For Backers Only: May 3rd LiveStream Preview

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, May 3, 2013.

1. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Its really hard to comment on those pictures. We don't know what is finished, what is placeholders, what shows the intended direction and what is just there to be totally revisited when time permits.

If the wreckage is in the direction that you want to go with, I don't like it. As has been said, it looks too much like the normal model, but flat grey. (I also didn't like how wreckages looked in SupCom).

But if those pictures are just about the tech for wreckages and scorch marks existing, I can't really say much. Yay the tech is in. I guess that's it. ;)
  2. xmodx

xmodx New Member

Just looking at the pictures and it looks like someone went at the buildings with a flamethrower or a high heat weapon (maybe this is what happened). It would be nice if there were some more details to the wreckages such as cracks or some parts that have broken off. These pictures are of alpha footage of course so it is still early days and anything’s possible in terms of the potential changes.
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I agree, however I can see the justification, as it removes the need to model wreckages for each unit, which saves a lot of time.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

So Devs, Is that permanent decal system in?.. and can we cover over those burn marks with trialing tank-tread sand yet? :p
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I was wondering, they have this fancy csg (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construct ... d_geometry) for planet generation. Maybe it could be used to cut up unit models. I dunno how fitting it actually is, though.
    Anyway I don't think nice looking wreckages should be top priority, so we might see improvements in later versions at some point but not now.
  6. nobrains

nobrains Member

And I thought the planet names are going to be displayed by the UI :lol:
  7. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Floating transparent GUI
    [​IMG]

Is it just me, or do you find the swirls kind of jarring?
    Everything else seems to have a nice jagged flow, yet the swirls curl in within themselves.
    It's a bit of art consistency that feels really odd to me.
  8. nanolathe

The swirls aren't finished yet.

They need to be bigger. At the moment the "jarring" isn't from that they're a different shape, but that they're so hopelessly tiny next to such large terrain props.

Since they're so small they don't mask the transition between biomes very well either.

Making them more pronounced and more importantly, larger would fix these two issues.

(At least, that's what the artist inside me is saying)

---

Edit: Plus the whole terrain isn't finished yet. Those are nowhere NEAR finished textures and blending effects :p
    For example, the two "sand" texture variations are blending really well together, but the "mountains" and "jungle" biomes just end clunkily. I have no doubt Uber will work on making the Planets look very pretty when it's actually a priority to do so.

Game first. Pretty graphics later.
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  9. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

LIES! The MAVOR written there is clearly the bombing pattern for the t2 bomber secret +10 damage and AoE formation.
  10. fellowplanet

fellowplanet New Member

What does "v.local" mean? Perhaps the server on host "local",
    named "v" or anything like that? Or is it just a string used for
    debugging / development and will remove in the next build?

I think the buildings and units are shown really "same" if they are destroyed.
    But with more effects in the future (beta phase ..?) I think it will looks better.

ALL IN ALL: GREAT WORK IN THIS SHORT TIME !

Hope we will see more 'For Backers Only' in the next days.
  11. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Which is exactly why now is the time to lay on the scathing critiques. :D

I really like the way the swirls are done on the first image, but on the second image, they seem too large. :/ They're definitely a great idea for transitions.

I also like the way the swirls seem to be from sand blowing from the desert into the rocky biome. Which is an assumption I took into the second image, where (following my assumption) grass seems to have blown onto the desert! Very odd indeed, hehe. For transitions between any biome and desert, it should be the desert swirling into the other biome, I reckon.

I'd like to echo the belief that the scorch marks look good, but, at this point, a little homogenous. Some more variety in size and number of spikes would be great. A few more shades of grey too for good measure.

The zoomed out rock mountains could use some work as well. Compared to the sand mesa (which look great even zoomed out), they seem to lack detail, or something, that makes them really stick out compared to the really awesome terrain. It'd also be great if colours from biomes the mountain has found itself on would leak a little onto the sides.

In any case, the features, the transitions, the textures... They just seem so perfect! I'm really impressed.
  12. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Are y'all going to be needing translations again?
  13. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Wow, you guys are a negative bunch.
  14. neutrino

No, no it's not.
  15. rik86

rik86 New Member

WANT!

TO!

PLAY!

I love screenies, even if it's all placeholder ;)
  16. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

I hope the graphics are not even close to beeing finished. I am sory to say but in my opinion everything looks worse than Ta or Supcom
  17. nanolathe

Your core audience, the people you're appealing to most, are a bunch of jaded gamer misanthropes who've been disappointed for 16 years and haven't had something they truly loved since Total Annihilation.

No pressure. :lol:

Let them warm up to you Neutrino, they'll come around eventually :p
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  18. miliascolds

miliascolds Member

ooooh, perrrty me like
  19. neutrino

It sucks because there is no possible way we can meet expectations that are that high. It's literally impossible.
  20. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Indeed

LEAVE. NEUTRINO. ALONE.