Total annihilation Lets play?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by dhj0411, March 30, 2013.

1. dhj0411

dhj0411 New Member

Hello i have never played The game Total annihilation that Planetary annihilation seems to be based off of. Can some one suggest a good lets play of Total annihilation on YouTube?
  2. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I think you're unlikely to find anything from the golden age of TA since the game was released in 1997. YouTube didn't exist. Heck, streaming video didn't exist.

I can do you one better though. You can get the gold edition game itself on GOG for $5 with both expansions, called the "Commander Pack." Or you can get Spring for free and play the functionally identical Balanced Annihilation mod. The Spring engine also has a variety of other mods like the exceptionally good Zero-K.
  3. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

I have a skirmish vs ai video I uploaded on youtube a while back. It's low quality because it was uploaded 7 years ago, and annoys the heck out of veteran players because I play slowly and deliberately (most of the time) so it's easy for noobs to follow. (ie. Few hotkeys, very basic build orders, etc.) That should show you a little bit of everything. (No Berthas or Nukes, I'm afraid.)

There are one or two others that have uploaded a few missions of the early campaign, but nothing complete.

However, I suggest taking ledarsi's advice. The game holds up today, and is well worth the $5, even just to play against bots.
  4. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

So things that came out before youtube won't be on it? lolwut, took me 2 secs to find this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o38o81qX ... sults_main

I don't mean to be rude but honestly, all i did was type in "total annihilation lets play" in youtube and it was there along with many others.
  5. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

No, I'm not saying there won't be anything from TA on YouTube. But it's not like Starcraft where there are an endless number of great games from strong players. People weren't recording their games.
  6. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Well I have begun playing the Core Contingency Arm Campaign recently (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flYt7IlQj-o). I will probably be making casts of TA replays that I find on the TAuniverse website.

Transitioning my entire channel to strategy so if shameless promotion is allowed, I'll be doing FA and PA also. Possibly some CoH and Total War as well.

Can't promise everything in 1080p cause my pc is a year and a half old but I'll see what can I do :mrgreen:
  7. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Or, even better, you can get the TADemoRecorder, a simple soft that help record and replay games.

You just have to find a copy of Total Annihilation, install the TADemoRecorder and search internet for some nice replays.

Even better than youtube, because there are a lotof options (global view, be "inside" the player...).

Tadaa.

Here is a link to TADemoRecorder.
  8. seniorpino

seniorpino New Member

Buy it, I run it on 64bit W7.

Only 5,99 for all expansionpacks and whatnot on Good Old Gaming: GOG.com
  9. ironjawthestrong

ironjawthestrong Member

Or google: "d-gun"

You should do that.... ;)
  10. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

You should definitely get the gog.com release and then visit TAuniverse and install the unofficial patch.

It is a glorious work of art.
  11. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

I hunted my CDs down and installed TA for some nostalgic ARM stomping, and I think I must have misplaced my rose tinted glasses :oops:

I was massively impressed that the original TA CD installed in Win8 x64 (must be all 32-bit code in their Win95 installer). How's that for future proofing? Core Contingency and Battle Tactics installers failed at the first hurdle though, so I had to copy the data over manually after patching to 3.1 :(

I was also impressed the the game picked up all the available resolutions right away; it let me run 1080p without needing any tweaks at all.

I was, however, not quite so impressed with the micro needed thanks to no radar targeting by default, especially when running in 1080p with the worlds smallest minimap. Catching a radar blip to get selected units to blind fire requires some serious precision at that res (which I am apparently missing, given the amount of time I spent swearing at it). I had completely forgotten about that little foible, with radar targeting provided by a tech 2 building instead of being standard on all units.

It was an awesome game for its time, but to be fair it is starting to show its age a little now. Especially the 250 unit limit, I'm now going to have to hunt down how to tweak that, since I think my current desktop outperforms my original TA playing one by a factor of several thousand...
  12. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

brilliant suggestion, if I weren't so bad at the game, I would.
  13. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Automatic radar targeting, it's a NECESSITY in TA
  14. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

I've got so used to games having it enabled for all units by default, I'd forgotten TA didn't :oops:

Also, all RTS games need an orchestral soundtrack. I've got the CD audio playing in the background while I'm typing this, I'd forgotten how damn good the music sounded :cool:
  15. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

I kind of like the fact that there was no auto targeting until you built the super computer structure. Artillery can feel too good if a base from which it is firing is strong. To each their own.
  16. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

yeah i would recommend google searching d-gun and switeck. ;)
  17. ironjawthestrong

ironjawthestrong Member

Yeah... Do the "research" first before going to GOG. ;)

If I remember right GOG takes older games, patches them to work on newer OS, adds extra documents, wallpapers, manuals, sound tracks, etc. and gives tech support for their games. (That's why they charge money)
  18. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Is TA abandonware? If so then fine, by all means "do the research" however if not then I'd obviously recommend purchasing from a reputable source.

Never install anything on a PC (or Mac) that you do not trust 100%. Especially if it purports to give you something for free, that should not in fact be free. Those programs generally come with hidden extras like keyloggers or botnet installs. :(
  19. ironjawthestrong

ironjawthestrong Member

Very true. :geek:
  20. blackoth

blackoth New Member

I highly highly highly recommend getting the game and playing it for yourself, it is such an awesome experience. It scales up nicely for an old game. It had so many good things wrapped into a small package. The music alone is worth playing the game for!