Will there be an alternative to rocket based space launch?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ToastAndEggs, April 18, 2013.

1. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Im not sure but i think most focus has been on rockets to reach orbit, but what about mass accelerators?

They all have distinct advantages and disadvantages, Rockets of course don't take much energy as they are just fuel and metal and one rocket can be built quickly, however they are one use and need to be rebuilt each time. In comparison a mass accelerator would take a boatload of energy and would take a hella long time to build, but it would provide infinite launches.
  2. drtomb

drtomb Member

Re: Will there be an alternative to rocket based space launc

The Egg is reusable, perhaps engie's space transports are too.
  3. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Reusable rockets?

Cool, might happen.

But i doubt the egg can launch off main planets.
  4. drtomb

drtomb Member

Its actually the only known commander space transport, it attaches itself to the rocket.
  5. dynamicecho

dynamicecho New Member

Some kind of SSTO spaceplane for a single engy would be cool. An orbital elevator as a very lategame method of achieving orbit would be awesome though.
  6. ravener96

ravener96 Member

can we please please have space elevators? as a late game thing a space elevator could make large scale orbital drops a viable option.
    if rocket based drop pods have a size limit of medium bots or small bots i would imagine that you could drop tanks in a variety of sizes with a space elevator, the problem isnt the dilivery it is the trip to space.
  7. comham

comham Active Member

The unit cannon already looks like a long-magnetic-rail-type mass accelerator put through a chibi filter [in that usually it would be really long and thin, but for pathfinding purposes, buildings are square]. The curved barrel and the two rails at the end, see?

[​IMG]

(I'm so sorry)
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

There wont be late-game inter-planet dropships?
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Depends on how other aspects of the game pan out, nothing has been confirmed about Interplanetary Transport options, and rightly so.

Mike
  10. mrniceguy916

mrniceguy916 New Member

I was just planning on having my army ride on the Asteroid Express! I care very little of their little robotic lives :lol:
  11. apocatequil

apocatequil Member

This. Plus this:
    Sums up my theoretic strategy for all of this, pretty effectively: Asteroid Based Bombardment.

But, what Mike said is right, the issues of interplanetary transport are complex, and Uber likely hasn't even exposed all of the programming difficulties that they may encounter along these lines yet, let alone the balance and gameplay issues.
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

- Rockets
    - Teles
    - Space worthy transports like asteroids or dropships
    - Giant guns.

That seems like a good selection to cover a wide range of demands.
  13. teradyn

teradyn Member

Got to question that dropships part, bobucules. Ship based transport doesn't seem to be supported. The framework won't be there, unless you have heard a reliable quote, perhaps?
  14. KNight

What framework is required for a unit that does from planet surface to planet surface under it's own power?

Mike
  15. teradyn

teradyn Member

When I think drop-ship, I think of a pilot-able craft that can deliver troops. This would need to be a space worthy craft and I don't think we have seen a launch mechanism other than the unit cannon and rocket gantry. The rocket gantry seems to be a 1 unit per rocket delivery mechanism anyway.

I don't imply that it would be steerable after launch, but wouldn't a drop-ship be necessarily large to accommodate multiple units? Remember that most of the combat units are pretty big compared to modern day vehicles. I would think we would have seen this on the white-box sheet if they were planning for it at this stage.
  16. KNight

The White box is not a complete listing of units, Neutrino even said as much that those units are the bare requirements needed to start figuring out core balance, a Dropship doesn't directly affect how tanks fight each other so it's not strictly required.

Also VERY little is confirmed about interplanetary transport for what I feel is because it's largely unknown how much will be needed, based on the Visualization(cue Neutrino saying even the Visualization isn't Gospel) all we know is that The Rocket Gantry can send the Commander to an Orbiting Moon, the Unit cannon Works form Moon to the Planet it's orbiting and that light crafts can travel from moon to asteroids carrying a pair of Air Engineers, it's not much and VERY limited, but maybe it's all we'll need, who knows.

EDIT: Also thinking about it the Engy Transport that goes from Moon-Asteroid is functionally the same as the proposed dropship, just with the inclusion of planets.

Mike
  17. Nelec

Nelec Member

Interesting discussion, it is hard to imagine a decent system because, well, this is a one of a kind game, no one has attempted.

So basically we can't just say 'I liked how [insert game here] did it.' because you liked the mechanic. So I can't wait to see whats been cooking, and how they are going to pull it off.
  18. teradyn

teradyn Member

I believe engineers have been listed as rocket-able as well.
    The unit cannon I believe was listed as being able to fire up as well, but I am not able to find the confirmation of that. I think maybe it was listed as limited by the local gravity well (i.e. firing from moon to ground is just easier).

You might be right, though, about the developers possibly not having that aspect of the game on their minds at this point. We really haven't seen any discussion of concrete ways armies are supposed to move between planets other than teleporters (and maybe that is the only way they are supposed to...).
  19. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Teles are an exceptionally powerful tool no matter what game you play. It is doubtful you will see a repeat of the Space Temple, because that sort of thing would render every other transit option obsolete.

A more likely method of mass transit will be with asteroids. Fill one with a thousand units, fly to the planet, and blast them all down to the surface. It's cheap, it's effective, and it makes asteroids more fun to use.
  20. comham

comham Active Member

O do quite like giant transports. Something megaunit sized that behaves like the transport from Warzone 2100 would be neat. Big and boxy, delivers units by skipping across the atmosphere and parachuting all the units over a smallish area then returns to the planet of launhcing.