top of my agenda!
  3. dorlugas

dorlugas New Member

well, i'm glad the alpha is in sight :)

looking forward to play some matches to fellow backers. i guess and hope my machine and internet is capable for the alpha.

see you on a planet, ready to fight for it ;)

-DorLugas
  4. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I was convinced I would never have a need to abandon my beloved windows XP. but the alpha not supporting it was reason enough. I am now letting my windows 7 flag fly!

Bring on the Bugs!

One question, will you be sending out requests or lists of features and behaviors you would like us to test out and focus from time to time?
  5. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Are dual monitors supported for the alpha?
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

"For the alpha" is a rather ambiguous term. :) It's a three month alpha. It is not supported right now, but later in June? July? August? Hard to say, but I'd assume we'd want some multi-mon functionality by the end of alpha.
  7. kmike13

kmike13 Member

This is gonna screw my conputer. :D
  8. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

so, any word on the vs. computer AI? levels/complexity/that kindof thing......

quick edit: also, sandbox mode?
  9. mkultr4

mkultr4 Member

edit: failure to link a Ludacris "Roll Out" video

btw I hate Ludacris
    Last edited: June 2, 2013
  10. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Sorry, should've been more specific, I meant right now. Thanks for the response!

On the plus side it won't crush my computer more than it has to, now I've got a couple months to upgrade. :)
  11. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Here ya go :p
  12. AraxisHT

AraxisHT Active Member

How moddable will it be at this point?
  13. Baleur

Baleur Member

First Endless Space with it's community-driven development method.
    Then Planetside 2 with Roadmaps and weekly community-developer discussions.
    Now Planetary Annihilation with unseen early access.

THIS i the future of game development!
    This is how you build trust and community with your customers.
    Beware EA & Activision, your *cough* blatant Simcity5 lies pre-release *cough* ways won't last much longer.

I gladly pay 90 bucks for a game where the devs "give a s_t", than paying 60 bucks for a AAA release where the devs won't be heard from for months, even during beta.

Indeed! Instead of asking us to be understanding of bugs, we should be asked to make it seem even more buggy, as that will lead to things getting discovered and fixed!

LET'S WRECK THIS BI_CH!! :shock: :lol: :?
    It's gonna be great. Who can find the most bugs contest. Your prize is a polished game on release.
  14. owlbert

owlbert New Member

I'm so excited I might pee myself..
  15. Oblob

Oblob New Member

i cant wait untill i recieve alpha 7 days till my next exams, revising like crazy so i can take a day out and play PA before the exam, if i dont get pa before the exam just means ive done more revision :) so a win win situation.

on another note Kinematics is a bitch
  16. dacite

dacite Member

PA should help you out with that. You'll care a lot about kinematics when a meteor is heading towards you.
  17. redstar427

redstar427 Member

You might consider stating what that means in hardware, so that all those that want to play using the first Alpha can consider if any of their computer hardware needs an upgrade.

For example, even though my computers are fairly old, they should be fast enough:

Main computer (Linux):
    Intel i7 Hex-core cpu
    24 GB ram
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 580

Gaming computer (dual boot, Win 7/Linux):
    Intel i7 Quad-core cpu
    8 GB ram
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 580

I know many people have faster, more powerful computers, and many will probably have slower, less powerful computers. All wanting to play this game. :)
  18. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

If you can't run it, most people won't be able to and the Alpha will be a bit pointless until more optimized! So my guess is that computers slower than yours can handle it, but those ppl on laptops etc, or don't have video cards... they can't run it!
  19. whiskeyninja

whiskeyninja Member

Why has this thread been un-stickied?! How will we contain the hype?!

D:
  20. sabetwolf

sabetwolf Member

By constantly bumping of course.

I personally didn't get the alpha, as I couldn't at the time, but my friend did and i can not wait to go and purloin through the aspects available on his computer!