You all know this is going to happen.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lilbthebasedlord, April 27, 2013.

1. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

2. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

I want somebody to try to make a 1:1 scale version with google earth data. Just because. :mrgreen:
  3. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

Well i just wouldn't mind a one i could scale to as big as i can get just before my pc explodes :geek:
  4. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

That would probably work out pretty well on an actual planet.

I always preferred the real terrain that was to scale in supcom not scaled down world maps.
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

this would be cool, but probably not to play on it, just to watch it^^
  6. frostbitten

frostbitten New Member

That would be so awesome :)
  7. scifiz

scifiz Member

Why just earth?
    Why not the whole solar system? (Pluto optional)

Actually getting earth might be tricky depending on how the planet datasets are designed.
  8. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Might make the news.

Gamers destroys own planet repeatedly. :mrgreen:

I always loved playing Risk with my favorite RTS games.
  9. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

Oh God, not again. Those maps are absolute nightmares.

Maybe this time it'll actually work out.

Actually, a solar system 'map' would be pretty awesome.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If you think about it, the earth would work out if it was a wrapped around planet. It never works because you have edges and one side gets ridiculous.
  11. syox

syox Member

Neutrino allready mentioned it would propably be to big for the engine.
    Maybe 1:1000.
  12. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

I would be happy with an earth map scaled down to the point that it's playable. Artistic semblances of realism are perfectly fine, I don't know why so many people are gung ho about 1:1 scale
  13. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Well I think the scale should fit within the average of PA. Earth is a fairly average sized rock world, not huge, not tiny. Not even big, just average on the small side maybe. So that's what an earth recreation in PA should perhaps be.
  14. Shireknight

Shireknight Member

what is 1:1 anyway, that's real life isn't it? Do you realise how long it would take your Commander to walk across the UK let alone a bigger landmass lol.
  15. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

the funny thing is that in the actual campaign for both SC and FA, a Hawaiin Island is featured in the campaign, which ends up being really big, but in that SC map, Hawaii doesn't even show up :)
  16. taihus

taihus Member

Yeah, but the Earth is 6,371 kilometers (6,371,000 meters) in radius. This guy: http://planetaryannihilation.tumblr.com ... 8784994422

is pretty huge gameplay-wise, and is only 3,000 meters in radius.

Think about that for a sec.
  17. dreadnought808

dreadnought808 Member

It'll be Spore all over again.

Seriously- who managed to find Earth in Spore and did NOT blow it up?
  18. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Maybe, although I think it should be the maximum size the engine allows to maximise detail.

Thinking about it, scripted maps recreating world events could be fun. Like the space race, where commanders are invincible (maybe with no weapons to avoid game breaking) and the only way to win is to migrate to the moon and build a for-this-map-only superweapon.
  19. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a solar system map would be pretty cool. It would have the scale.
  20. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Yep, if 3000m in-game radius is considered an average / "good" size (I seem to recall that being said in the livestream) then you need to apply that sense of scale across the board. The Earth will end up somewhere between 1:1000 and 1:10000 at those scales (i.e. somewhere between 637m and 6371m in-game radius, I'd choose the latter myself so that continents feel big enough).

IRL, a 6km celestial body is considered an asteroid, and not even a big one at that, so there is some suspension of disbelief going to be required before current hardware can handle actual 1:1 scale planets in that respect. Which I am perfectly happy with; an actual 6.3Mm planet in PA (Earth sized 1:1 scale) is going to need a 40+ player game just to ensure you actually meet an opponent in a timely manner, never mind how long it'll take to conquer the whole globe ;)