A return of the "crate"

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Nayzablade, May 10, 2013.

1. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Howdy :)

Do you guys remember in the initial C&C and also in Warzone 2100, there where rare crates/barrels that would spawn on the map when it was first generated, and you would need some type of ground unit to "loot" it. Sometimes they would include a small resource bonus, a builder unit or a couple of scout vehicles.

It actually made scouting a lot of fun at the start of the game...similarly to the huts you find in civilization.

How do you, fellow backers, feel about this idea...? :D
  2. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

In supcom, this was accomplished with unit wrecks spawned on the map. Seton's Clutch is a good example. I'm guessing that's how it will work here.
  3. veta

veta Active Member

civilian buildings could be captured too

crates were nice boons for map control/presence. that won't be a problem if we have anything like MEX though.
  4. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

I don't know about finding units, not sure how they would have appeared on a new planet you're colonising.

Perhaps it could be implemented as something thematic though, like an 'alien wreckage' which is basically a generous clump of reclaimable metal. That'd work, and be visually nifty too.
  5. syox

syox Member

If there are wrecks there can be units.
  6. therishka

therishka New Member

I'm not sure if it's a nice idea. Since unit veterancy will not be present, same as commander upgrades and research points, crates are going to be just useless. What you will be able to find inside a crate? Another builder or some resources? I would prefer recyclable wrecks or something close to it (like trees or rocks in TA).

Btw, i've read somewhere about the possibility to activate some modules on metal planets. This would a nice stimule for scouting=)
  7. omegabolt

omegabolt New Member

As much as I enjoy crates I don't think they really suit PA. C&C is more of a fun arena type experience while PA is colonising and destroying planets. I'm not sure random crates spawning or being randomly dropped on the planets makes as much sense. Wreckage from previous battles or abandoned bases might be quite nice though as a quick economy booster on new worlds.
  8. simonhawk

simonhawk New Member

Do not want.
    I want as little randomness as possible, well besides the random planet generation... Anyways, I don't think that a resource crate would work well in the traditional sense, where you just get like 100 metal instantly or whatever, but it might be ok if it was like an ancient extractor or something that you could reactivate for a limited amount of time.
    But overall I don't like random luck based boost

As for early game scouting, knowing where you opponent is and what he/she is doing should be plenty of motivation :D
  9. treign

treign Member

i could be off-base on my assumption, but it is my impression that 'goodies' wont be part of PA. Ive come to this conclusion because of something Mavor mentioned a while back about not allowing 'luck' to have a positive/negative affect on the game so that each player has a fair opportunity to victory. I believe the examples used were: gold bonus's and randomly generated meteor strikes simply add luck, and remove skill from the user experience. They wish to make a game where (hopefully as many as...) 40 users will each have a fair opportunity at victory through skill, not luck.

However... this is prolly bogus because with 40ppl on one server, someone is gonna spawn closer to the mega-heavy giant resource planet than another person... This is more chance, than luck. But they will still be forced to rise to power through skill.
  10. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Mind that wrecks aren't just pick-ups that just give you resources. In FA, they take quite some time t reclaim more often than not. It was more valuable in SupCom 2, though, because of the infinite storage.

Properly balanced, generated wrecks can create contention points that are just as hot as mex contention points. It's a temporary resource, but typically they provide income faster than a mex, meaning that if you hold onto a wreck (or wreck field), you can accelerate your build process like crazy. Meaning that friendlies and enemies are going to fight over it.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Random crates like from classic RTS might be a neat easter egg option. Add it to turn on or off, and make it usually an "off" option.

They can contain the same "really luck based" stuff they used to. Negatives, like unit death, unit explosion, unit betrayl to the enemy side, all your units taking half damage or you losing all your storage... Positives, like a free small unit, a free small increase to stream, a temporary all unit health regeneration, a metal patch appearing, buffs to units, even a free commander or high level unit... Maybe even positives/negatives for both teams at once, like both teams losing power, both teams taking half damage to everything, both team's commander being stunned in place unable to do anything for a short time.

Getting superly overpowered luck crate was fun for games that are just goof off and waste time.