Scam/Piracy Sites Popping Up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 4, 2013.

1. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

SMNC is a Hybrid Shooter-MoBA. It was always going to be niche since it's trying to define a "new" genre.

Planetary Annihilation is in the same basket. It's not an RTS as we know it... not in a "pure" form like Starcraft.

The real barrier that Uber are making for themselves when it comes to mass appeal like the kind garnered for Starcraft and its ilk is a complete disregard for Refinement over Invention.

Uber is breaking new ground, rather than staying home to trim the roses. And Hell, that is the reason we backed them 2.2 million to make this game idea into reality after all.

It'll (most likely) never get huge. But that won't stop me playing it until the sun rises many times while my eyes remain open and my stubble is long enough to scratch my elbows.

---

I dislike Starcraft by the way. I was (and still am) a TA fan through and through.
  2. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

With 50k forum posts before Alpha I'm pretty sure it will be quite big. Once people realize they will be able to blow up god damn planets, they will buy and play just for that.

We can't expect millions of players but if the game fits well with esports and we manage to get it going (cause Uber isn't really that wealthy to advertise as much as they deal with development) then I'm sure we can make it a big thing.

Or we could get a few thousand korean people to organize a tournament, starcraft will be very offended
  3. taihus

taihus Member

Koreans playing something other than SC or CS (or incredibly grind-y mmos)? That'll be the day.
  4. orcaleader

orcaleader New Member

nuke it from orbit with an asteroid you mean ;-D.

Sorry I couldn't resist..
  5. antillie

antillie Member

[​IMG]
  6. scifiz

scifiz Member

Please try to avoid the rest of us when using the asteroid hammer.

To be honest it was only a matter of time before they moved onto PA after people got warned off their cheap Steam key and Battlefield 3 beta key scams.
    What matters is that you've hit them fast and hard. They'll just move onto a softer target.
  7. orcaleader

orcaleader New Member

I think I am going to preach to the chior here, but still...

DO NOT BUY KEYS FROM DISCOUNT SITES, EVER, remember what happened to Unknown worlds after the company received over $30,000 worth of chargebacks.

for those that don't know.. some scammers stole people's creditcard info and bought keys for Natural Selection 2, and resold them for a discount on their site. The owners of those CC's than used the Chargeback system to force Unknown Worlds to refund the costs of those bought keys..
  8. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

people use discount key websites? I always assumed that they were just ridiculous.
  9. kent4ro

kent4ro New Member

WAIT WAIT WAIT,hold on....

i dont get a free kitten with my order?

PREORDER CANCELLED!
  10. superroach

superroach Member

@orcalleader - The devs of NS2 were hit like that? Wow!

The fact that they can be affected on it must have been devastating for them. It's not like they could easily brace themselves for that either.
  11. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Why does it have to be big?

I mean yes, everybody dreams of making the next multi-hundred-million blockbuster but usually 99% fail at it and sacrifice too much for it to have been worth attempting.

I'm happy if PA is a success enough with its audience of TA style gameplay-lovers so that Uber can continue to support it, release expensions and successors to it and every employee at uber can take a 2 week vacation abroad each year.

I've no clue about what numbers they need for that but 200k-300k sales at full price of 39 gold coins, or your regional equivalent, digitally should cover that and I'd count that as a good success.

Imo being great at its niche can work well as a bussiness plan instead of taking the unrealistic expection of going big and then being blown up after you fail to retake the 100 Mio $ spent on marketing.
  12. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Thing is, they won't really spend much on marketing, I believe they already have a guaranteed positive outcome even if they just finish the game properly.
    Sure theres a chance the game will be a fluke and fail but seriously with the crew behind it, I find that hard to believe. These people participated in creation of both TA and SupCom and now have full freedom to create their own game.

Scam sites don't appear just like that to screw people over, they appear cause they notice a huge interest in the game and an easy opportunity to quickly gather a lot of money from fraud.

I'm pretty sure we can expect a big interest and activity with the game, not Starcraft big but reasonably big to get noticed in the entire gaming community.
  13. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

Also probably the majority of the target audiance has already bought it. im sure it will get plenty of sales after release but you cant forget to figure in that a comparatively neich product may not go massive outside of that neich.
  14. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I think, and hope, this is not accurate. :) Most popular RTS games sell upwards of at least 500,000 copies. We, uh, aren't there yet.

RTS is niche in the grand scheme of things, but there's still a few million avid RTS players out there.
    shootall likes this.
  15. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I think i used the wrong word... The hardcore audience probably works more accurately.
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

In local news, PLEASE don't respond to spam threads. It just means that many more posts that have to get manually deleted. :) Thanks.
  17. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

In general, don't get anything directly related to game content from third party sites that you don't know for absolute certain are trustworthy. The only place to guarantee stuff like Beta Keys is the official Uber site, and keys won't ever be sold directly outside of pre-ordering from the Uber store.

On the whole niche thing, the reason I like Uber as a company other than being a really cool bunch of people is that they put conformity out of the window, and make and innovate what THEY want to make. It might not always work out for the best; but hell, that's the sort of thing I want to be doing when I get into the industry.
  18. frostbitten

frostbitten New Member

I'll keep my eyes peeled :p
  19. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Here is the great thing about this game.

If no one outside of this group ever plays this Totally Awesome!, Bad ***, Second-to-None, Earth Shattering, game Uber isn't out a thing. We paid for it and they made it
  20. killien

killien Active Member

And yet they have no problem yanking videos from youtube on false copyright complaints...