For Backers Only: Megabot Experiment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, March 14, 2013.

1. captainshootalot

captainshootalot Member

The bot seems a bit too big to me

I would like to see a megabot like this as a siegebreaker, or that 'super heavy thing that makes you hesitate whether you would attack or not'
  2. Degraine

Degraine New Member

I think the scale looks about right, it reminds me of the Kronos Titan from City of Heroes, which was super fun to fight. Any bigger, and you're getting into slightly absurd territory given the rough feel that Uber's implied they're aiming for in the game.
  3. jay070

jay070 New Member

Love the prospect of super units being in this game, size looks perfect for a two legged unit that is supposed to be tall rather than a tank-like which would obviously have been more spread out on the ground.

I think as long as they are not over the top powerful it can add so much diversity to the game just like nukes do. I remember the monkeylord in SC, to me it seemed perfectly balanced, it didn't take too many t3 units to take it out and even a standard defense that was set up for t3 units could handle it although taking some damage. But it was the coolest unit in the game.

I think that balance is key, it shouldn't be made so insanely powerful that you think "right now iv'e got the resources i should build it" but more balanced so that you think "should i build a superunit or maybe a nuke or more factorys to build units or build a base on that asteroid"

TLDR: Make it powerful but not so much you think "gotta build it". Make it one of many options and it can only add to the game.
  4. japporo

japporo Active Member

I was never a fan of assault experimentals in SupCom but they were necessary as a means of spearheading attacks on a heavily shielded base. Without shields in PA, there's no need.

I'd prefer that any megabots occupy the same niche that the Krogoth and Vulcan/Buzzsaw did in TA, i.e. something that one can afford to build when one has essentially won the match anyway.
  5. balestorm

balestorm New Member

Seems as though they'd be useless if that was the case. I mean as a Vanguard or a Siege-Cracker there's a role for it to fill. Just thinking the PA staff would be only adding something like this if it was really necessary. That said I'd like to see super units all the same so I can agree with the sentiment of having them.

As for balancing it may not be 'simple' as I said earlier but Uber has some pretty good credentials for making well-balanced games.

That said these are just my opinions so I don't expect people to agree with them or anything.
  6. greenchaos86

greenchaos86 New Member

seems an okay size for a starter megabot, would like to see a few project or unit constructions of something in the more "Awesome!" scale, having a full spectrum of units, roles and sizes and degrees of Awesome!, will attribute to a greater game overall, any one unit that excels the rest in a way that doesnt fit a particular role and have counters would be incessantly complained about regardless of size... >.>

Thanks for bringing us more content to preview guys at Uber! Like being able to see and hear about all the good stuff you guys got going on!
  7. movra

movra Member

8. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

are there any new media? (Maybe only for us backers? ... ;) )
  9. Cypher10110

Cypher10110 New Member

My thoughts exactly! I do quite like giant robots fighting each other.
    I approve of this development :D
  10. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

I think it would be fun to have a unit like this in game: just make it really expensive, have the destructive power of experimentals in Forged Alliance, but give it really low health relative to it's cost.

While it was incredibly fun to see a Monkey Lord's laser weapon sweep across an army, almost instantly destroying anything it touched, the problem with experimentals in SupCom original was that they had too much health which is what made them one-man armies which were very difficult to defend against. Too many tech 2 Point defense turrets needed; it was easier if you were Aeon though (although Fatboys could easily be countered with a few tactical missile launchers (food for balancing thought?)). If you made it so that you had to surround these things with cannon fodder so that they can read their target, then that would be great!

SupCom2 on the other hand had a different problem with its major experimental assault units: they had massive weapons that were visually spectacular, but were completely lackluster in terms of effect.

Having them unable to travel between planets by conventional means would make for some really interesting scenarios. I could imagine somebody launching a massive land invasion of a planet rockets via and drop pods, and then establishing a base on the planet just to set up a two way teleporter on that planet, to not only bring in a stream of reinforcements from their main production planet, but also to bring one or two of these things through the gateway.
    Last edited: April 14, 2013
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

They are more akin to support weapons or as T2 or even T3 units of the past game.
  12. meltedcandles

meltedcandles Member

I No wanna have experimentals unless they have 8 legs and paralyze things! :evil:
  13. m8harry

m8harry New Member

Hell yeah im in favour of these. Go a tad bigger and remember there is no overkill. :twisted:

These kinda units are great and my mates and I love them and love using them to break massive stalemates that tend to happen in our games. I like the placeholder unit though, looks like it has potential.
  14. ferigad

ferigad Member

Yeah the size looks nice, but why must it be always walking robots?

Why not a giant robot snake with laser eye´s! *.* Nature has the best designs!
  15. fixer951

fixer951 New Member

I'm going to come back and say that the size looks about right on this unit. I'm always one to shout "MOAR!" when it comes to these things, but when you really get down to it, that experimental is roughly the size of a mountain. It could easily crush a dozen robots under one foot. The robots themselves tower over trees, so that's got to be the proper scale for a giant death-bot, if ever I saw one.

I'd also like to second this person's idea for a giant laser snake. To build on such an idea, I'd like to pitch an equally-sized octopus robot for naval battles. Something like the Legion of Doom headquarters, but mobile, with tons of tentacles that can drag enemy ships down, smash them in half, or throw U-boats around. I wouldn't mind seeing a flying fortress for an air experimental. You have to remember, some of these planets are going to be all water, or no land/water at all. Having only a single type of experimental unit is going to limit the planets it's useful on. If there's going to be some form of interplay between land, air and naval units, it makes sense that even the largest, most expensive and over the top units would be represented in the air, on land, and at sea. Hell, you might even need to add in a monstrous orbital unit, a planet-cracker in it's own right. I'm not sure how orbital units factor in at the moment, but if it's going to be included in the Rock-Paper-Scissors along with the three other unit types, you're going to need a representative in the Experimental class, along the lines of a Super Star Destroyer.
  16. AfroSpartan

AfroSpartan Member

Its supposed to be massive and out of place, its a megabot/experimental...

[​IMG]
  17. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

This picture just reminds me of how horrible some of the SupCom experimentals looked...
  18. ulciscor

ulciscor Active Member

The scale is perfect, if you look at it in relation to the units and not the commander. But you won't be seeing that unit Vs a commander often compared to standard units.

So yeah, GJ!
  19. crseth

crseth Member

Size looks just about perfect to me!
  20. chickenatorius

chickenatorius New Member

I think it's got a fine size, actually. I can see it wading through smaller units at the back of an army, sort of as a big support bot. It's the kinda thing that makes you hunch over, focused for the battle that will apparently be harder than you thought, but not the kind of thing that just makes you disconnect from the game the second you see it.