Planetary Annihilation Alpha Information

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, April 19, 2013.

1. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

You already are bent out of shape. If you get more bent you're gonna snap man. SNAP
  2. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

Free content updates add value to a game. It increases trust in a company in which to buy future products from.

Team Fortress 2 'hats' are the harbinger of the destruction of value.
  3. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

What about, instead of hats, they sell custom idle animations for your ACU? :)
  4. fellowplanet

fellowplanet New Member

Is there any counter of alpha/beta/final release backers available?
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

you mean the amount of players?
    You can check out the number of alpha/beta backers on KS.
    Nobody knows however, how many of those will active.
  6. fellowplanet

fellowplanet New Member

Yes, i mean the amount of players.
    But there are backers, like me, who buyed the game over the
    UberEnt after Kickstarter. Is there any current count of alpha
    players? Did the official developers ever said anything about
    the amount of players?
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Just look at the different reward levels, add up the number of people in each level that has Alpha Access and you get a good baseline number.

We have no info on people who have pre-ordered, and even then it doesn't mean that everything who has Alpha/Beta access will take part, or if they do will actually "properly" contribute to the Alpha/Beta as well, only time will tell to be honest.

Mike
  8. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I think for moderators it depends on join date and post count.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

So the kinds of things that will show up in the Uber Lab are hopefully cooler than hats. For example single player missions, custom units, new biome types, new game modes or even things like AI code.
  10. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

I never saw bits of code for any game be worthwhile enough to make me want to turn over money for it. My only interest is in buying games.
    ---
    If the traditional model(of just buying games) is so dead, how can Nintendo continue to sell full games and not depend on pay to download trinkets?

And Kickstarter 'is' the traditional business model; it is developers looking for investors to fund their projects. The only difference is the faces funding them.
  11. zachb

zachb Member

I kind of assumed it would be a place where users could create content and upload it to a central site. And if they think their stuff is worth some money, they have the option of charging for their stuff.

What it does not look like is the glut of AAA games where they leave features out of the final game so that they can hit you with day 1 DLC.

I do think you'll see a few people trying to make a quick buck off of very little effort. But I am willing to bet most rational people will treat it like any other mod repository. And if their work is worth while it would be nice to give them a bit of cash for it.

That being said I would like to see the inclusion of a donation system. I feel a bit uncomfortable dropping $5 on "Big Jim's Big Bucket o' Biomes!" and getting a zip file of questionable content. But if I try a good mod, and I enjoy it, I'd feel much better about giving them a donation for the quality of their work.
  12. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I can see where you guys are trying to go with this, and how it can benefit the community, but I also think that monetizing the mod scene is a rocky prospect. I've always felt that the mod scene for games flourishes under open and free access, mirroring the open source community in many ways. If fewer modders are willing to contribute things in a free and open manner, I wonder how effective the modding community will be in the end.

Of course, I can't really judge before I know the details, or see the implementation, so I'll wait and observe for now.
  13. syox

syox Member

This.
  14. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

And new Commanders ;)
  15. eggcrack9

eggcrack9 New Member

I must have the Unusual Strange Chicken Dance Simulator Compartment for my Commander!
  16. Satch3L

Satch3L Member

I'm not sure but from what I understand Uber Lab is going to be free content. The business model for PA and SMNC (which uses micro transitions) are totally different. So modders and modellers will probably have to do their things for free (possibly add a donation link if they feel like it). I'm thinking PA will be more like SC when it comes to modding and custom maps.
  17. bubba41102

bubba41102 Member

I can't wait for alpha best info ever whoo
  18. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

A question I keep forgetting to ask:
    If we run a server on a Linux machine, can Macs or PCs play on it? Or viceversa?
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It would be insane if this were not possible. Most dedicated servers can be expected to run on linux I guess.
  20. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Rest easy:
    viewtopic.php?p=676632#p676632