Auto-Reclaim Boost (Idea for gameplay mechanic)

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by commanderdaz, April 9, 2013.

1. commanderdaz

commanderdaz Member

So here yet again another blasfemous Idea by me.

I was thinking since within the galactic war there will be multiple fronts and armies will most of the time be stretched thin when distributed I was thinking there could be an ability for all units, or if not atleast some to:

"Auto-Reclaim"

Meaning that if it is too troublesome to move these units or if they simply cannot leave planetside to move to the new hot-spot battle location.

They could be some-what like "self-destroyed" except that its for a set period of time in which they are (inverse nanolathing?) giving back resources to the commander, (supplying a small boost to the streaming economy), to employ elsewhere in frontline unit and building construction.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Honestly, we don't know yet if this will be a problem that needs addressing, only if units can't be moved off a Planet(as opposed to Moons/Asteroids which were conceptually shown in the Visualization) and that the UI elements that handle Reclaiming are not capable of handling large quantities of orders very quickly.

If this were to be an issue, improving the UI in terms of say area commands and/or introducing a way to get units off planets if larger quantities would be more more effective solutions to the problem.

Mike
  3. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

You mean like a scuttle command? Ctrl-K.
  4. dynamicecho

dynamicecho New Member

I think he means a scuttle command where you get the resources back, like they're being reclaimed. I think that an area reclaim command would be a more elegant solution to be honest.
  5. commanderdaz

commanderdaz Member

yeah thats mostly what I mean, Reclaim mechanics as of now are one-on-one clicks which kind of make it innefficient, so something like an area reclaim would be good too.
  6. KNight

Patrol? Also Attack Move with Engineers in SupCom was a good way to easily reclaim fields of wreckage.

Mike
  7. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

How to do you turn the healthy units into valuable wrecks to reclaim easily?

I don't want area reclaim to reclaim healthy units under normal conditions.
  8. KNight

Ctrl+K, but that's not part of the reclaiming process per see and isn't strictly required either.

It could be set up as such that when you give a Reclaim order to a still functioning unit it could self Ctrl+K when the engineer starts to reclaim that particular unit as a means to streamline the process.

Mike
  9. krashkourse

krashkourse Member

Send engi's in to battle so they can build the front and reclaim metal to be more useful, rather than just be in base and help build things. if you put the unit on patrol it will automatically reclaim and repair nearby units
  10. penchu

penchu Member

I like this as it would make things a lot easier but I think everything will be more fun to just start again etc :D have little micro economies
  11. numptyscrub

numptyscrub Member

Other games have used a "recycle" unit order, which causes the unit to return to a factory / repair station and unmake itself (I'm thinking Warzone 2100 in particular for this). How useful such a mechanic would be in PA remains to be seen, since we don't even have an alpha to compare with. Warzone did this primarily so you could reuse veterancy with a new unit shell (you had hundreds of possible unit designs with several no-brainer upgrades available); if PA has no unit veterancy, it would be of purely economic utility.