For Backers Only: Megabot Experiment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, March 14, 2013.

1. sauceboss

sauceboss Member

Maybe being twice as big as the commander would be great, the current size is fine too but nothing as big as a megalith, galactic colossus, or seraphim bot (etc), they were just cheesy.

Battleships are already massive, and dwarf everything else, and decimate land units when they're in range (in TA and Supcom). They sound alot like a direct-fire megabot to me. Not really sure why having a large bot is such a problem to some people. Think of them as land battleships.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

That is precisely the problem with them.
  3. RCIX

RCIX Member

And your lack of objection with sea battleships is because...? At least, you never directly did.
  4. nanolathe

They stay in the Sea. You can't "spam" them since getting a critical mass in the Ocean only lets you make a beach-head. You can't take out my WHOLE base with only 1 unit type. (unless I'm silly enough to place all my buildings within range of the beach.)
  5. sauceboss

sauceboss Member

Ocean planets. Floating/submerged econ structures. you could have a purely water base in TA. I wont be surprised if PA does too.
  6. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Clearly, we need walking battleships to fix this problem. ;)

Your standard boat was equivalent to a land artillery. The problem is that boats had all the benefits of artillery, with all the power of a direct combat unit. It's like each theater had its own game dev, making issues when navy and land had to interact.

A functioning water base is pretty much necessary for ocean worlds to work in PA. It goes without saying that you need a good mix of aquatic units to enable many attack angles and ways to counter things.
  7. movra

movra Member

Helicarrier! ;)

[​IMG]
    vackillers likes this.
  8. Sylenall

Sylenall Member

I would love an experimental or two, mainly just a Homage to the Krogoth would be lovely...

I get the "rah-rah balance" issue, but it can be accommodated much the same as it was in TA. It was the only super there too, literally took forever to build and cost a fortune. Since we are getting 1 common unit pool, anyone could build one if they could face the challenge of actually building one. Further it could easily be a significantly weaker version of former experimentals, making it equal to a small army rather than vastly superior.

I don't know how units are planned to be transported between planets, but that could also be a balancing factor, perhaps if it cost extra to move, or moved very slowly, or even wasn't capable of leaving a planet at all.

I dunno, I'm no expert.

Edit: I'd say the scale in the initial post is a little on the large size, it should make the Commander look small, but not tiny. The bigger they look the more powerful you expect them to be, and it's probably better for "Megas" to be weaker than in previous games.
  9. deathcoy

deathcoy New Member

Could be slightly bigger, the current size now looks more like a megalith rather than a megabot.

Anyways, keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully we get experimentals :D
  10. Degraine

Degraine New Member

In spite of nanolathe's incessant bitching, I'm still in favour of some variety of megabot.

I don't want to armchair generalise like him, but having one or two of these as the backbone of a siege breaker force (if sudden orbital reinforcements aren't enough) would be immensely fun, in my opinion.

Poooossibly just one megabot design, with a single upgrade option to customise its mission profile, so it's armed with X weapon, and Y weapon, but Z weapon could be any number of different tactical choices based on expected resistance/your army composition/what looks awesome?
  11. furlock

furlock Member

Oooh, I must say, that DOES sound like a very fun idea. I'd totally be down for that.
  12. nanolathe

and just when I thought you'd seen the light :roll:
  13. sauceboss

sauceboss Member

I still do not see how battleships on an ocean map are any different from megabots on a land map, Nanolathe. You can't say one is ok and the other is not when they fill virtually the same role.
  14. nanolathe

I doubt the majority of ALL planets will support Battleship play across entire the surface.

That's the difference.

If 10% of all Planets encountered have enough water on them to support a Battleship force that allows each ship to hit EVERY part of the planet with its main cannons then a Battleship is "like" a Mega-Bot 10% of the time.

Mega-Bots are like Mega-Bots 100% of the time.
  15. furlock

furlock Member

Oh, I still do. I just feel that if we have a Leviathan, we should have a Behemoth, and indeed perhaps a Ziz as well.

For those of you who don't get what I'm saying:

Leviathans (battleships/otherwise massive naval unit)
    Behemoth (massive land unit)
    Ziz (massive air unit)

They wouldn't necessarily have to be experimentals, though having one of each would be interesting to see.

Again, I'm all for experimentals as long as they're in the game from the start, and things are all properly balanced. Adding them in later and having to tweak everything just for them definitely is something I'm against.
  16. thundercleez

thundercleez Member

Good luck spamming Megabots. Why would you assume they could be spammed?

Yes, please!
    [​IMG]
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. yupalisk

yupalisk New Member

Dang thunder, the caption for that image should be "is that a battleship or are you just happy to see me?"
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. furlock

furlock Member

the hell
    yes.
  19. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

nononononoononononnooooo
  20. furlock

furlock Member

Please. Don't make us get out the Kamina shades. We know how to use them.

Anywho, let's get this thread back on track.