Linux Version in Alpha?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by d10sfan, May 20, 2013.

1. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Will the alpha include a Linux version?

If so, will it be available along with the rest of the platforms?
  2. soldans

soldans Member

I don't remember the source and I'm too lazy to find it, but I recall that I read that the plan is to release one platform at a time and when that works release the next one.

The reason is that it's easier to eliminate platform specific problems than generic problems.
    If release were to happen at all platforms simultaneously, then the Ubermench would have some troubles knowing whether the reported errors were platform-specific or not.

When enough Windows-people has been able to download the client and get the game running, it will come to Linux (and Mac).

So, just hang in there! Hopefully it won't be very long. :)
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

All of our platforms are being worked on simultaneously, but they won't be released at exactly the same time, due to issues with development platform differences.

The current plan is:
    - Windows 64-bit first (it's the most "known" quantity)
    - Mac and Linux will both follow quickly after, as we'll need time to test them and make sure they're as reliable on a game to game basis
    - 32-bit will follow as soon after as possible. We need to make it clear though that 32-bit is NOT ideal, even when it is supported. The addressable space alone will seriously limit the type of games you can play. It also means your computer is probably about 5 or 6 years old, and in serious need of an upgrade, as 2008 is pretty much the last time you could by default get 32-bit on anything except a netbook (I'm sure there are exceptions, but that's the rule).

None of this is in stone yet, but this is what we're working against. Well, other than windows. We know it's stable as that's what most of the office is, though we have people working regularly on Mac as well.
  4. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Out of curiosity, have you decided on how you will be distributing the (non-Steam) Linux version? I know you'll probably have some shell install script, like many of the Humble Bundle games do, but for those of us who want to use a native package manager, it would be handy if you provided a tar file so we can create our respective packages. I'm probably the only Slackware user, so I'll probably be the one putting together the required packages (and I could even provide you with a Slackbuild to do it yourself, if you prefer), but I'm sure there are Linux users here with experience in putting together deb/rpm/etc packages, if you don't already plan on supporting those by default.
  5. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

BTW, what are your plans regarding steam and 64-bit? AFAIK, steam doesn't have any plans for 64-bit support in the near future. What kind of binaries will you distribute through steam?
  6. sylvesterink

Steam doesn't need to have 64-bit support to serve 64-bit games. It runs independently of the games. In order to get Steam running on a 32-bit version of Linux, you will need to make sure you have the multi-lib packages installed that allows you to run 32-bit software on a 64-bit platform. (Most distros include these by default.)
  7. d10sfan

d10sfan Member

Ok, thanks for the information. So the Linux (and Mac) versions will come after the Windows alpha release. Does this mean that the Linux release will occur during the alpha period (just not on the first alpha release)?
  8. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

"Serve" is a funny term. If the game binary is 64-bit, it can't use steam api. I don't know if steam will allow to upload a game that is not using their api at all. Even if the game doesn't have any achievments, DRM or steam-enabled multiplayer, it still should show steam's overlay, right?
  9. sylvesterink

Steamworks has support for 64-bit games, including on Linux.
    Valve isn't stupid. I'm sure they are also aware that 64-bit gaming is the future, and as such, they will definitely support 64-bit games, especially in Steamworks. As for Steam itself, it would be nice if it were available in a 64-bit version, for those who don't want to bother manually installing multilib libraries (for those of us that would need to), but it gets no benefit from 64-bit support otherwise, hence Valve's apathy towards putting out a 64-bit version.
  10. antillie

antillie Member

Is anyone impatient enough to be willing to volunteer to be the first person to pioneer PA under Wine? :p
  11. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

What for? Who in the right mind will run PA under wine, when the native binaries will be there shortly after win's. I can't see a single benefit from running it under wine.
  12. atua

atua Member

Thanks for the honest feedback Garat, you have pretty much made up my mind for me to get Linux installed as a dual boot on my system, as my current 32 bit operating system won't cut it :) .

I kept on putting it off, and putting it off, but now, I have a solid reason to do it. :)
  13. antillie

antillie Member

That was the joke.
  14. redstar427

redstar427 Member

I believe I can be helpful testing out PA.
    I have 2 computers.

If I am able, I will be testing 3 different ways:
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, native hardware (DirectX 11)
    Win 7 Pro, 64-bit, in virtual machine (DirectX 9)
    Kubuntu Linux, 64-bit, native hardware (OpenGL)

I will first start with DirectX 11, to get a feel for how it performs and behaves there, and then the other two, if possible.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There is no DirectX support in Planetary Annihilation, OpenGL will be used for all platforms.
  16. redstar427

redstar427 Member

Oh, my mistake then. Actually, that might be better.
    Usually, OpenGL performance is faster in Linux than Windows. :)
  17. antillie

antillie Member

That is only because AMD and Nvidia spend a lot more time optimizing the DirectX portion of their Windows drivers than they spend optimizing the OpenGL portion.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's normal for Steam, just other example, this game is also OpenGL-only:
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/232050/

Probably it's just "default" system requirements which wasn't changed, or developers just don't want to get extra questions. In most cases DirectX 9 comparable with OpenGL 2.1.
  20. radistmorse

radistmorse Member

The problem is, that there is no widely-adopted video hardware measurement units. RAM can be measured in GBs, CPU can be measured in GHz, which is not really correct, but it's at least something.

And what about GPU? Size of VRAM? Not representative. Number of cores? Also not representative, and nobody knows it anyway. GPU clock? VRAM clock? Nobody understands that.

Version of directX on the other hand is simple. It's technically not really correct, since it's not exactly hardware driven spec, but it'll do.

Sometimes they use "shader model" number, which is the same as DX version, only more confusing.