Activity Histograms as a Replay search feature

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ooshr32, May 3, 2013.

1. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

I couldn't help but notice a lot of similarity in the feature set of PA's replay systemwith various NVR (Network Video Recorder) solutions for large CCTV systems given they're something I've worked with in the past.

But one "missing" feature I think that could be of use is an Activity Histogram.
    [​IMG]

In CCTV recordings it's usually based on video motion detection, which is what the above represents with the line and colour changes representing a threshold.

But for PA I think Damage would be the better metric.
    That way you could quickly seek back and forth to points in time when all the pew pew is going down.
    lokiCML likes this.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

+1. Also allow mods to interface with the replay to save custom data.
  3. xanatosx

xanatosx Member

+1
  4. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

This should go bleep sometimes as well. Although maybe just damage isn't what's necessary. Maybe you should have two histograms layered into each other, one for damage and one for motion, so it'd also be noticeable if you see a big force that isn't shooting yet
    lokiCML likes this.
  5. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Something like this for economy would be great too, so you can find the exact point where you stalled and work out what happened.
    lokiCML likes this.
  6. chrislove01

chrislove01 Member

Great idea, +1
  7. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

Including a histogram for a wide range of relevant variables would be pretty awesome. Damage, resources, units (total and specific), etc.
    lokiCML likes this.
  8. syox

syox Member

++
  9. benj255

benj255 New Member

10. movra

movra Member

It appears histograms are also seen in Achron, a game mentioned in related topics lately.

[​IMG]

The histograms shown are:

Chronoports
    Under Attack
    Damage Dealt
    Units Created
    Resources
  11. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

......That's because Achron is a game about/using Time-Travel as a Core Game Mechanic. That pic is of an actual game, not a replay or anything.

Mike
  13. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Well i can see why they might be useful in-game.
    Makes me wonder if it'd be of value in more than just the replay system of PA...
  14. glinkot

glinkot Active Member

Sounds good. having it in replays would be great; if it was represented during games it'd have to be different (only show damage taken by your own units for example). Showing total damage dealt out could end up a bit cheaty if you were attacking ground somewhere in the fog of war with your artillery and saw the damage appear. And total 'global' damage of course couldn't be knowable from a player's perspective.
  15. veta

veta Active Member

+1
  16. mrcurry

mrcurry New Member

This idea is totally ga... awesome!

+1 The Curry likes.
  17. jabberwalkee

jabberwalkee New Member

+1

This makes me think comprehensive stats might be cool too. Maybe even a highly customisable stat window that could dynamically track kills, unit types, total metal/energy spent, APM and pretty much any other things that would make live-casting games more interesting.

Come to think of it, you could even implement it on a player by player basis tracking the stats perfectly for the player and then based on fog-of-war for opponents. Being able to quickly see how much metal you've demolished against how much metal they ought to be producing (based on the metal points you can see) in the past 10 minutes could give you a hint about what your opponent is doing.