New Turret Idea

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Wishlist' started by Billy Rueben, December 29, 2010.

1. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

I thought of this type of turret while playing some private matches with some friends a couple of days ago. The teams were very balanced, and as a result, both games we played went into Overtime. I wanted a turret that would help protect your team's bots, because I find that protecting your bots is much harder than blowing up the other team's bots.

The turret I would like to see put into this game would have a range similar to a ShaveIce. The first group of friendly bots to walk into this turrets range would get a damage buff, a rate of fire buff, and an armor buff. This turret would only be able to give it's buff to one group of bots at a time, and once the buff is given out, it would last until the bots are destroyed or the turret is destroyed, and once this one group of bots is buffed, the bots would stay buffed regardless of their distance from this turret.

I figured the first level of this turret would give a 50% boost to damage, rate of fire, and armor, Level 2 would give 100% boosts, and Level 3 would give 150% boosts and give the turret the ability to buff two groups of bots instead of just one.

Thoughts?
  2. Ironheart

Ironheart New Member

Why not just buff Support's lv2 passive or further increase it's effect with lv3?
  3. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

Because you have to play as a Support, and you have to be standing near bots begging to be killed by explosive rounds or a Tank.
  4. Richy Woo

Richy Woo New Member

I like this idea, I tried to push a similar idea a while back about Bot Enhancement Generators.

My idea was to create a turret option that had no direct offensive ability but increased the strength of all generated bots depending on the level of the highest active generator and also possibly act as additional spawn summoning points for the class specific bots.

This idea would mean sacrificing base defense for a greater bot offense.
  5. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

Buying turrets is kinda pointless if there aren't any baddies pushing far enough to get shot by them.
  6. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

I like it, but I'd want to change one thing about it. How about instead of having a huge 150% stat boost and covering two bot clusters, it would instead make the cluster of bots it's affecting resistant to splash damage and make it so that sniper and rail gun shots don't pierce them? This would provide a bit more incentive for both building and destroying the turrent.

I do think though that such a device shouldn't affect player-spawned bots or Jackbots(at least outside of OT). That may approach being OP, I suppose.
  7. iammclovin117

iammclovin117 Active Member

Yeah, but you never know.
  8. AtomGone

AtomGone New Member

I dunno, I think if there are going to be additional boosts to bots, they should probably come from new player skills/new pros. Turrets for this seems a bit silly.
  9. Immortal303

Immortal303 New Member

I like the idea. Why stop at bots though? A Heal turret that works like a supports lvl 3 firebase with a hackable range and fire rate boost would be pretty sweet,and add a definite defensive advantage. Might be cool to allow it to heal turrets too. Hack a lvl 3 Heal turret, and everything in or passing through that area gets tougher.
  10. AmazeTheory

AmazeTheory New Member

I like it.
    :D
  11. DDM

DDM New Member

I like the general idea. It could run into problems if it happens to enhance a jackbot or any of the player spawned bots.
  12. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

that sounds like a great way to make a support useless. the support has his own unique roles and i think they should stay unique to him.
  13. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

You must play the Support in a different way than I do.
  14. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

maybe, i use the shotgun. but my point is that there are a LOT of ideas coming up recently that would just take away from the benefits of having a support on your team. this turret and the paying to heal your base are two examples.
  15. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

I just think that you shouldn't be forced to have a Support on your team if you want to heal your turrets or buff your bots.
  16. AtomGone

AtomGone New Member

Actually looking again at the heal turret concept- it isn't terrible, but it would have to be both kind of easy to destroy and moderately costly. I guess kind of like a shave ice.

It could negate Supports to some degree if you want to consider that, but on the other hand, it would be a trade off for firepower if used. Plus it would help if your team only has one support on it, since he could be freed from healing too much on one side of the base and instead focus on the other or even in the middle of the arena.

I dunno, if it healed far more quickly than it overhealed, it might not be too bad.

Also, what about this as the ability if you hack your own Shaveice turret instead?

That might work better.
  17. TOM12121112

TOM12121112 New Member

my thoughts are that if you remove the need for healing and bot support, all the support is good for is his firebase and hacking, at which point i would take any other class over him as long as they were semi competent.
  18. Billy Rueben

Billy Rueben New Member

The problem with that is this turret wouldn't effect pros at all. Also, I wasn't thinking that this turret would heal bots, just boost their armor.

Also, hacking a Shave-Ice is its own reward. Those things are awsome once they are upgraded to 3, and they are retarded good at 3.3.
  19. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

my thoughts? are that this wouldnt help at all generally when your moneyball is down. maybe on paper, but not in actuallity.

maybe a turret that gives all your bots slightly better weapons. i think that would be cool, to have augment turrets in the sequel. like, your outside turrets are rokkits, and you have a variety of turrets that increase firepower by 1 for either bots or pros.

like a turret that will give all pros one endorsement of rate-of-fire as long as its alive. still makes it a target since it cant defend its self.