Single player story Mod Creation please add your opinion

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by dfeghali, April 12, 2013.

1. dfeghali

dfeghali New Member

Everyone here knows that the game will not have any single player, or any mission at all.

What about giving the Mod community the opportunity to make their own single player mission in PA adding (cut scenes, voice over, story). :?:

PA will have awesome AI for skirmishes, The mod Community will use that AI and start creating a full Fledged single player story driven game (10 mission story - 20 mission story) whatever they want, and have all the missions connected into 1 galaxy or 2

lets say the story start in a planet with 2 moons and then expand to the solar system, then the galaxy, after it will get bigger and bigger.

An easy example is Supreme commander, in the same mission you start small and the map keep expanding more and more, keeping the same units and buildings

:?: will all that be possible in PA? :?:

I hope everyone will like the idea and start working on it.
    what are you opinion about it? :) :D
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Assuming that Uber doesn't have an ace up its sleeve, your best option is to start working on custom missions during the alpha/beta.

It doesn't need to be a story or anything. You just need to learn what the engine is capable of so you can write a story later.
  3. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Yeah there are several people who expressed interest in making missions - I suspect the first thing they'll be making is a set of tutorial missions. They'd be short, sweet and easy to string together for the public release.

With the kinks then ironed out of making missions, a coop campaign / storyline could probably then be started.
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Hire John Patrick Lowrie to do the voice work and you have my support.
  5. Sower85

Sower85 Member

I do think a story would be good - esp for newbies to the game sometime after its release, to help them get upto speed.

I loved the expanding maps in SupCom - thought it was a really good way to break up the fairly long mission playtimes, but correct me if I am wrong - isnt the engine going to be building whole solar systems in one go? I suppose, the JSON or whatever data is storing the playing field could be appended to to add in more planets etc.? because if everything was generated at the beginning, it would cause problems with the strategic zoom?
  6. BulletMagnet

It might be possible to expand the solar system outwards (start at the sun and close planets and go outwards).

That said, expanding the same way every time is going to get boring after a while.
  7. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Don't worry about it building the entire solar system in one go, you would have to load the entire thing at the start of the match anyway because it's very bad to be creating data while playing. In SupCom the entire map was probably completely loaded for the entire mission and all that it did was change the bounds of the map. Restricting the viewable and even simulated areas is a fairly simple thing to do, though whether that will be possible in PA with what is exposed for modding is another issue entirely :/.
  8. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

The Uber guys have said they want the Game to be moddable as possible it has already been covered this topic they said if people want the hooks to make Campaigns they will add them in. I think the possibility of user created story content would be a massive draw and shouldn't be missed out. But i also think the there should be a modicum of Quality control even if its just a peer review system to ensure that the good entries get pushed to the top and the bad ones get pushed down.

Im all for giving everyone a chance but there would be those that just make them for shits and giggles and if i was to download a campaign id like it to be a compelling story.
  9. dfeghali

dfeghali New Member

Well I am hoping to see an alpha version of the modding tools released at the same time as the alpha test.

At Beta test, they should get out the beta modding tools till the game is released.

That will give everyone who is interested in making some nice campaigns time to learn and have the knowhow.

Just think about it how cool it will be to create epic campaigns with galactic war in mind having thousands of units destroying each other, planets exploding and some nice reinforcement coming from other star systems to help, that a story! :mrgreen: :D
  10. BulletMagnet

What tools are you expecting?

Because I'm expecting that modding will involve writing code, which requires only one tool - a compiler. Even then, we might not need one depending on how Uber implements PA.
  11. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

I know nothing about coding. But I do know about money, and I will pay money to the person that makes a good campaign. I've always loved campaigns, and play games usually for the story line. And I usually suck against other real people, so it's not as fun. Yes, someone who creates a campaign, will get my money. I'm sure there is a way to do this.
  12. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

Single player campaign? I could dig it, but it would be super hard to make a good one.
  13. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

For the code side of things that's probably all you need (unless you classify documentation as a tool), but artists will require exporters for their modelling software so they can get their models into the binary format PA uses, and there is likely to be tools for other things like planet generation, though IIRC that is included in the client.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Although they haven't this confirmed yet, they have mentioned they were looking at A .FBX for teh format, which wouldn't(at least in my case) require an exporter and just requires that you design and rig the model in whichever way Uber deems the standard.

Mike
  15. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

I hadn't thought of that, a standardized model format could be good for modding (especially since it's supported by blender out of the box for free), it might hurt load times a bit but it's probably worth the trade off as long as it doesn't limit what Uber want to do with the models.
  16. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

One tool I really want is a debugger so I can run my scripts and figure out what's going on without a million print statements.

I'm not really expecting to be disappointed on this one though!
  17. dfeghali

dfeghali New Member

:arrow: :arrow: Isn't planets generation a tool? :idea: :idea:

I think UBER said once that the mod Community can create those kind of tools to help the Community or their own PA projects

Maybe in the Future UBER will create a tool that will let the players do missions in PA without programing Knowledge.
  18. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Yes but I think in a live stream they said it was built into the client so you'd be getting that with the game anyway.
  19. dfeghali

dfeghali New Member

yes they did say that, and i think they did say that any good programer can create their own UI and make for example: a better Planet Generator adding many more options to it.

what it means is that maybe we can create some kind of UI tools that can work with creating single player missions, or Campaigns

I do hope UBER will read post and say something about that.
    Come on UBER give us an Answer! :ugeek:
  20. zachb

zachb Member