Dead: How do we keep a Support from dying?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by mute, December 30, 2010.

1. mute

mute New Member

Since theres been alot of topics lately about some Supports out there that apparently don't realize that they carry a health gun to help their teammates.. I thought I'd flip the script and point out the other obvious problem that those of us that do play Support correctly are very familiar with..

Pros that don't cover the Support when he is busy saving their ***.

I cannot tell you how many times I've been tailing a Gunner/Tank/Assault so they can mow everything down only to have the teammate run away like a pansy when someone gets near or rush away for no reason while under fire and completely forget and ignore the guy that was just keeping him alive. Gunners are the worst offenders, which is bad because they are a natural pair, not only does the support keep the gunner going on a rampage but he acts as a moving shield for the support. It can be crazy annoying with the Gunner, because he has a friggin Slam ability that alot of people seem to conveniently forget about when it could be used to save his little healing buddy.

I like the idea Cheesecake posted @ viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5685 where an indicator is shown, but what about in addition to that something along the lines of $ or protags/highlights earned for killing an enemy that is about to kill a Support that is currently healing you? It'd also be cool to see a Highlight+counter that denotes how many times a Support that was healing you died... so the opposite could be pointed out. It'd also be good to see some Supports helping Supports protags..

As much as there needs to be incentive for Supports to heal pros more often ($ and/or assists as ppl've mentioned) there should also be incentive for his teammates to keep his back covered or not to leave him out in the cold when he was just keeping you alive for that pretty killstreak.
    Last edited: December 30, 2010
  2. krunkthuzad

krunkthuzad New Member

Healing your teammates gives you a better chance to win the game. Protecting the teammate that is healing you gives you a better chance of winning the game.

Ignoring these two simple concepts gives you a greater chance of losing the game. What more incentive do you want?
  3. FB Zombie Chaos

FB Zombie Chaos New Member

True. When I'm healing a teammate I become the target....

I want to run away, but then I feel like I'm abandoning my teammate, so I stay healing until I die....

I'm not just standing around in one spot getting shot either. I'm hopping around all over the place.

Maybe I have been playing with unskilled Gunners that can't kill the enemy before they get me.

IDK...
    Last edited: December 30, 2010
  4. The Teominator

The Teominator New Member

Yeah...Nothing is more frustrating than somebody that lets you die when you save THEIR ***! Maybe you could get higher damage resistance while your healing somebody else since your utterly defenseless besides your teammate and eventual airstrikes/firebases.
  5. FB Zombie Chaos

I want to know how a full time Gunner feels about this subject.

How they respond to a Support healing them in the middle of a firefight.
  6. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

I usually play the Gunner, and I personally love being healed. Practically all the time I play support and heal people they just retreat and completely forget they have extra health with more on the way. (A Max HP Gunner retreating from an assault who just wasted his bomb? What are you doing fool?) I try to utilize the heal and clear out any assassins zooming around before pushing up. If the Support doesn't come with me because he wants to protect the bot lane, etc. I'll use him as a pit stop later on. I would help the supports more if they would help me, but it's rare to find one who doesn't hump their firebase and ignore teammates.
  7. OfficerFuttBuck

OfficerFuttBuck Active Member

I'm guilty of this. But all you need to do is say something and I'll try to come back and defend. But if you don't say anything, I'm just set in kill everything mode.
  8. Skizzen

Skizzen New Member

A thing worth learning from TF2 medicing is knowing when things are about to turn bad and getting out first. Better you leave him than he leaves you. Though you arnt nursing an Uber charge in this game you do have your juice and you do have a sentry/air strikes to help your exit.

I amnt saying people shouldnt protect their support, they should! But if your leaving all the shooting to your partner its natural he might mis-prioritize a target or two, read the situation and if you cant actually tell him to help or you know hes about to ignore you, just go. He will respawn and you can have fallen back to a middle ground rather than dying too and having both of you pushed back to spawn.

The funny thing about team games is 90% of it is playing your own game well.
  9. Shammas

Shammas New Member

It's threads like these that make me agree with Patch's post more and more.
  10. FB Zombie Chaos

But this has nothing to do with MNC turning into TDM.

If that was the post you are talking about.
  11. Shammas

Shammas New Member

I'm talking about forum players complaining about something that is fine to further dumb down the game.
  12. FB Zombie Chaos

Ah, I see.

Well, what are your thoughs about Support protection?

Do you feel it necessary to help keep your support alive if they are healing you?
  13. Shammas

Shammas New Member

Of course, but we can't control the actions of pub gunners. If you guys want to play in organized teams, try getting into some private matches. Contrary to popular belief, GP is pretty nice in game, and we're happy to help people get into private games.
  14. FB Zombie Chaos

I might take you up on that. Haven't played in any private matches yet.

It's kinda embarrassing playing with forum players though. Most of the time I play no better than randoms...

But if I play a match with nothing but randoms, I always come out on top. :lol:

Anyway thanks for answering my question.
  15. Cardboardwarior

Cardboardwarior New Member

I don't think encouraging teammates to defend supports that heal them through protag rewards and visual indicators of where that support is as he heals you is dumbing down the game. That's polishing it.
  16. caseyATL

caseyATL New Member

Even in pub games, it is pretty easy to figure out who are good candidates for following with continuous healing. Even then, sometimes people make mistakes and get in over their heads, so make sure to have a backout plan (FB, AS, run like hell and pray, etc) and stay aware of the map. Bonus points if you can let your healee know where threats are...

That being said, the visual indicators mentioned in this thread would be helpful to the non-Support Pros and the Pro Tags are just for fun, so I don't see any issue with those suggestions.
  17. caseyATL

caseyATL New Member

worst mute ever...
  18. mute

mute New Member

19. mute

mute New Member

:lol: .. if yer talkin about that post i deleted, i wised up and decided to keep it clean.
  20. AARPS

AARPS New Member

I agree, people make it pretty clear about who should be helped and who's in it for the tdm. I don't agree that anyone should get continuous healing; IMO it promotes gunners being careless and not realizing that they have to protect you (and themselves) as well. If you bring up to the white and let them get taken down a bit then they'll adjust and not rush out and put themselves in danger meaning you too can stay in safety. If they rush in and die then they're not really there to benefit the team and helping them is a low return situation. Plus you can do other things if you don't just lock onto one person. Like keep 2-3 people in health or add some shots of your own. Or not be bored and contributing only 25% of what a support can contribute.

That said I'll usually follow the heavy that makes a point to turn and look at me and walk backwards in that 'c'mon follow me' sorta way to see if they fit in the worth-the-effort category. But do some dumb move or over-push and you're on your own homey.