Record games?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by chopchop, December 15, 2010.

1. chopchop

chopchop New Member

Will servers or players be able to record demos? Like SourceTV or player pov demos?
  2. Qosmo

Qosmo New Member

I could see this as a long-term wish, when the game is a bit more stable. Definitely something to keep in mind in my view, specially to make videos ^^
  3. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

This is a somewhat necessary feature for competition (ladders, tournaments) so that players can prove that someone did/didn't break the rules
  4. Snappyguy

Snappyguy New Member

I haven't tried filming anything on PC yet (with software above Unregistered HyperCam 2 :p ) but doesn't that Fraps thing work on all games.
  5. sunnydove

sunnydove Member

Fraps will almost certainly work on this game but I hate to record with fraps on PC multiplayer games. Using fraps will tax your CPU heavily. I'd say I have a pretty decent average gaming rig (specs below) but I generally can't pull a consistent 60 frames per second when recording new games (For example, I can record myself playing Fallout New Vegas at 30 fps but if I try to record at 60 fps the frame rate jumps between 40 and 50 resulting in less fluid gameplay).

Fraps is great for recording a single player game where performance can slow a bit without much consequence. But I doubt many of us would want to take a hit to performance to record a match. If there is a theater mode similar to what Halo's, that would be amazing but I am doubtful that will happen.

PC Specs so you guys know where I stand:
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770
    Intel i5 650
    8GB DDR3 Memory
  6. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Many PC games allow the recording of replays or "demos" that just record game events and inputs. Unlike video recording like with fraps, this can be done with minimal impact on framerate, and produces MUCH smaller files. The game then plays a demo by essentially recreating what happened in the recorded match.

The quake series, starcraft 2, and I think TF2 are examples of PC games that support this type of replay
  7. Qosmo

Qosmo New Member

One of the points of having recording implemented is so that we can actually capture with Fraps after playing and not get performance issues while playing the live thing. (And to capture only the parts we want also!).
  8. matt

matt Uber Alumni

I haven't played many recent games, but I know from warcraft days that you couldn't watch replays from prior versions. I saw Command and Conquer 3 overcome this with keeping backups of all prior version '.exe' and associated files in a separate folder so when you wanted to watch a replay from a previous version you could simply launch that version number and watch the replay.

Hopefully if they have a replay system it ends up being compatible after patches have been applied (by using the method C&C3 used or something else?).

I will initially try recording games with FRAPS, I have a fairly decent system atm, however a replay system provided by Uber is essential I believe!
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

Yeah, I think Starcraft 2 also saves old .exe versions for replay compatibility
  10. thrive

thrive New Member

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that 'demorec' is already functioning, given that the game is running on Unreal Engine. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.
  11. bwat47

bwat47 New Member

This feature would be a godsend.
  12. podwhacker

podwhacker New Member

demorec demoname in console
    just need to enable playdemo
  13. kankle

kankle New Member

So does this work or not? I can't use Fraps it destroys my FPS
  14. podwhacker

podwhacker New Member

Not currently but the engine certainly supports it.
  15. kankle

kankle New Member

You can record demos, but playback doesn't work
  16. podwhacker

podwhacker New Member

Well yes, as I said:
    Although we can't be sure that demorec currently records properly, as we can not play back properly. Thus the comment below it, in reply to "So does this work or not?".