(Not Quite) For Backers Only: System Specs

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, May 21, 2013.

1. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Put my Linux system forward, looks like a lot more Linux players than Mac!
  2. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

The number of Linux players answering the poll is very encouraging!
  3. macbhaird

macbhaird New Member

4. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Indeed I hope this puts Linux closer in the developers minds for an earlier version.
  5. sal0x2328

sal0x2328 Member

The 87 other people w/ RADEON 3000/4000 series cards make me feel better, but I think I should upgrade anyway the question would be would it be better to:

a) get a new GPU (I have a HD 3850 512MB; was thinking of getting anything from a 650 to a 660 Ti) even though I have PCI Express 1.1 mother board, an old Quad (Q6600 B3 at 3 GHz), and 4 GB of RAM (it runs Server 2003 R2 32-bit and Server 2008 R2 64-bit in dual boot at the moment)
    b) use that spare SR-2 motherboard running.
    c) wait it out for Haswell to launch and get a LGA 1150 system running.
    d) not worry about this for now

I think I could get the SR-2 running w/ X5650s and 24 GB ram for or could put together a nice LGA 1150 system (i5-4670k and 16 GB ram) for the same price (about $1400, the cost of a case, and a free copy of a Windows Server OS or Linux) but it would be nice to see what hardware the game works well on first.

Maybe I should start a topic for this but in one of the PA forums or in Unrelated Discussion?
  6. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

So, I had a thought while I was nursing my first cup of coffee today:

How many 32Bit OS users will upgrade their systems till X-Mas?

PA will be released in December according to Uber's schedule. I'm wondering how many players will upgrade their system at that point and how many 32Bit systems will be left half a year from now.

And would it be okay for you guys to dual boot Linux 64Bit until you get a new Windows 64 OS?
  7. zenomaddog

zenomaddog Member

DONE :D

Can't wait for Alpha!
  8. tanksy

tanksy Member

Done for both my laptops and my desktop PC
  9. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Given you my specs although by the time beta comes around i should have a more upto date graphics card i think my 260GTX is getting a bit to old now!
  10. Veleiro

Veleiro Member

It still hurts me to this day to see so many windows users...

:(

They destroy all openness
  11. gerii

gerii Member

I currently have a Radeon HD 4850/Phenom II X4 955/8GB RAM and am waiting for Haswell to come out to upgrade to it together with a Radeon HD 79xx graphics card.
    I'm also waiting for PA to come out to see if I should just keep the 8GB of RAM or if I should upgrade to 16GB.
  12. turpiini

turpiini Member

Do we have a choice? Or even a need for something else? :?:
  13. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Well, it's understandable for gamers. Up until recently, there hasn't exactly been an abundance of games available for Linux. Also, the state of graphics drivers on Linux hasn't been fantastic in the past, so that hasn't helped.
  14. therishka

therishka New Member

Done
  15. sil3ntspy

sil3ntspy New Member

16. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Why would you expect me not to run Windows on my gaming rig, if 90% of the games I play are Windows only? ;)

OS choice, like hardware choice, is and should be driven by requirements. I use Windows for gaming, and I currently use Linux for boxes that I don't intend to play games on. Recent developments (no pun intended) with Steam for Linux and now PA mean I may start to re-evaluate those choices when I next look at updating a gaming box, especially if more game developers start catering for POSIX compliant OSs :mrgreen:

Note: PA is being released as proprietary software, it would be a little incongruous to deride people playing it on a proprietary operating system. Feel free to deride me for playing Spring or (the GPL) Warzone 2100 on it though, that I can completely understand ;)
  17. locutusmod

locutusmod New Member

Finally done for my laptop.
  18. mcodl

mcodl Member

Done for both my Linux laptop and Windows desktop.
  19. Nelec

Nelec Member

Very interesting to see the results at the end, 4% of people with 32 bit Windows... yeahhhhhhhhh
  20. redfang87

redfang87 New Member

quiet surprised at the number of people with still 512mb mem or less and 2bg of ram im thinking they gonna struggle a bit :p