Commander Aircraft Transport ?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by meateatr, May 7, 2013.

1. meateatr

meateatr New Member

One of the things I used to love doing in totalA was building an airport and immediately, a transport aircraft, fly to where the other teams base was, find the commander, stalk him, and then scoop him up while he builds something, giving me time to build my ultimate attrition fort (untill I released the enemy commander).

Is there any indication that you will be able to pick up the enemy commander unit in the same way in this game ?

Also, im not sure if this has been addressed, but would our commander have the ability to "convert" units ?
  2. framerterminater

framerterminater New Member

Honestly that doesn't sound fun but rather a potentially game breaking ability. I can 99 percent guarantee you there will be no unit that can kidnap the enemy commander at the start of the game.

The ability to cripple your opponent that drastically early game would essentially force a particular start up build which completely goes against what Uber is trying to do!
  3. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Actually I'd wouldn't mind seeing this, as long as the commander can reclaim the transport when the commander is being transported by it. You'd be able to move the enemy commander a short distance making it a small nuisance before it reclaims the transport completely, and it would be reasonably balanced because the commander would be getting free mass.
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If the commander gets picked up, it's a simple matter of pointing up and capturing the transport. EZPZ.
    Yes he would. And he'd become acutely aware of the extra mass VERY quickly. :roll:
  5. Nelec

Nelec Member

I'm not sure of this is really necessary. It doesn't seem fun, just sounds like an annoying; cheap early game tactic.
  6. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

This very issue was beat to death in SC. Picking up a an enemy commander while being lulzy as hell. Really made the game less fun. They eventually pulled it from play. Then people adapted and began using their own commanders as com-bombs. This was very useful in team play but also broke game play. In a duel a losing player would often take his commander and hug the enemy to force a tie. They was eventually nerfed as well. But still the commander was carried on transports and used as a bomb, seriously, you could load your command and a shield generator on a transport it was pure lulz, but got nerfed.

Also, being able to pick up you enemy commander forced you to keep your commander inside your base, and relegating him to being an engineer. This was terrible. Many of the most exciting battles I can remember had the commanders fighting and building at the front. Open Palms anyone?

dl;dr version: com-bomb is funny as hell, but makes the game less awesome.
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  7. kkiwwikk

kkiwwikk New Member

If I remember correctly in supcom, they patched the shield generators so that the field was inactive while being transported.
  8. ticklemeelmo

ticklemeelmo Member

Eventually yes, on the mobile shield gens, but not before I pulled off several sweet com-bombs. Also note, that the unit shields still work on the T3 transport. But they eventually just nerfed the damage the exploding commander did so it wasn't even worth doing.
  9. pheagey

pheagey Member

Commander Theft was so awesome! The tears!!!
  10. tgslasher

tgslasher New Member

You released the commander? I used to do this and ctrl-k the air transport ... resulting in a dead commander. Or alternatively parking it over the enemies base, as every unit could target every unit in TA, anything offensive that the enemy built would eventually kill the air transport, killing their commander.

The last ditch tactics of team games usually ended with 1 player being totally defeated, he would create an air transport and fly his own commander at your base. This would result in a lot of losses if you didn't see it coming and his team mate full assaulting your now half dead base.

So while transporting your commander is fine by me, transporting their commander is not.
  11. meateatr

meateatr New Member

I've never done it in matches with other people, thats clearly a massive **** move. I meant against the AI.

My justification was that it would give me time to build my perfect defensive positions and stations, and then I could see how long my fortifications would last against the constant attrition from the enemy units. I generally did not build new units once the battle commenced, I liked to see it as a classic siege type of game-play.
    Things like build up huge naval and tank blockades, and set my units only to return enemy fire, and see how long they lasted.

Clearly it can be (and should be IMO) disabled in multiplayer against humans, but is there any harm with using it against AI?

Also, has there been any info on the ability to convert units ? I also used to 'catch' and convert an enemy engineering unit, and then would have core and arm tech, both loyal to me. I understand that this may break balance for multiplayer against people, but does it really cause any harm leaving it in skirmishes, just to mess about and have some fun with ? Ive seen the recent live stream and Q&A session, and it was mentioned that the commander would have less special abilities, as well as less micromanagement, I'm just curious if this feature would ever carry over from TA ?
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Regardless if it's a valid command, I think after a few thousand years of conflict the Commander would have developed a workable defense against illegal transports.
  13. kmike13

kmike13 Member

As funny as this would be, its not a good idea.
  14. meateatr

meateatr New Member

Damn. Its just so much easier to build the ultimate siege senarios when you arent constantly being forced to fight a "conventional" war.

I guess I will need to stay with TA for that :-/.
  15. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Just wait until the inevitable Defence mod if you want to play your easy-mode turtle-a-thon. You just know there will be half a dozen of them floating around by launch since they're trivial to code.
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Well....yeah, What you should be asking for is a special game mode or a Mod that will let you disable the AI until you're ready.

What you shouldn't be asking for is something that arguably easily abused and extremely useful for griefing, and expecting people to only use it against the AI based on the honor system.

Mike
  17. meateatr

meateatr New Member

True, I can see why it would be disabled. However, if it is really as simple as somebody coding an AI suspend/pause mod, then I guess that will satisfy me.

I didnt want to indicate that it should be included in the game (especially in people VS people), I just wanted to know if it was possible/feasable to do the siege/attrition type of senarios that I outlined.....
    Which apparently is a trivial matter.