Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Causeless

Causeless Member

As someone with alpha, I don't see why the alpha and beta early access versions even need always online DRM anyways,
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Because the moment they release the server the game will end up on warez-sites, which is an especially bad thing to happen for an early unfinished version of the game.
  3. veta

veta Active Member

why is that bad?
  4. Causeless

Causeless Member

Why is that such a bad thing? Pirates exist, there's nothing we can do about them.

Anyways, DRM doesn't work. There's literally only one singular game where the DRM hasn't been broken (H.A.W.X 2) and that's because nobody wants to play it.

This just harms those of us who paid over 4x the price of the base game.

Edit:

If we used the same key for both, or had some system which meant we could both have a Steam copy and a UberNet copy, that'd be fine, regardless of whether there are keys involved etc. The important thing is the fact that once we convert to Steam, the UberNet copy will be deliberately removed.
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  5. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

This is what I want to do as well.

To be clear I trust you guys (Uber) to do the right thing, I and other would just like clarification because what you have said seems kind of odd. Not attacking ya'll or anything.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Cause many pirates wont even understand that the game they just randomly downloaded is unfinished and are therefore likely to get a pretty first impression of it.
  7. Causeless

Causeless Member

So either Uber screw over the paying customers by only letting us play with a consistent internet connection (guys in rural areas or with bad internet connections can just go and wait, realizing their 90$ pledge was a waste), just so they can stop pirates (people who aren't buying the game anyways) from thinking it's bad.

Or, alternatively, they ignore the pirates who'll have already researched the game anyways and don't screw over customers, some of which have paid $5000 or $10,000.

Such a difficult decision.

Anyways, again, DRM doesn't work. Pirate's will find a way.
  8. slashout

slashout New Member

Just to inquire about this.
    Does this mean that we will not be able to play offline for alpha/beta even if we register our game online at the installation (or whatever is needed)?
    The Alpha being released for summer, lot's of us might go on holidays. Me included. Internet isn't really an option where I am going, although I always bring my gaming laptop with me for single player games.
    So this quote. Does it mean : "no internet = not even IA skirmish until full release"?
  9. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Dude, you're reading way too much into this. There isn't going to be always online. This has been discussed countless times.
  10. Causeless

Causeless Member

But they've admitted it'll be in the alpha and beta.
  11. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

What's wrong with that?
  12. Causeless

Causeless Member

It's pointless, it only harms paying customers, it means everyone going on holiday this summer without internet cannot play, and in general just causes issues.

My main gripes, however, are with the Steam key decisions.
  13. Polynomial

Are you aware of the definitions of alpha and beta? Zero promises were made regarding them besides being able to play them.
  14. Causeless

Causeless Member

That's not the point.

I'm just saying, having the alpha and beta DRM locked makes not too much sense overall.
  15. Polynomial

I don't think its really about piracy. Uber, very fairly, just wants control of their product until they fulfill the Kickstarter promises in December.
  16. warexe

warexe New Member

I'd like to play on steam most the time, but sometimes that's not a option for me due to moving around a lot and having poor internet more often than not.

Will it not be possible to play standalone at all if we register our key (final release) on steam?

I kind of assumed our game key would be linked to our Uber account and launching via steam or stand alone wouldn't matter so much as would still have to log in to connect to the Uber net services.
  17. thapear

thapear Member

I don't understand why this discussion even exists.

They're making the game. They want to keep alpha & beta access limited. We're not in a position to be making demands.

If they say they'll release the game DRM free, that says nothing about before the release.
    If an internet provider tells you you'll get unlimited internet in December, you're not really in a position to demand unlimited internet in October, now are you?

Uber, I think you're making a very wise decision limiting access during the alpha/beta. Please do not change your plans because a select few are whining about having bad internet access during the testing period they wouldn't have had without you.
  18. Moranic

Moranic Member

I get your point of view. But you are missing the point. People would like to play the Alpha on LAN on multiple PCs without having to buy multiple Alpha keys. Is this possible (with/without Steam) or will the DRM not allow this?

How about having your Alpha activated once and then you are allowed to play on LAN once you don't login to UberNet? So you login once, and then you can play LAN without having to login (no online play without login though). A bit like the Minecraft system. Once you have logged in for the first time, you unlock the "Play Offline" function, which allows LAN play and singleplayer, but no multiplayer on online servers.
  19. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Then people miss the entire point of alpha and really need to get themselves educated a bit.

Its highly unlikely that alpha would even be stable enough, that you could do a full game without it crashing.

The alpha is here to get feedback from the community about the game, its not there for the impatient to play the game.

Soliciting feedback is much easier for uber, when it happens over their own servers. They can get easy statistics from all the games that get played, they'll have access to all the replays for bug reports, etc.

Giving people the server software just so they can play on their own doesn't help with the game development (which is the purpose of alpha) and it actually wastes their time when they'll have to support it. Additionally, you'll end up with people playing all sort of outdated versions of the game, making bug reports about issues that have been resolved ages ago. Having alpha be online-only makes this a non issue.

It's nothing to do with piracy, its because the alpha is for game development. :!:
  20. Devak

Devak Post Master General

It makes a TON of sense.

If Uber just dumps it on the internet and it's completely DRM free:

-buying alpha access makes no sense
    -a lot of damage can be done because people see an incomplete product and think it's the real product.

It makes sense that it's limited in access. This is a very delicate phase. It needs to be treated delicately.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.