Full Orchestral Score?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drewsuser, May 25, 2013.

1. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Not sure if this has already been discussed, but when I search it I seem to get way more posts than I care to read, so here we are. The $2,000,000 kickstarter goal, was a full orchestral score, but if Mostrom ( is that spelled right?) is doing all the sounds, in a very small room I might add, where did this " Full Orchestral Score" go, was it in the Planetary Documentary that was also promised in the campaign? I'm not hating, but I was getting worried these things were forgotten. I play in a band myself, so I was exited about it when it was announced a stretch goal, but since have not heard about it. If I missed an update or if it was cancelled, I'd like to know.
  2. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We were gonna have the full orchestra stop by the office and just play here. :)

In seriousness, for a full orchestral score, we choose our orchestra, and book time at the venue once we're ready to go through the full recording. This is done months in advance (the booking) and recording is usually done well before the game is done. But usually after the score is finished. ;)

Nothing's being forgotten, so no worries there. He does most of the audio design in said small office, but any orchestral recording is almost always done at a facility specifically designed for large group recording.
  3. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

Uber had a live stream where they talked quite a lot about the music progress and how they wanna record the orchestral soundtrack, I don't know which stream it was, but you should search for it... they really talked a lot about how they are doing it... the music I mean...
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That was the February 1st Live stream, for more info check out this thread.

For better searches, check out this Sticky Thread.

Mike
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The score is still on track but we are timing it for actual game release not alpha/beta.

We were talking about doing a pick up session sometime this summer to record a few promo pieces.

Howard has already written a lot of the score already and a lot of the music in already in the game in it's synth form.

The current plan is to record at Bastyr, as we made clear during the kickstarter process.
  6. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Hi Neutrino,

Is there a planning to let the community vote on the score?
  7. KNight

What is there to vote on? We already voted with our wallets on the stretch goal.

Mike
  8. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Maybe he means voting on the tracks?

Which seems a bit weird, because I trust Uber to only put in quality content, and why would I want to miss any of that?
  9. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I vote for metallica
  10. rorschachphoenix

Yeah, this is what I meant. Sometimes I have problems to write understandable in english.
    Why not ask the community which tracks they like the most?
  11. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Why wouldn't you want all the tracks Howard makes and an in-game jukebox?
    :?

Seriously? Cutting content like music is pointless after it's already been made. :|
  12. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Exactly my thoughts. :)

And yes! I want a jukebox like in Red Alert 2!
  13. rorschachphoenix

This is not what I mean.

I assume before the tracks are finished Howord have more tracks for selection, so he can choose which tracks he wants for the orchestral score and which not.

Every time I say something everybody misunderstand what I mean. Maybe it is my own fault, because my english is terrible. But okay. I'll give up.
  14. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Oh, you're saying that Howard makes, say, 30 tracks, and that only 10 can be done by the orchest?

Mhm, I know too little about it to comment on that. Of course, I hope that everything can be done by the orchest. :p
  15. KNight

Because the community aren't composers, Howard is.

Mike
  16. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

So much this. I'm sure not all of his musical ideas made it into the game in the first place.

I like the jukebox idea tho, even if it is all the synth tracks. Personally I'd love to hear both types of tracks.
  17. rorschachphoenix

What do you mean with that? Only people who are composers can say what they like?
  18. Pluisjen

Pluisjen Member

Only people who are composers should have a choice in what potentially hundreds of thousands of players get to hear.

The rest can say what they like if they want to, but that doesn't mean their opinion should carry any weight.
  19. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

It would be like someone with only knowledge of household wiring telling a power company lineman how to do his job.

You can always turn off the music and play what you have on your computer, in the background.
  20. mrwho

mrwho New Member

I hope we get to hear more of the cerebral stuff soon. All we've heard is the dramatic stuff, and while that's great, it loses all of its impact if that's all we have. I'm looking forward to hearing some base-buidling music.