Payment Providers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 8, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey all,

We're looking to expand our payment provider options.

Right now, we support Amazon Payments and PayPal, which gets a lot of people, but still huge numbers of people that don't use those services normally.

The ones recommended so far:
    - WorldPay: Eurozone focused
    - iDeal: Netherlands focused

What I'm looking for is:

Recommendations for other major payment providers in your territory or region. Short and concise description is most helpful, web based is ideal, though if there are major phone/SMS based services, or alternative payment method services, those are helpful too, since they help people without a credit/bank card. And provide a link to the provider site. Especially for foreign language sites, sometimes finding the correct site can be.. erhm.. iffy. :)

Sticky for five days to help get responses.

Major territories I'd like a lot more info for:
    - South America
    - China
    - Korea
    - Japan
    - Australia/South Pacific
    - Africa
    - Middle East
    - Russia

More provider ideas for Euro and North America are good too, but fortunatley, PayPal, Amazon and soon WorldPay appear to cover most of those regions.
  2. john7locke

john7locke New Member

My first Post =)
    Iam from Germany, and not 1min ago i wanted to buy the game but was displeased with the payment providers. And now I find this thread :p

My suggestion Paysafecard.

www.paysafecard.com
    Last edited: April 8, 2013
  3. garat

Links please. :) Mainly, want to make sure I find the right site!
  4. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

My 2 cents.

People in Europe use in great majority Credit Cards, so Amazon Payment should correspond to this "profile".

From my experience, it is valid for France, Great Britain, Italy, Germany and Spain (traveled and spent a lot of time there, even lived in a few of them).

In additionnal note, i saw the "Moneybookers" option a few times.
    Very similar to Paypal.
  5. garat

We already offer Amazon Payments. It's based off the amazon.com (US based) but supports international transactions. Are you suggesting we change something in our settings there, or specifically offering payments.amazon.co.uk, payments.amazon.co.de, etc?
  6. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Google Checkout.

I declare victory for Polynomial in this thread.
  7. garat

Ah, good catch, Polynomial. We had talked about Google Wallet and Checkout, but.. I had since spaced it. It's "on the list" now. :)
  8. Polynomial

I've actually used it for Android stuff. Its international and people might already have it set up. You guys are a Google Apps shop anyways =P
  9. Neumeusis

Neumeusis Active Member

Nope :)
    Sorry, my answer was not clear enough.
    I was trying to confirm that using a "Credit Card" (MasterCard & Visa + a little tiny bit of American Express) way of paying (ie : Amazon Payment) should cover almost all European needs.

The only "problem" with the actual setup is that you'll have to pay in $ instead of € (or £ or Switzland Franc or any currency in the European patchwork).
    This could have 2 consequences :
    - good : as the € is stronger than the $, we pay "cheaper" any bill in $.
    - bad : most of the time, the bank charge the costumer for a small conversion fee for the transaction (usually composed of a non variant amount + a % of the transaction. Example : if i pay £25, i will be charged more or less for 1.5€ more for the transaction)(and to be honest, this fee is most of the time neglectible, especially with higher amounts).

=> Keep it like that :)
    (simplier for you as you do not have to bother with the currency rate, and it is possible that if you change the system, YOU could be charged for the currency conversion instead of the customer)

As for Africa, a lot of people use Western Union.
    It is more a "money transfert" service than a "way of payement", but could be worth a look, specially with the mobile money transfert that you mentionned.
    HOWEVER, my experience with Africa in this field is much more limited (only went there a few times, and never for long enough to rely on this kind of services).
    And it has a few drawbacks, like beeing frequently used by scammers and others unscrupulous people (money transfert : once the transfert is done, it's done, no way of turning back).

Regards

Edit : typos, typos, typos...
  10. felipec

felipec Active Member

Well, for Brazil we are good if you use PayPal. Never had any problems with it.
    Gerfand likes this.
  11. capcom6

capcom6 New Member

Local service for Russia: https://money.yandex.ru/
    Google Checkout and Amazon Payments also available, but less popular.
  12. orcaleader

orcaleader New Member

iDeal makes me happy :-D
  13. Biestie

Biestie Member

That is not true for Germany. You can use Credit Cards here, but they are very unpopular. Most of the people here would prefer using direct debit authorization.

This is already covered by Papay and Amazon Payments, so there is now special need for Germany, but we would really appreciate it. :)
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think this is changing, at least in my surroundings more and more people have a creditcard. I for myself buy so much stuff online from international sources that I never really understood why anyone would not get a creditcard.
  15. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Never had a problem with Skrill (moneybookers new name)
  16. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

Common payment systems in Korea (INICIS for example) is not that cool (based on active x).
    Probably credit card payment (probably Paypal, it is not popular method though) would be best option.
  17. Gruenerapfel

Gruenerapfel Member

I would also like Paysafecard, many ppl i know use it.
    Also SOFORT banking is pretty easy to use.
  18. grannystylez

grannystylez New Member

If you really want to get towards German speaking Customers I would recommend, sofortüberweisung.de

=> https://www.sofort.com/eng-INT/

It is easy for customers and very cheap for your firm.
    :)
  19. Polynomial

How indie do you guys plan to stay? What's the implications of a credit card processor?
  20. Gruenerapfel

Gruenerapfel Member

Thats exactly the same as i posted...