Backers, help us name the replay system!

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by o, May 3, 2013.

1. o

o Head Honcho Official PA

We have this amazing technology that allows you to scrub back and forth across the game time line in real-time, basically watching the game at any point in time while it's still running. Forward or backward. Its crazy cool and deserves an appropriately crazy cool name.

Here's what you can do:
    * Watch the game from any point in time while its playing
    * Play the game backwards or forwards in different speeds. For example, rewind at 4x (seeing everything move backwards), then playback at 2x to see what happened.
    * Open up a separate window that is viewing any time point of the game, past or present. (We can't show the future quite yet ...). This is awesome for eSports broadcasters. Or for players to simply answer "hey, how did this unit die?" ... easy, open up a window and scrub the timeline to just before it died.
    * Play back a recorded game, and scrub to any point instantly just like you're playing the game.
    * Watch a recording of a game, play it to a certain point, then take over an army (forking the time line). You and you friends could take over different armies, or you could give an army to an AI to play. This is cool because you might want to replay a historic game between the best players in the world and see if you can produce a different outcome in the last few minutes of the game.

And probably other cool stuff we haven't even thought of yet.

Its basically a replay and save game system all jumbled together with cool broadcasting capabilities. What would you call this system?

[Edit] I would like for it to be somewhat sports themed sounding, and not too PA specific. Like "LivePlay" or something like that. And lets try not to wear out "Uber" as the previous naming thread suggested :)
  2. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Just call it rePlay, with the play part being bolded.

(Yes, I'm a very imaginative person. :mrgreen: )
  3. zad1011

zad1011 New Member

A few ideas I thought of were: Epoch Modifier, Variance Scale, Pridian Shifter, Time-Lapse, Spectrum Device, Progression Device. Or if you want something simple... The Uber Recorder
  4. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I'm already tired of uber this and that.

How about The ReSporker

Replay, ESport and game forker, all in one.

And sporks are awesome.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So far I'm liking the idea of 'LivePlay' or 'LiveReplay'.

Mike
  6. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

MultiCast
  7. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Intelligence Recorder

Robotic Replay

Planetary Surveillance

Ubercam

Eye In The Sky

Timeshift Recorder

Event Log

Box Seats

Jumbotron Camera

Floating Report

Blast'o Past

Emergency Recorder

Black Box

Timeline Divergence
  8. vebyast

vebyast New Member

I think that you want at least some branding in there anyway, otherwise it'll just end up sounding corny and out of place.

I'll put in another vote for:
    And further suggest
    • Annihilation history
    • History observation platform
    • Simulation history
  9. Alcheon

Alcheon Member

you could cal it anything

Tactical Modeling
    Cyber Scan
    Enemy Predictive Modeling
    Tactical Prediction Simulation (TPS)
    etc...

the possibilities are endless
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Instantreport

that list of possibilities makes me smile like a madman, btw
  11. asgo

asgo Member

I would like Total Recall if it wouldn't exclude itself for obvious reasons. ;)
  12. movra

movra Member

TimeGate (when they go bankrupt)
  13. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

I'm throwing Holo Records in there again... :p cause this time i think it fits... (but maybe it shuld be Battle Records? ANNIHILATION Records?)
  14. movra

movra Member

15. cybran89

cybran89 New Member

Tactical replay.
    Nuff said
  16. zenomaddog

zenomaddog Member

Simulation Retrieval System
  17. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

RecBot

Database timeline viewer.
  18. v41gr

v41gr Member

3-Dimensional Uber-Viewer
  19. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Time Machine describes what the replay system does pretty well imo.

Galactic History might work as well but 'history' suggests that it cannot be changed anymore.
  20. Shalkka

Shalkka Active Member

Hazardous Software has a time travel rts engine with these abilities as a natural prerequisite to their game Achron working. The engine is called Resequence. So don't pick anything that gets confused with that.

As I like to see games as a medium go forward I was saddened when they didn't have strategic zoom as I was kinda grown toa assumption that every stragegy game I would play would have it. Now that I have got used to how they handdle time I would really like for you to refer what they have done. Please go steal ideas from each other so that we might approach the ultimate rts faster.

What they don't have is rewind (they do have jumping to arbitrary timepoints).

And they do have showing of the future and you can issue working orders in the past in their game in multiplayer (yes it's possible and yes go look up the game). You might also look into how they visualise and summarise information from multiple times at once (namely the damage taken /given bars in the timeline).

There are propably a lot of divergence in the appraoches so it won't be straightforward nor even possible to port features. But you don't want to miss out on work that has already happened. For example I hope that I can select units in a past view and have them selected in the present in the same swoop without having to select them seperately.

For my name suggestion I go with Eclipse because of planetary references and time passage references in a word without multiple parts.