Alpha/Beta OS?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Yourtime, September 10, 2012.

1. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

Hello,

This is maybe not really important for the release people, but for the >-20$-not-windows backers. Will you bring out the alpha/beta for OSX and Linux too?

I mean, in the worst case I will use bootcamp, but maybe interesting for some backers.

yours Yourtime
  2. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

I don't see why they wouldn't. :lol:

They probably can but they might be buggier than the Windows versions.
  3. sergiomoura

sergiomoura New Member

As an OSX developer, I'd be happy to hunt for engine and game bugs on Alpha/Beta releases.
  4. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

well who not ^^.

I have the feeling TA had a bigger developer fanbase than many other games.
  5. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

I'd be very very impressed if they managed a simultaneous platform release/development.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The engine is built multi-platform from the ground up. Currently already runs on mac/linux/windows.

The exact timing of alpha/beta released is TBD and we may stagger them a bit and/or concentrade on particular platforms at particular times.
  7. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

Hah, great.
  8. erudil

erudil New Member

As long as I get my OSX fix in the end I'm fine either way.

There was a time when I'd grudgingly reboot to windows to play a game or two, but lately I find myself just not bothering with a game if it's windows only. In fact I don't bother with games unless they run on windows, mac AND linux anymore - even though I jumped ship from linux to mac over six years ago.

As you can imagine I'm not going broke on games any time soon. Thanks for letting me finally spend a little, Uber!
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Just make sure to give us a notice that the alpha will start at date X, as soon as you know X, and try to hold that. I would rather have the alpha a week later than have the startdate jump around.
    I need to have vacation for this, so I need to make sure I am not too involved in projects@work at that time.
  10. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

thank you!
  11. xanderdrax

xanderdrax New Member

On the topic of running Bootcamp, I've occasionally had issues running games on my mac under Bootcamp. I have more than enough specs for running this (good computer, 64-bit windows 7, etc.), but was wondering if this game will run without any issues. I am, of course capable of running this on the OSX side, but I like to keep all my games on the Windows side of my computer. Since I'll be in the Alpha and onward, I plan on testing how well things go with Boootcamp, because I don't know how many others in the Alpha/Beta will be running under Bootcamp especially since there will be an OSX version. I expect that there won't be any issues, there rarely are, but thought I'd ask anyway.
  12. antillie

antillie Member

I think you will probably be the very first person, including the guys at Uber, to test PA under boot camp. So I guess you will get to find out the fun way.