Soooo. About that Occulus Rift thing.

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Skelingtonking, May 21, 2013.

1. Skelingtonking

Skelingtonking Member

I am super pumped for that. And I have not seen anyone try a third person game with it yet. but I think that would be incredible.

I mean the whole idea of third person is essentially being a disembodied camera viewing the thing you are controlling. so why not have full view of that whole 3d world.

I really think this device can really change gaming into something really epic, what are you guys's thoughts on it?
  2. Orome

Orome Well-Known Member

I'm interested as well but I am concerned about health issues, sitting infront of a monitor for long time does harm your health but with a monitor on your face... I dunno.
  3. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are things that are just as harmful that people still use. Who wants to go on a fancy GMO tirade?
  4. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Somebody e-mail me when they finally manage to drop the output latency to acceptable standards.
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Yeah, like automobiles...
  6. jbeetle

yep plenty of examples.
  7. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

On topic: The VirtualBoy left a sour taste in my mouth regarding VR.
  8. jbeetle

oh right, i heard people could either not see the color red after a while or only saw red...I forgot which.
  9. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

10. jbeetle

it's neat, but idk if I'd use it practically.
  11. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Gimmicks for geeks. I don't see things like this going mainstream during my lifetime.
  12. FireflyJenkins

FireflyJenkins Active Member

Well, I feel like people will be getting closer and closer to VR through gaming's time, but it will most likely be for the hardcore gamers. Technology is always advancing, so who knows where the gaming industry will be in 10 years.

Some things are cool, and some things are realistic. This is cool but probably something that isn't going to be hitting households en masse for quite some time, or ever.
  13. Orome

Orome Well-Known Member

Oh dont get me started on those, aparently the loudest automobiles/motorcycles in this country considered the best choise. Live where I live and have every damn night some jerk probably drunk as f*ck passing by with the music on so loud all the windows in my house tremble and sometimes even stoping and sitting there for a minut or so.Then my eye starts to twitch and i feel like I might kill somebody, unhealthy.
  14. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I wouldn't use it for multiplayer things, except maybe that dogfighting game CCP is doing, but it looks awesome for stuff like TES games and more immersive singleplayer stuff
  15. criticalage

criticalage Active Member

I know which community will flip the heck out of this thing when it comes out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. billysaurus

billysaurus Member

Gross.
  17. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

I think hardcore gamers will be the absolute last to switch to this kind of stuff, like how hardcore gamers stick to PC's now. Once it gets to a point where it's relatively cheap, I think the casuals will flock to it, which in turn will mean that most games compatible with/designed for VR will be casual, so no hardcores will even be tempted to buy the hardware.

Though we might be talking about different kinds of hardcore.
  18. jesus187

jesus187 New Member

I don't know if it succeeds, companies have been trying for the last 30 years with all kinds of strange goggles and glasses to make VR work but the biggest problem is that the most VR gadgets don't look cool, they look big and sluggish.

I think things like illumiroom and even interacting with illumiroom would be more going to the next step then another set of goggles.
  19. comham

comham Active Member

I'm looking forward to it. I'd buy a dev kit if I had the spare dosh. I'm almost certainly going to buy the consumer version. Rifted PA would be pretty cool; apparently it gives a good sense of scale, so looking at a little weeny miniature planet covered in fighting toy robots would be incredible. Or if you tweak the settings slightly, watching giant robots wage huge battles.

Is it going to be mainstream? Probably not CoD-levels. Is it going to have a following big enough for neat content? I'd bet yes.
  20. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I think hardcore in this context means people who take gaming as a whole seriously, as opposed to people who just occasionally play stuff on an xbox with their kids or such