(Not Quite) For Backers Only: System Specs

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, May 21, 2013.

1. Kryptonian

Kryptonian New Member

Done!

I would like to mention that I am keeping an eye out for specs relating to dedicated servers as I plan on building a PA server to host games for myself and friends. I also plan to upgrade my main machine later this year.

I realize it is too early to guess at what we will need to run dedicated servers but I am sure others will be planning to do the same. So, I will be watching for more information! WOO HOO!
  2. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

I guess I am a bit confused why you have an opinion on what I should or should not buy and why.
  3. teradyn

teradyn Member

I have done some research for my own new system I am designing and have settled on the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. It seemed the right balance between capacity, performance and price.

The following links helped me solidify my decision:
    Samsung 840 Pro SSD: More Speed, Less Power, And Toggle-Mode 2.0
    Is A SATA 3Gb/s Platform Still Worth Upgrading With An SSD?
    One SSD Vs. Two In RAID: Which Is Better?

P.S. Done!
  4. Consili

Consili Member

All done : )

Thanks for letting us see the data, it is interesting seeing the breakdown in the community in terms of hardware.
  5. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i'll likely save up for the GTX 780, buy the 840 Pro this summer(I sort of had that one in my sights as well), and try to find a proper lappy.
  6. taihus

taihus Member

My toshiba laptop isn't even a gaming laptop (and cost a bit over 500CAD), but it's a trusty little machine that has yet to fail me and my gaming needs :D. Mind you, I don't exactly demand much from it, but the only game which has been unplayable for me so far was Planetside 2, and that was due to CPU bottlenecks! (god that game is terribly optimized)
  7. zurginator

zurginator Member

The day Photoshop and Inventor work on Linux, I'll switch. But that day will probably never come.

(And no, GIMP isn't an option)
  8. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

veleiro, it hurts me far more to see Mac users, if you think Windows is closed to locked apartment door level, then Mac is like the friggin' fort Knox, only this fort only accepts half of the gold people try to put in it.
  9. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Because I'm a computer technician and I help people with computers. It is my duty and honor to have such ability and rude people like you just encourage me to wear my cape more often and help the ones in need. I may not be able to fly but I sure as hell know how to give good advice! :ugeek:
  10. plink

plink Active Member

On the results page why are there two separate listings for some of the results?
  11. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Well, there's one group for the 32-bit users, and one group for the 64-bit users, if that was what you are referring too.
  12. anora

anora New Member

I noticed a flaw on your data collection

Radeon #000....
    that's old
    I think you meant Radeon HD #000

multiple graphics need's to be added for thos that are using cross fire or SLI
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Done.

I wonder why there is no option for people with multiple graphic cards. ;)
  14. qklilx

qklilx New Member

Done. I second the multiple card thing. I'm running discrete and whatever the opposite is called. lol
  15. rdlc1983

rdlc1983 New Member

16. yrrep

yrrep Member

While the rest of my hardware should be sufficient, I'm a bit anxious about my Intel HD Graphics 4000 not quite cutting it. I just hope I can disable enough eye candy in order to get a decent experience out of it.
  17. dude86

dude86 Member

Cool, done. It is obvious that a vast majority has x64 with a load of ram and a quad core.

Nice
  18. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

What the heck?
    So many people on Win 64 with good video cards.

But still so many people on dual cores! :shock:
  19. Consili

Consili Member

I guess it is a lot easier to update an OS and replace the graphics card, compared with replacing a processor which between dual cores and modern quad cores would require replacing the motherboard and possibly even the RAM as well.

Also between CPU, OS and Graphics card I would guess the CPU would be the least likely to cause a bottleneck in every day tasks with non CPU intensive games.
  20. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General