LiveStream: May 17th, 2013 & Post Livestream Q&A Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, May 10, 2013.

1. veta

veta Active Member

You can also take cover behind something e.g. relief of the land or wall fortifications (if they go that way with walls).
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Good one, added.

Mike
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

.... so bout 4 more month of painful waitng .....arrrrrrrghhh

... will you guys attend gamescom this year?
  4. gytrash

gytrash New Member

Wow, first post on these forums, let's make it a long one then.

Okay, I've been looking through the forums and the livestreams and other videos and something that I don't think has been asked yet is how exactly is Radar going to work on a spherical planet, in Supreme Commander for example the radar displayed greyed out representations of the strategic icon for that type of unit, land, sea, air, building. In total Annihilation however there was no display of Radar units on the screen itself they were only shown on the mini-map, and hidden from the screen immediately after you lost line of sight to them. My question is this, without a dedicated mini-map, how will you display units on a 3d planet without things on the other side of the planet messing with your radar, for example if I am in the enemy base, that is directly opposite my base, will I have a bunch of strategic icons for stuff in my base being shown through the planet or will the strategic icons be hidden. Likewise if the enemy has radar coverage of my base, will his base be swamped with greyed out strat icons making it hard for him to control his base. (I had to start up TA to confirm how the radar worked there :p)

Another question is this, will I be able to hit a button and have the screen automatically split and focus on separate planets, this would allow me to get a quick overview of what is happening on all of my planets at once. It would also allow me to issue orders more efficiently.

I probably had more but I missed out on the typing up that first big paragraph. I hate trying to decide where the full stop goes and normally use commas instead :D
  5. KNight

You're far from the first unfortunately, you can check the Topic Index and Try a few searches, you should be able to find them.

Mike
  6. Consili

Consili Member

This is an interesting detail and I have a question in relation to that.

Lets say I convert to a steam key and I am playing PA on my home computer, but I decide to go to a friends house or a LAN and they have PA installed (but using ubernet rather than steam). I had imagined that I would have a log in or something similar that would allow me to access my PA persona independent of the installation type, (in order to prevent playing on a steam installation and ubernet installation simultaneously) or would I need to install steam and download it on my steam account to play it on another computer?

Perhaps I am just getting myself confused and misunderstanding the system.

Another question. I backed during the kickstarter and one of the things I opted for was an extra beta key to gift to my brother. At the time there was no option for purchasing an extra alpha key (that I could see perhaps I am wrong). However now I cannot see a way to upgrade that extra key to an Alpha key. Is there going to be a way to do this prior to alpha release? As it stands it could be months before I am able to play a game with him which is a bit of a shame.
  7. KNight

Consili I think the idea is it will work like Games for Windows Live games, just with UberNet instead.

So if you register it on Steam, you'll have to use steam to update/Launch the game, but once launched it does all it's magic via UberNet.

Mike
  8. Consili

Consili Member

Somehow I have managed to completely avoid any games that used 'Games for Windows Live' but I think I get the idea, thank you for clarifying.

I guess it isn't a decision I have to make right away in any case.
  9. tollman

tollman Member

I just want to say thanks to Uber for continuing to share their progress; the game is looking great and I am glad you are taking longer on it before releasing the complete version.

I particulary liked the solar system view with the sun, planet and moon. That window is going to look great with mulitple disparate planets, moons and asteroid belts whizzing about. Very cool.

T.
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

OUCH !!!!!!! :shock:
    What a Nice livestream !!!!!!!!
    1) Q&A + In game videos at the same time => Best approach so far.
    2) The game look and feel gets better and better over time. Seriously it's just amazing to watch all these improvements within only 2 weeks.
    3) The way you involve people in game developement and QA is revolutionary, never seen before and i'm pretty impressed about how you seem to master all this with a such little team. you obviously have the best of the best team !!!!

I know i have allready said this and this is not a big contribution, but again, i've never felt so proud of being part of this game funding. Thanks for showin us your commitment to deliver a very incredible and innovative RTS.
  11. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Am i the only one who jumped up from his seat when the artillery piece took out an aircraft?

Seriously, that was AWESOME.
  12. soldans

soldans Member

When in the livestream is that? I'm too distracted by my hype.
  13. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Nope, that made my day too. I love RTS with real simulation.

Another thing I really liked was the dynamic lighting. The tanks illuminate the terrain but the shadowdrop of the terrain based on the position of the sun is even better. When Garat fast-forwarded the Chrono Cam and the shadows started moving... AWESOME!!!

The PA engine puts everything I have seen in previous RTS games to shame and it's not even in alpha. As map maker in SupCom I often asked myself: 'What else can we do with the SupCom engine?' With PA it's as if I had to ask: 'What can't we do with the PA engine?'

I'm really impressed with what I have seen in the live stream. Uber just adds one layer of awesome on top of another and Jon presents a small solar system with dynamic lighting as if it was nothing. 'Yeah, sure you can have meteor showers. Just put them in the map. That's the way the engine works.' HOLY SMOKES! :p
  14. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

15. paprototype

paprototype Member

Mike, although thnx for replying, you and me are merely backers.
    I obviously prefer to have an answer from uber.

The solution most at hand (killing the arty) was included to show that I regard that as a possible way of handling enemy artillery

I like PA to be good, thus I ask questions regarding subjects about which I have doubts
    The reason I post here is because I worry about this game, and I would much appreciate it if you would not tell me to worry, I can decide that for myself, and I do not need you to tell me not to, right !?
  16. soldans

soldans Member

Thx, really awesome! :D
  17. godde

godde Well-Known Member

And what is your doubts? If people should be able to a address them you need to state the context.
    Mike tried to guess the context. Mike is one of the persons on this forum that is most up to date and in line with the developers intention I'd say. Mikes response might be as good as any devs response at this point in time. Is there even artillery in the game right now?
    Its' a non-issue at this point in time. Do you think it will become an issue in the future? Explain why.
  18. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Love the shadows and how they got longer with the movement of the sun. Also, anti-aircraft artillery confirmed. :mrgreen:

I've got one very small request though, would it be possible to show the day side of the planets in the next livestream? Afaik we always got the night side now. I'm curious how bright the day side looks compared to the night side. :cool:
  19. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I actually almost burst out laughing when that happened. Scathis and I both saw it happen and couldn't quite believe an artillery shell managed to hit a flying unit. :) Even a slow moving one like an air fabber.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

In FA t1 mob arty can kill gunships aswell. Even stun works, the gunships just stands in the air while stunned.