(Not Quite) For Backers Only: System Specs

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, May 21, 2013.

1. toorvis

toorvis Member

Do you guys know if the GTX Titan classify under the 600 series or if it is the start of the new 700 series?

*~ Chris
  2. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

Fingers Crossed...... :(
  3. StRaven

StRaven New Member

all done
  4. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

Slightly nervous the game won't be that well optimised for hex core processors. I should have spent the extra and gone with Intel :-/. Only 205 ppl have a hex core >.<
  5. zeroumus

zeroumus New Member

i was not sure what to call my titan too, I think its considered a 600 series actually
  6. dusey

dusey New Member

The Nvidia driver download page (manual driver search) lists the Titan with the 600 series.
  7. Kahdir

Kahdir New Member

Done!

Cant wait :D
  8. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

The Titan is in the same family as the 700 series, or perhaps more accurately it's a consumer version of the NVidia Tesla K20 (GK110) compute hardware, of which the GTX 780 (GK110-300-A1), due out tomorrow, will be derived from and the other cards in the 700 series will share features with. Similarly the GTX 670 (GK104-325-A2), GTX 680 (GK104-400-A2) and GTX 690 (GK104-355-A2) were based on the NVidia Telsa K10 (GK104), with the 690 being the closest in specs to the K10.

However, since it came out prior to the 700 series reveal it appears to be software limited to the 600 series feature set.

If you followed all that, the GTX 770 is code named the GK104-425-A2, which means it's likely the exact same hardware as the GTX 680 just clocked higher.

It's not been unusual for NVidia cards from entirely different series to actually have identical internal hardware, just clocked a little different and some extra features unlocked.
  9. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Done! Wow. Very interesting Stats indeed.

I bumped up my RAM like crazy after my birthday, glad I'm not the only one with unnaturally high amounts of RAM :D
  10. metzelmann

metzelmann New Member

11. xanatosx

xanatosx Member

Done

Can't wait to start playing the Alpha.
  12. Artwarp

Artwarp New Member

Done.

No rush for alpha guys. Waiting for an awsome game is a healthy waiting :ugeek:
  13. cobycohodas

cobycohodas Member

Still have a I7 920 & ATI card 5870 I think. I think for Alpha and Beta, this should be fine. Especially if we are confined to a planet for now, or moving between a couple at most.

No point doing super upgrade until closer to game release. For now I will see how this system works, but in September- December time period likely to buy a whole new computer and give this to my fiance (wife by December).

Definitely want to get something amazing when I do get a new comp. 32gigs of ram for sure... whatever the top of the line single GPU video card is, and probably the 6 core intel haswell CPU that is launching in September.
  14. pizwitch

pizwitch Active Member

Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. Done. STOOOP! :x

PS: Done.
  15. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I'm truly hoping you don't plan to upgrade that system for games only. Also its gonna take about 5 years for home computers to start utilizing 32 gigs of ram. Biggest and most expensive doesn't always mean most efficient.
  16. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

Blargh, I need some advice. What SSD would you guys recommend, considering I don't want to pay more than 500$ and I need at least 128 GB? Also, if I buy a 680, will I be able to use it for very long, or should I save up for a 690, a TITAN, or the 780?

Also, a gaming laptop, no matter the price. I don't need maxlevel bells and whistles. Let's say i want to be able to run Supreme Commander, Trine, and League of Legends at 60 fps for all of them.
  17. thgr8houdini

thgr8houdini Member

Done! Excited for alpha

i7-2700k
    nVidia 560Ti
    8GB RAM
  18. redstar427

redstar427 Member

There are many good SSD's, and most are about $1 usd per GB. I prefer Samsung or Crucial, but there are many others with very good performance and ratings.

For video GPU, I usually suggest buying the best one you can afford to get the longest life.
    Like maybe the 780 or Titan, but probably the 680 is the best value and plenty powerful enough if you play on just one screen. If you are going for multiple monitors, you might want to get the best card you can.

I cannot give much advice on gaming laptops as I don't use them, but there are some designed for gaming, like Alienware, or others that have GPU's like 680M, or newer ones that will eventually have 780M.
  19. gerii

gerii Member

You get on average 16% more performance with the 780 and 24% more performance with the Titan compared to the AMD Radeon 7970 GHz Edition (Source). The AMD card is on average slightly faster than the 680.
    You have to decide for yourself if those performance gains are worth around 250-300$ more for the 780 (or even more for the Titan).
    I personally don't see a reason to buy a more expensive card than the 680 or the 7970 GHz edition as they have more than enough power for current games at 1920x1200. The 7970 GHz edition is currently cheaper than the 680 so I'd go for the 7970 GHz edition.
  20. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

There is no such thing as a gaming laptop. Any serious technician will refer to gaming laptops as "gaming" laptops simply cause its easier to explain a laptop that has a dedicated graphics card and customers like to hear it.

If you want a laptop to play games on, make sure it has excellent cooling and a dedicated graphics card. A good keyboard would be preferred as well. Many laptops have very fragile and weak keys that can get worn out pretty fast if you play a lot.

I'd always recommend Acer or Toshiba, those laptops are win.