Monetizing mods

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lophiaspis, May 4, 2013.

?

Should mods be monetized? How?

1. They shouldn't. Do it the old fashioned way

28 vote(s)
    20.3%
  2. All kinds of monetization are ok, including paywalls

24 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. No paywalls, any kind of donations are OK

68 vote(s)
    49.3%
  4. Only if Uber can prevent money from poisoning the community

18 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. zehdon

zehdon New Member

I don't have any objections with the highest tier of quality mods becoming paid DLC available through the official channels, as long as it doesn't simply become "All the best mods are now pay-to-play", because I feel that's against the spirit of modding in the first place.

If done correctly, it gives me more options for more "game", and allows for far more creativity than UberEnt can deliver on their own. I also feel that it promotes quality mods, rather than simply letting modders charge at their own discretion - preventing this from devolving into cash grabbing.
  2. furlock

furlock Member

Personally I think that mods should always be free, and DLC should be paid for. I say this because mods come from individuals outside of the developer, and I feel that paying for mods would invite in modders who just want to make a (relatively) quick bit of cash, as opposed to someone toiling away on a labor of love. I'd be more than happy to donate to someone if I liked their mod, but charging for the mods is unacceptable. The modders are doing what they are doing because they want to, not because it is there job. The could quit at any time, and are not obligated to finish. This isn't to say, however, that they don't deserve compensation for time spent on a really great mod.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Squawk Squawk Squawk.

Don't just say things, Explain things! HOW does someone make a quick buck on Modding? HOW does one circumvent the Potential Policies Neutrino mentioned do make that quick buck?

Mike
  4. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

More importantly, how does it prevent "someone toiling away on a labor of love"?
  5. furlock

furlock Member

Christ, sorry I don't have the time necessary to read the entire freaking thread on the topic before giving my opinion on the matter. I wasn't prepared to have to take the stand and defend my views on the matter. Give me a week and access to a database and I'll type you up a ******* thesis, okay? **** like this is why I don't post on the forums like everyone else.
  6. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Just think of the entire thing as a way to clear out the obstacles for Uber to partner with the really good modders to create unique paid content as DLC, rather than some kind of 'make money from the one hour you spent tweaking unit stats'.

In retrospect it's probably better to drop the terminology of 'monetizing' mods entirely. It's inaccurate and the concept has zero relevance to the mod community at large.
  7. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Well shit son. You just spent four sentences explaining why you don't have the time or the will to write four sentences. Could've just said upfront you're not looking to contribute to the discussion.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Agreed, it worked at the time, but now that Neutrino has shared some insight we have better idea what the system is actually for.

EDIT: Furlock, Neutrino said it best;

Mike
  9. syox

syox Member

Can you gey any more childish? Grow up man.