Destroyers?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by chyrosran, April 15, 2013.

1. chyrosran

chyrosran New Member

Hiya all,

Concerning the ships render (http://ddljyg67bmw3p.cloudfront.net/wp- ... 24x576.jpg): I found it looking confusing. The big ships seem to be an aircraft carrier, cruiser and battleship, and there are two subs, but the small ships are so small it's not easy to make out what they are. Specifically, there doesn't appear to be a destroyer present, or even a frigate, as the sizes of even the biggest small ships seems to be waaay too tiny to represent either (and their shapes don't seem to suggest them being either, too). Does anyone know if these units are actually planned? I think someone in the team did make a remark about them being in...
  2. shandlar

shandlar Member

I believe the three tiny ships shown there are scout-ship, engineer t1, engineer t2. Being small makes sense for these rolls.

This was just extremely basic white boxing for a lot of units in that work-up. Expect launch to have another 10-20 more units. Which if deemed needed for gameplay, may include another tier of incremental size naval.

Generally though naval is difficult to flesh out unit rolls for. They may have the right idea keeping it simple. You have a super tough and expensive battleship with strong bombardment capabilities, then the cheaper naval superiority 'workhorse' unit that's a bit smaller and cheaper (cruiser perhaps?, call it destroyer if you'd like).

A third increment may not be needed. Subs and aircraft and AA boats and you are done with your basic naval balance.
  3. digitalcommunist

digitalcommunist New Member

could be a minelayer/minesweeper in that lineup
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

White box is not entirely representative of final product. Scale may change.
    Jon has specifically stated that he withholds the right to change any of these units at any time.

Not only that but NEVER has it been said that this is ALL the units there will ever be.
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

They small vessels could be PT ships, simple designs with a basic gun that fight in large numbers.
  6. chyrosran

chyrosran New Member

That is true, and tbh I kind of hope so because IMHO it seems a waste to only have ships that are either tiny or gargantuan Oo .

@ Bobucles: Yes, I agree they do look like PT boats. What could they possibly have to fight anything with though? Their armaments would be insufficient to even dent any of the big ships, they'd never be able to field torpedos for anti-sub warfare, and they couldn't carry anything remotely useful for anti-air or coastal bombardment...

@ Digitalcommunist: yes, this thought occurred to me too - could be interesting tbh :) .
  7. pantsburgh

pantsburgh Active Member

I believe they actually said in a livestream that these whitebox units are the base set of units necessary for gameplay, which implies they are planning on adding more units later to fill out the tech trees.

Probably these represent all the unit types so they can get the functionality working before they work on making T1, T2, and other variations of the same functionality.