Alpha/beta deployment/update procedures

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by crystaline109, April 10, 2013.

1. turpiini

turpiini Member

First, bare with me, english isn't my native :?

Isn't Uber already on Steam?
    I don't see a reason Steam wouldn't work, Uber sends a code to everyone who is eligible, which they can install the alpha and/or beta with, of course depending on what they've purchased, as far as I know, we only get one code for the game, which then gets "upgraded" from alpha to beta to final as the game moves to a next stage.
    I think I've heard (Must be true then :D) there has been a few games doing this actually, Arma3 for example is in alpha, albeit being open, via Steam with two different Builds, Development Build which gets updated once a day or so, and a Stable Build which gets updated less frequently with larger patches, so i think Steam is rather versatile distribution channel and it would be possible to do this in Steam, let me ephasize I think.
    Would be nice to get an opinion from a dev regarding this.
  2. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

It's a slightly different situation; PA isn't even at prototype (effectively open beta) stage. If I purchase any of those games on Steam, I'm expecting to be able to instantly download and play the current build. When PA is at a stable beta stage, it would fit perfectly with this mechanic, and I'd expect Uber to be talking to Valve about how to go about doing exactly that.

Prior to that (alpha) you want people who are well aware that what they get to run is going to be buggy, crash prone, and may even be able to take down their whole system (unlikely, but not impossible). Alpha will play like a dog and explode without warning; when it no longer does either, it gets renamed to beta and may well end up on Steam ;)
  3. mistercheif

mistercheif Member

Let me clarify. Castle Story is not available on the Steam store, and you can only have gotten access to the beta through kickstarter. The only people who even can access it on steam are those with alpha or beta keys. Essentially, those that kickstarted or preordered to get the beta or alpha, and thus, know what to expect. It's not like the Arma III Alpha, where you can just buy access to the beta on steam.
  4. antillie

antillie Member

Stone tablets with the binary code etched upon them.
  5. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

And we will call them "The Tablets of Annihilation" !

I'm in, who wants to be the Prophet ?
  6. mistercheif

mistercheif Member

Does the Prophet get to be called the Prophet of Awesome and get a really cool hover-chair thingy?
  7. titusvespasianus

titusvespasianus New Member

Well, as they promised to deliver a DRM free version of the game it would be problematic to do steam only alpha or beta releases.

Therefore I'm expecting neutrino to call each backer by phone and dictate the source code to them;)
  8. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

I propose paper torrent system.

Uber begins by telling us how many punchcards there will be, people send self addressed envelopes to Uber so they can mail people random (but numbered!) punchcards. As time goes on we can mail other backers to get copies of punch cards they have. In each mailing you may want to include a copy of your checklist to avoid redundancies. This system can then also incorporate check sum like things to help ensure that the cards you receive are valid and unmangled (So that jagged hole isn't supposed to be there...).

This way we can maximize total bandwidth for game playing and save USPS at the same time! (unless we go fedex, then they're doomed)
  9. mrknowie

mrknowie Member

Each Alpha member will be sent a talking parrot, trained to squawk COBOL code to us (in Latvian, naturally). The code is for a program that will decrypt a URL written on a piece of bacon (included with the parrot). That URL will be a Google map, with the location (under water) of a room full of keys. Each of us will be issued a key that unlocks a locker in the New York subway, that locker has a sword. We will fight to the death in the subway until one is left. The winner/Highlander will be given a gold-plated betamax tape, which contains the game.

It will still be better than the release of SimCity.
  10. antillie

antillie Member

Or you could achieve the same level of obfuscation through the proper use of perl. :p

But seriously, your post reads like an XKCD comic. Its just freaking awesome!
  11. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I loled at the beginning. Then I rofled at the end.

Awesome.
  12. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Handwritten and then badly photocopied LISP. This will also naturally test your own debugging skills, leaving only the worthy able to play the alpha :cool:

Although I also like the binary stone tablet idea (note: make it binary coded decimal, and you may be able to hear the screams of frustration from your house) :mrgreen:
  13. meltedcandles

meltedcandles Member

What happened to DVDs in a stone case given to the entire population of the world, and everyone that paid for Planetary annihilation gets a key to open said stone case. :lol:
  14. avengeruk

avengeruk New Member

I think it could be used on a tried and tested technology, something that will work without fail.

Possibly a Phonograph cylinder or a Gramophone record - either I would be more than happy with.
  15. Grimseff

Grimseff Member

I humbly thank you all for making my day. :lol:
  16. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

The Han Solo method: "Hokey logistics and ancient technologies are no substitute for a good hammer by your side, kid" ;)