Suggestion: Routes as first class entities

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by rorybecker, May 2, 2013.

1. rorybecker

rorybecker Member

Inspired in part by "Transport Macro System" topic

What about being able to define a route as a first class entity (like a group of units or a location on the map)

A route would be a series of way-points which was unconnected to any specific unit(s).

Once defined this route would function as a set of way points that would be ad-hoc added to a group of units.

- You would select one or more units and right click on one end of a route.
    - The units in question would follow the points as if they had been defined as part of their own queue.

The key is that once used, the route would not disappear automatically and would therefore be available for reuse by other units.

Like many things, routes would be an entirely optional feature that you wouldn't have to use, but might be useful when you wished to set-up a regular route.

Just another couple of cents for the conversation. :)
  2. movra

movra Member

I like this idea so much I want to keep it a secret and turn it into a mod so I can brag about it.
  3. veta

veta Active Member

good idea, transporting and the route you take should be fce
  4. comham

comham Active Member

Go one step further and define armies (as in the quick-select slots) as first class entities. have your factories feed into armies, select an army and give it a rendezvous/move attack order with a 20 unit requirement, simple, hands off. Units rendezvous at point A, then once 20 units are present at A they do a move-attack to B.
  5. veta

veta Active Member

i think there was a mod or something in the past for FA that would associate all units of a factory queue (so even units built by assisted factories counted) to a hotkey.
  6. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

That was FA. lol.

Put a factory in a control+group, and all the units it produces are automagically put in that group.
  7. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

This is a MUCH better alternative to the "call a transport from anywhere" idea.

Setting an 'enqueue' and 'dequeue' point with things such as ferries, patrols, and other such movement commands that you can then order units onto by clicking the 'enqueue' point.

I like it.
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Just as a note, but this has been brought up before, adn if I recall correctly Neutrino agreed it was a good idea, but that the implementation might be tough for them, we haven't had any updates on that yet from what I recall.

Mike
  9. veta

veta Active Member

nice.
  10. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I'm not sure how different this would be from the orders as first-class entities concept. Since the route waypoints exist as their own entities, wouldn't that result in a persistent route?
  11. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

12. rorybecker

rorybecker Member

Looks like this is a superset of my idea.

Also very cool :)