Anyone remember NOTA?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by veta, May 8, 2013.

1. veta

veta Active Member

I haven't played it in years but their airplay was a lot of fun.

Aircraft weapons deplete fuel.

So bombers dropped their (slightly buffed) payload all at once and then instantly flew home to rearm. It made carriers quite useful and imposed a logistic limitation on aircraft.

Here's some NOTA footage:
    http://youtu.be/3qVRCVt8oTo?t=2m45s

Just replayed some NOTA, things that stand out to me:
    Fuel & Carriers, amazing
    Custom Line Formations, extremely useful
    Bomber vs Gunship, really well done
    Explosions, readable while metal bits fly really far

Nice explosion(s) in masterzh's video::
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z1m06pj ... u.be&t=35s
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Interesting - I always found carriers and Aircraft platforms to be almost useless in TA (for their original purpose).
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Repairing?

I though they did it well, but then again most AA was a one hit one kill kinda weapon, so it had limited usefulness.

But I feel like a fuel mechanic is a bad mechanic, the plane runs out of fuel, but can magically make bombs for free? Thats silly.
  4. snownebula

snownebula Member

Nota, the cappella group of six male vocalists from San Juan, Puerto Rico?
  5. veta

veta Active Member

oh, I didn't convey that properly in the OP. Aircraft weapons deplete fuel.

So a bomber without fuel (as a result of dropping their payload) would immediately turn back home. And a gunship in contrast would deal its payload over time.
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

NOTA is probably my favorite among TA-derived games. I just wish there were more players.

NOTA is still played quite frequently and is still being developed continuously.
    See http://nota.machys.net/ for latest version.

I really like the tactical combat and importance of terrain and hills in NOTA. Airplay and ships are also really fun.

Airplanes are really strong and it is hard to reliably counter them with only ground AA but air is still balanced because of how much infrastructure(airplants and powergenerators) they require plus that they need to refuel after attacking the enemy.
  7. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Exactly - plus the AI for planes to automatically land and get repaired was pretty flawed aswell.
  8. veta

veta Active Member

yup, aircraft having to head home after dealing damage made things a lot more dynamic. bombers were shock and awe while gunships were better at map denial. it was rooted in reality but still fun

going to try some NOTA nostalgia this weekend, what time do most guys play?
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Most players are european but so usually in the evening. At saturdays and sundays they might be on at any time though.
  10. masterzh

masterzh New Member

11. Ralith

Ralith Member

Some sort of land-and-resupply mechanic--the one described here sounds good, except I might make loiter time unlimited and only have an ammo counter--would be pretty neat for air, especially as it sets it further apart from air in conventional RTSs. NOTA was really cool.
  12. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Having an area around an air factory or carrier or whatever in which air units automatically get refueled would be pretty great and alleviate issues with landing to refuel.

NOTA was great, I just loved the way it did balance. And watching those videos reminds me: They did explosions really well as well. And boy are getting explosions right a big deal.
  13. veta

veta Active Member

Took the words out of my mouth. I briefly played some single players and the game is great. Although I'm pretty terrible without my FA UI x).

Things that jumped out at me:
    Fuel & Carriers, amazing
    Custom Line Formations, extremely useful
    Bomber vs Gunship, really well done
    Explosions, readable while metal bits fly really far

Nice explosion(s) in masterzh's video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z1m06pj ... u.be&t=35s