Defense Game Mode

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by backdoornobaby, May 26, 2013.

?

Defense Game Mode?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. Needs Improvement (leave comments)

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. backdoornobaby

backdoornobaby New Member

So I haven't found any topics about this specifically, (point me in the right direction if there are) and I've been thinking, how about a defense game mode? Lets be clear here: NOT a tower defense

- Defense is key -

Sure I like making a massive army and rolling through a base (in this case a planet), or a good old fashioned 'Comp-Stomp', but what about the opposite? How about having a massive army smashed at the walls of your base, wiped out by those defenses you took so long to build? I tend to turtle up on these type of games, but I can't say that I really ever get the defenses fully tested or pushed to the limits once everything is built to my liking. By that time, the AI is out of resources and/or isn't 'smart' enough to keep going with tougher units; at which point the game just gets boring. And I don't want to turtle up and just wait to be attacked until the AI has enough resources to do so, that gets just as boring just as quick.

----So here's the full idea----

:arrow: I think a game mode that has progressively harder waves of enemies would be just as challenging and fun as galactic war. Maybe XX amount of levels that end after XX amount of waves (gives you something to beat), and then a final level that just keeps going (who can get to the highest level :?: ). Endless mode or something. (save enabled :?: )
    I'm not saying there should be enemy bases to defeat either. That defeats the purpose. Just hordes of units coming to wipe you out from nowhere in particular. Sure you can take more planets, resources, etc., (harder modes where you can't :?: ) but the waves of enemies will keep coming, and only get harder -- and the more you take, the more you have to defend, or lose. (sub modes: planetary/system/galactic :?: ) (co-op enabled :?: ) (any other ideas :?: )

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

If there is any one extra game mode added to this game, I would like this to be it. Obviously I wouldn't expect this right away with alpha or beta, but having it in the full game would be beyond awesome.
    Regardless, that's just my idea and opinion for one game mode in particular. Any constructive feedback on this idea would be nice.
  2. veta

veta Active Member

how is this not tower defense?
  3. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

Can almost guarantee that a hord mode like this would be made as a mod within the first month or two of release. StarCraft 2 is teaming with this sort of stuff.
    I like the idea but it seems PA will be more about the offensive units than the defensive ones. Mods will quench any need you have though.
  4. eeyrjmr

eeyrjmr Member

What about a dota-like mode
  5. backdoornobaby

backdoornobaby New Member

NO.

--------

And I didn't really want to count on modders to release a gamemode like this. Even if I do it myself. I'd rather have something that's legit for the game. Mods tend to have more issues than expected.

Maybe add in more of the groundwork basics for the game mode? As in: put the gamemode in there, just allow the users to set the parameters? (ie: planet count, max military size, number of waves of enemies, other variations, etc..)

I've just played too many games where the AI decides to wait until X amount of units are made to attack. If there aren't any resources for the AI, it tends attacks with crappy units. If there are plenty of resources for the AI, it tends to shoot it's load, then you have to wait for it to build up again, which could take ages.

I'm thinking something like when you get to a certain point (probably WAY up there in levels), a wave has 1 megabot and a bunch of smaller units (relative to the megabot). The next wave (or a few later) has 2 megabots, and so on and so on. If the amount of resources it takes to build those units are at the level I am expecting, then it will take the AI FOREVER to rebuild units.
  6. veta

veta Active Member

a racing mode would be good.
  7. Atriosuyria

Atriosuyria New Member

You should look up Survival type maps from SupCom FA. I think those are the types of maps you are trying to describe.
  8. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I think this mode is unnecessary with good AI. The problem you described to me sounds like an AI issue. With a properly adaptive AI this problem goes away because it learns which types of attacks don't work and either tries staged assaults (Navy/air bombardment of key installations followed by swarm cleanup crew) and targeted, focused assaults a specific key locations. With proper AI we can do away with sporadic, piddly waves and get into proper strategic assessment and commitment (ie. computer uses equations to determine your weakest installations with the most strategic value and waits until it has units enough to reach an overwhelming threshold of say 2 or 3 to 1). Then every game is essentially this game mode and more.
  9. boy42

boy42 New Member

Here is an idea; that the units come out of portals. However to prevent the fact that the player will surround the portals there are several of them.
    It could also work with space troops landing on sections of the planet and taking it.
    Finally I think that it would be good to include engineers who would start to construct structures, making the game harder as you would have to deal with enemay defenses and production facalities.