Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I can understand that some players don't want to use Steam. I had my reservations back in the day and had not used Steam before Monday Night Combat. Later, especially during my time as alpha tester for Super Monday Night Combat I came to realize why Steam is so popular. Not only does it provide gamers with a lot of really useful features (download at any time, local backup, cloud sync, screenshots, chat, voice chat, custom groups...) it has some nifty features for developers and beta testers as well.

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say but I can assure you I was impressed! It's tried and tested, convenient, fast and has lots of very useful features for customers and developers.
  2. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

One of the reasons I pledged on KS for this game (other than it being Awesome™) was that it would not require Steam or any other form of what I consider to be DRM. If other people prefer to use Steam, that is fine with me. As long as I don't have to, I'm happy.
  3. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member

You've got it haven't you, you bugger :lol: don't lie to me now :twisted:
  4. replica69

replica69 New Member

Hi there guys, can please some one can say to me, how much (+/-) will cost the early access on steam ?
    I want to pre-order the galactic edition because i want to play on alpha, but it cost 90$... Will be steam early access cheaper ?

(sorry my inglish, i'm portuguese :p )
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Steam will probably not be much cheaper, if it all, since it would be kind of unfair to KS-Backers that payed 90$+ for alpha.
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Steam access will not be cheaper. It will be the same price as our store. This was set as a part of our Kickstarter, and it's why we chose the prices we did.
  7. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

I'm of two minds on it, as an Alpha backer, it's only fair, but I know that price-tag will produce fireworks in the steam community. This is one of very few games I have ever gone out on such a limb for, and that's only because it is the spiritual successor to one of my favorite games of all time.

Not really sure how to reconcile the two. I suppose as knight suggested, they could strip out some of the extras to reduce the price, and keep those open as an extra-cost option.

Garat, good luck man. I certainly don't disagree with the decision to honor the kickstarter crowd, but I hope you guys know what you're in for with that community.
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Honestly it's a really good way to keep the chaff out. This isn't liek a lot of the 'popular' Alphas that mainly boil down to "herp derp imma playin' da gaem errrrly", if people don't like the price, they don't have to pay it and can wait for release. Uber doesn't owe them anything.

Mike
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah a 90$ pricetag on a game on steam definitely does kind of look weird. It might be a good idea to clearly state that the price will go down in beta/release and why it is at that level or it might give the impression that Uber is pretty greedy.
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

We get less money from individual Steam sales than from direct sales, so if anything we should charge more for Steam Early Access. ;)

Seriously though, I'm sure people will complain $90 is too much for the game on Steam, even though there are several games that have prices that high or higher for a "digital collector edition" or similar. That pretty similar to what this is, just one of the perks is very early access unlike those other games.

It's also been mentioned before, alpha is going to be a much more rough game than most people are used to experiencing. It's not necessarily in our best interest to price it such that it makes sense for everyone to buy it. Presumably if you're willing to pay the price you know what you're getting in to.
  11. replica69

replica69 New Member

Ok, thank you :D
  12. Col_Jessep

No. I was talking about my experience during the closed alpha test for SuperMNC. It was impressive how fast a patch could be distributed worldwide on Steam and the extra features it offers for developers and internal testers. Then Steamworks and all the APIs Steam provides for developers.

But unfortunately I'm not allowed to talk about details, even if they might be common knowledge by now.
  13. Causeless

Causeless Member

I'd just like verification - will our USB keys include the extra commanders, provided we backed at a high enough level?
  14. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Your extra commanders are tied to your account and already exist in your account (I just looked).

Steam exists for those people who want to play through Steam. People asked for it, we supplied it. However, just because you are running steam doesn't mean you aren't logged into UberNet. We simply auto log you in using your Steam credentials.
  15. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member

I agree with this, had the same experience with SPAZ. Very good platform for testing.
  16. Causeless

Causeless Member

That's really cool, thanks :)

Though, what about any extra commanders given to you? Would they also be tied to your account, and thus go over both your USB key and digital key, or are given commanders any different?
  17. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Hi,

Might be weird, but i just realized i NEVER used Steam.

This draw out a question :
    Is there any kind of reason for me to activate my key on Steam ?
    Will it make my life easier or give me a full bunch of nice stuff ?
    (Col_Jessep post seems to indicate that yes, but it's not very clear for a profan like me)

Or the experience will be very close/nearly identical via UberNet ?

Thanks !
    (crap, i feel like a dinosaur right now...)
  18. Col_Jessep

Well, will Steam make your life easier. As far as PA is concerned: maybe, maybe not. PA is not designed around Steam and its many features. We don't know if it will make use of them.

However, I would recommend that you try Steam out anyway. It is easy to keep track of your friends, find people who have the same interests or just send somebody a quick message. Or you can use the Steam interface even in non-Steam games. It allows you to take screenshots, chatting without tabbing out of the game...

It's really convenient. Same goes for managing your games. I recently had to move and it would have been horrible to find all my games on DVD and install them again. On Steam every game is just a few mouseclicks and a download away.

Now where it gets really interesting is if you have a game that has been designed with Steam features in mind. Steam has a library for mods for games that support their 'Workshop'. If I want to play Skyrim on a new PC I can just download it and Steam will get all my subscribed mods from the Workshop and sync my save files. I can literally continue playing exactly where I left off on any place on the globe with a decent internet connection. I love that!

I actually hope we can get some of the features into PA but it might not be that easy with Linux, Mac and standalone version. We will see.

You can try out Steam anyway and just try one of the free to play titles it offers. http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Free%20to%20Play/
  19. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Are you asking if all your commanders (alpha, progenitor, delta, theta) will be available to all the keys that you ordered/preordered?
  20. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Thank you My Good Sir :)

I'll create an account and try it out For Science.

For now, i think i will use UberNet, and i'll convert the key to Steam if i feel it will be nice for my usage.

Regards,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.