The Black Hole

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by gutzgore, May 21, 2013.

1. gutzgore

gutzgore New Member

Has the question of Black Holes being a game feature been discussed?

Since we are talking about galactic battles, I would like to see something with Black Holes, Wormholes, Super Nova, and or other space phenomenon.

Could Black Holes potentially be used to your benefit? Can a Wormhole be opened up to move units through space?

What havoc could a Black Hole or Super Nova cause to your units or be inflicted upon another army if that power were somehow harnessed?

I realize this could be out of the scope of the game's initial release but...
    Just a thought....
  2. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

If that's going to be done at all (which i doubt) it'll be done in the galactic war, not in the regular battle-mode I assume. Black holes are just of an entirely different scale than what this game is build around so in the GW.... It could perhaps be interesting... in the regular battles... nehh.. not so much
  3. teradyn

teradyn Member

Most of the discussion has centered around black holes forming during skirmish maps which has been pretty much shot down, and rightly so. Whether black holes will show on the galactic map, it could be possible as decoration, but what kind of battle would you fight near one? Why would there be a solar system intact close enough to any of the mechanics that you mentioned to even play on?

You may want to look up some of the phenomenon you listed and look at the forces and dimensions. A black hole is very nasty. Super Nova doesn't just happen with a sun like the one we have here near earth. There are phases a star goes through that destroys any planets near them many hundreds of years before the actual Nova.

Harnessing the power of one of these phenomena is something that a Type 2 civilization may possibly be capable of, or maybe something like Type 2.5. Trouble is, the type of civilization represented in the TA universe is approximately a Type 1.5 with the exception of the teleportation capability. The types I refer to are from the Kardashev Scale. It could also be argued that since we can not build the metal planets, but just find and re-activate them, that the robotic armies that survived the 'Progenitors' are a small step down in civilization levels from what had existed previously and thus are incapable of more than small scale implementations of those types of projects and this makes the use of power harnessed from such sources impossible.
  4. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I think Commanders (if you can call them a civilization) are probably even lower than type 1, despite interstellar travel capability.

Also, the only functional difference between a star and a black hole is light.
  5. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

there should be a super-massive black hole in center in each and every template of galaxy in galactic war mode
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I see you're new to the forums, and welcome!

Please do a search before posting in accordance with the forum rules.

Black holes have been discussed on the forums quite a few times and the general consensus on the forums is no.

Black holes are more of a "everybody lose" technique rather than one player winning. It doesn't make sense from a lore or scientific standpoint, nor would it make for enjoyable gameplay.

Wormholes aren't needed in gameplay since we're only fighting in one solar system at a time, and we already (will) have teleporters.
  7. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

well adding a black holes in galactic war mode just for appearance would be nice, hence when you are playing and then you zoomed out to space level view you may see a distant black hole, in addition a galaxy should have a super-massive black hole in it center
    so my point that black hole may be good for game appearance in galactic war mode