Asteroid Defense?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by sporemaster18, April 5, 2013.

?

What do you want to do to defend against asteroids?

1. All options sound great and could possibly be toggled at start.

34 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. No defense whatsoever/no 100% effective defense.

17 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Other (Suggest Below)

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. Using nukes/a laser to blow it up.

41 vote(s)
    36.3%
  5. Using nukes to send it off target.

21 vote(s)
    18.6%
  6. Sending in a strike team to wrestle control of the asteroid.

36 vote(s)
    31.9%
  7. Crashing other asteroids into it.

33 vote(s)
    29.2%
  8. Machine that changes planet rotation when asteroid's launched.

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. Blowing up the engines.

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Well what do you want? Most of those ideas are what have been suggested and I'm not going to comb through 81 posts to find all the ideas.
  2. elfswe

elfswe New Member

Other (Suggest bellow)
    All the options sounds great and all the options could be toggable when you create a game.
  3. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Thanks! I added it.

Edit: Dammit! The poll reset. I hope the people come back...
  4. ullneverknowwho

ullneverknowwho New Member

-Using nukes to blow it up. (heck yeah obvious choice)
    -Using nukes to send it off target. (sounds awesome if you dont have enough nukes to destroy it you could make it over shoot the target)
    -Sending in a strike team to wrestle control of the asteroid. (this sounds soooo ridiculously awesome)
    -Crashing other asteroids into it. (logical idea)

my idea some kind of orbital or planetary based lazer aka like the ion cannon on echo base or the hypervelocity gunin in star wars to destroy the asteroid
  5. ulciscor

ulciscor Active Member

How about a machine, that when it detects a asteroid launching, it accelerates the rotation of the planet, so it hits the other side.
  6. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Thank you both! I have added your suggestions in and also made it so you can pick 2 so that you can say all are good and still pick a favorite or something like that.
    Btw I can can only take 2 more suggestions but I can make additions like with the laser suggested by ullneverknowwho.
  7. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Anymore ideas? Lets get some votes on this poll!
  8. jamurphy84

jamurphy84 New Member

Gravitation Gun that can repulse asteroids or pull them towards it. Perhaps you can plant explosives on it or your own rockets to bounce it off the atmosphere? Or maybe even use it as your own missile?
  9. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Thanks for your suggestion! Everyone please vote again.
  10. blodhskolir

blodhskolir New Member

I don't want any form of defence that is 100% effective. I want to imagine the face of my opponent as they realise their valiant efforts have been for naught. :twisted:
  11. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Thanks for your suggestion! (no need to revote this time)
  12. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

I didn't see anything in the rules against a nice, healthy bump...
  13. muzzledelk

muzzledelk Member

Crashing a smaller asteroid into a larger one would be glorious. It wouldn't work completely, but that'd mean you'd have to throw a few more at it.
    "ASTEROID FIGHT! x3"
  14. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Bump because when I do the poll always spikes.
  15. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

I'll bite.

New player sends asteroid at my base. I take my already constructed battle-comets (patent pending), send them on a near-trajectory to their asteroid, blow the engines to oblivion, and put my :cool: glasses on as he tries to figure out what just happened.

Really though, if you catch it early enough, destroying the engines should be viable. Then start pounding the battle-comet guns into the side of the asteroid to throw it even more off course.
  16. zachb

zachb Member

Yeah a while ago I remember talking about the strike team idea.

You'd have to win a battle, or at least secure the thing long enough to get an engineer up there and capture the engines and float it off course.

This means that when you launch an asteroid you have to invest enough of your resources into defending the thing or else it'll get hijacked. So now asteroids are balanced for both early and late game, because it'll take more defenses later on to keep the asteroid on curse.

Also if you get a little timer appearing on your screen telling you that there is an asteroid coming in 5 minutes, you have to deal with it. This creates an impromptu battle for people to deal with and breaks up the monotony of a turtling game.
  17. cjinxed

cjinxed Member

I don't know about the timer, if you've managed to get an asteroid weaponised then I don't think you'd want the enemy to know the second you set it on course. However a proximity alarm of some kind I think will be good, the same thing you get with Nuclear launches on SupCom and TA.

I think you should pay some attention to what's going on in the system so the first thing you know about an asteroid attack isn't the proximity alarm.

If there is the ability to capture an asteroids engines and redirect it I think I'd always try and keep a 'team' ready as my counter.
  18. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Thanks for the idea! I don't want the poll to reset again so I'm going to replace the most unpopular idea.
  19. blocky22

blocky22 Member

ref:
    What strategy is there for an imminent asteroid strike?
    Planetary Aggregation

Yes.

Some words on that.

How would you balance that?
  20. sporemaster18

sporemaster18 Member

Thanks for the other threads to look at! I saw a lot of similar ideas to the ones seen here and also that interesting idea of mining to the center of the asteroid and detonating from there.