How do gas planets work?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by krashkourse, April 22, 2013.

1. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

How do gas planets work? do we get to build on them or is it just all orbits of moons?

This has been on my mind for 3-4 weeks now :!:

I would like to be able to build on a gas planet but i don't think that sounds doable.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

No information other than "Orbital Units Only"
    And we have no idea what that means either.
  3. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Maybe Uber can provide us with some answers
  4. nanolathe

According to Neutrino they work iteratively. I suspect they know almost as little as we do when it comes to the finer nuances of Gas Giant Gameplay
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

We don't know yet, and likely won't for awhile because at this stage Gas Giants are essentially Edge cases, they are rather unique compared to other planet types, so locking down on core combat aspects for Terrestrial planets(which also apply to Moons and Asteroids to varying degrees) is a much higher priority and once there is a better idea of the planned outcome work can be devoted to the fringe cases to make sure them compliment the Core Gameplay.

It's essentially in the same boat as interplanetary transport at this stage.

Mike
  6. veta

veta Active Member

I think I read/heard somewhere there probably won't be any basebuilding or units on gas planets but you will be able to suck resources up from orbit.

could be interesting in a jupiter-like scenario where you have lots of different moons orbiting a gas giant
  7. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Satellite extractors?
  8. nanolathe

Like a giant Vacuum with a long tube to suck up He3, yes.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes! Super charged fusion reactors!

I'm looking at these as huge sources of resources in the system.
  10. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

cannot wait to see how you guys tackle rendering the gas giants!
  11. AustinMclEctro

AustinMclEctro New Member

This is awesome.
  12. teradyn

teradyn Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but it almost seems like the Global vs. Localized economy question is leaning more towards Global due to Gas Giants. I would also argue that the metal makers (massfabs) question also will be nudged in a certain direction as well for the same reasons.
  13. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Meh. Gas giants don't play into why any particular system has to be used. Rather, the reasoning has to be consistent across all types of worlds and allow all types of invasions.

Gas giants are a unique environment with a natural emphasis on orbital play. All the downsides and expenses involved with orbital play can be compensated by providing cheap, abundant energy. It is a closed balance loop that has no need to stretch beyond the gravity well.
  14. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

As long as they get copious amounts of love, we all win!
  15. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Haha! Gas giants are huge fusion reactors? It cost an additional $200,000 in Kickstarter funds to add that? This had better be one incredible orbital straw.
  16. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Only a small portion of that goes towards the implementation of gas giants. That was only incentive for the backers to reach that milestone.
    (Plus the whole orbital layer is part of the gas giants concept, which is much more than a stellar sized fusion reactor.)
  17. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Will the Reactors be built on a moon then? or will it be a long @*# tube from one planet to another
  18. teradyn

teradyn Member

My reference was to the logistics of getting that massive energy influx somewhere useful so you can build with it. There are no orbital unit factories.
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Are there? ;p

Mike
  20. slimexpert

slimexpert New Member

so, will a gas giant have only airplanes, or will there be several moons to jump between?