Swirls! Do you like them or not? [poll]

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by solpandan, April 17, 2013.

?

Do you like them swirls?

1. YES, THEY ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING EVER!

53 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. YES, as long they don have big impact on gameplay!

66 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. NO, KILL THEM WITH FIRE!

33 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. DON'T REALLY CARE!

40 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. solpandan

solpandan New Member

So I just finished watching the latest tech-demo (22 march) and I where quite bummed out about the lack of swirls!

My opinion is of that not all bio-mes should have a lot of swirls but WATER and JUNGLE shuold have alot of them!

To my fellow backers:
    Do you like them and what is you opinion of them?

To the most awesome developers in the world:
    Have you decided to cut down on swirls or is it just pre-alpha that don't have "implemented" them yet?
    If you have decided to cut down on them,then "WHY?".

English is not my native languish so please excuse me!

Best regards solpandan.
  2. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Look at first post of this: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=45107

Seems pretty clear they will be keeping the swirls so no need to worry if you like them, personally I'm not a fan but it's just graphical so it doesn't really matter to me.
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

No it's not.
  4. shandlar

shandlar Member

Don't really care needs to not be in caps. Its inferring far too much caring.
  5. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

If they keep the swirls just to ground textures, I'm okay with it. (It looks silly and kinda bad imo, but it's just graphical then.)

If they try to get the swirls into terrain geography, I'm totally against it since it will screw with unit movement and I can't imagine it being fun to fight in swirly areas.
  6. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

As currently implemented in the biome engine (as demonstrated in the March livestream), they pretty much are just graphical. I only spotted swirls as texturing effects on the boundaries between certain biomes, not as physical structures. That may just be old age and failing eyesight though :oops:

If they do remain as physical structures (specifically, as swirling sandbanks on coastal regions) then you will be entirely correct.

I would, however, respectfully submit that having swirling sandbanks at coastal regions will be a) awesome, and b) introduce additional tactical considerations (mostly unit composition) at what would otherwise be quite a boring land/sea interface. Real coasts have all too many awkward areas like that (sometimes the sandbanks / rock formations are mostly submerged, but can still affect relatively light draught ships), so I am perfectly happy to have the same issues in PA; areas which are a problem both for large ships, and also land only units, and lend themselves to the use of amphibious or hover propulsion in preference.

I suspect the compromise between people who like the physical swirls (like me) and people who don't, would be to reduce the frequency of them; since we currently have no idea of the default frequency it is still pretty much conjecture at this point though.
  7. nanolathe

regarding physical swirls that would have an effect on gameplay;
  8. stephen10188

stephen10188 New Member

I don’t care that they’re not totally realistic, I don’t play RTS for the sensation of committing genocide, so a little bit of artistic detachment is good IMO, The issue for me is if things get stuck in them (Boats etc), IF the pathing can cope with it 99.5% of the time then have them, otherwise scrap them.

Stephen
  9. Nelec

Nelec Member

I can't really think of any game breaking things that might be caused by swirls tbh, they look nice, but I don't really mind if they end up in the final version.
  10. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

No swirls please.
  11. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Yes as long as it never have an effect on the game play aspects.
  12. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

For Textures = Maybe...Don´t care
    For Terrain = No...I don´t like it
  13. 1337haxwtg

1337haxwtg Member

Perhaps put a swirly adjuster bar on the planet generator if they are to be physical. But randomly generated planets? I don't know if I like the idea of swirls being more than textures.
  14. gunelemental

gunelemental New Member

Swirls would be a good environment for amphibious units. Also, if non-amphibious and naval unit pathfinding works well in that kind of environment, any group moving through it would be fairly vulnerable because they would have to travel in a narrow formation, but it would allow sneaky players to maneuver ships further inland. I can see them being an interesting aspect of the game, if done well.
  15. penchu

penchu Member

I want to make harbors out of them :D and use them to help protect my shipyards from tsunamis!
  16. simonhawk

simonhawk New Member

For textures, i am all for it, and for jungle and water texture variation too, BUT:

That kind of swirls, (as taken from the kickstarter trailer) I don't like. The kind where it resticts building. I want more freedom to build my base, and that means a nice big flat space :p

Attached Files:

17. nanolathe

Too bad Neutrino intends for them to be in the game then, eh?

"Let's not have any innovative level design, nor artistic style!"

"Let's all play square maps, on square, flat spaces with square buildings!"

"Let's have NO consequence for starting location, nor where I'll fight my battles!"

"Terrain features just get in the way of my tanks shooting the other guys tanks, and that's no fun!"

"I want flat maps so I don't have to put ANY thought into how I'd design my base!"

---

Oh, wait,

no... let's not do that. That sounds f**king crap, and worse, like every other RTS ever made. Big flat spaces are boring and I'm glad there are such stylish and interesting features that break up the distinction between land and sea.

Not only do I think the Swirls are a cool visual stylistic choice, I EMBRACE the way it will change the gameplay.
  18. stevenside

stevenside Member

Until your ships bug out and are stuck in there.
  19. nanolathe

You give so little credit to the people working at Uber, especially Elijah.

Anyway, I'm not going to proselytise any further to you. Neutrino already has my back on this one and I can't wait to see them in Planetary Annihilation
  20. stevenside

stevenside Member

Depicting my worst fears isnt the same as giving little credit to the people working at the game. I would call it a typical thing that would happen. But what do i know, its only 10 years since the other games were made....make that 10+.