24/7 Live office webcam at uber entertainment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by penchu, April 4, 2013.

?

Do you want to see live webcams of the development?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    11.4%
  2. No

151 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. Don't care

41 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. HELL YES I DO

50 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. antillie

antillie Member

"Oh, I forgot that I was adding a new slot to that array every time I called that function. No wonder my memory footprint keeps going up as it runs."
  2. mrknowie

mrknowie Member

My favorite is when you realize you wasted four hours because you had a < instead of a > (or vice-verse).
  3. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

God I hate that one, I had another case of it recently but I was lucky enough to stumble upon it when I was working on some other code :). The one that used to always trip me up though was when you accidentally use a single = instead of two in an if statement, but at least these days it gives you a warning about that. There's just so many easily overlooked mistakes in programming that make you feel so stupid when you finally notice them, at least with experience you get used to looking for these things much more thoroughly than when you first start programming :).
  4. penchu

penchu Member

haha I dont mind that this idea bombed, actually its quite funny to see the reactions lol
  5. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

TBH watching people working on computers is about as boring as it gets.....

Having a live stream of different dev's screens while they develop might be a little more interesting though, although i think you could only really do that with the artists as for 99% of people watching, code is a mythical universe.
  6. demossema

demossema New Member

Now hearing dev's ideas is interesting but requires some skill on the devs part due to being a job and copyright and stuff, I personally love reading John Carmack's twitter feed
  7. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

8. asgo

asgo Member

for all who wish such a webcam we should add a webcam watching them watching the devs.
    Should be almost as interesting or boring.
    Let's call it second order webcam or nesting :)
    but we all know about nesting ...
    [​IMG]
  9. antic74

antic74 New Member

I think that the real point is not whether a webcam pointed at the developers would be interesting or not. The real point is respect for the people we're entrusting to develop the RTS game of our dreams. Being a backer is about trusting the whole team, pointing a camera at them is more like putting pressure on them. It doesn't make sense to me and doesn't really make the team more efficient at all. I believe that their webcasts should be enough to keep us informed and excited about the development of the whole project.
  10. mcodl

mcodl Member

I would sound like a hypocrite if I would voted anything else than "no" as I value privacy. Workplace is a workplace and not a reality show IMO.
  11. yagle

yagle New Member

How about we respect privacy at their own workplace?

I am totally okay with the regular updates & livestreams
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Even reality shows are generally post-edited to remove stuff.

How about we create a reality show instead?
  13. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I can't remember kickstarting a reality show so far. Maybe you should set up a ks for it.
  14. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

That would probably be one of the few reality shows I'd actually be tempted to watch, but I much prefer what you've been doing already with the live streams, I've found them very entertaining and informative and can't wait for the next one :).
  15. commanderdaz

commanderdaz Member

Ehermmm, actually I confess I voted: "HELL YES I DO!!!"

I just thought that if it was similar to the kickstarter, fund-raising closure it'd be fun.

But then again I don't think they could have enough energy or time to keep up the show all year long, or bacon for that matter, hell, even (AWESOME)ness would be streched thin for such a task, lol.
  16. thesonderval

thesonderval Member

How about one for the water cooler? :)
  17. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

How a bout we all chill out a notch and let the people work?

I'm as anxious for updates as anyone but the idea of having a live webcam watching you work is horrifying. Remember how frustrating the stream of comments was when they were livestreaming the tech update last? Imagine that all day every day
  18. supremevoid

supremevoid Member

How about one for the "strange orange" couch (by IKEA).

I´m still for Notch´s version of a livestream.
    Stream 1-4 hrs of programming or other stuff live and then turn the stream for off 1-2 weeks.
    Maybe called: Mavor´s Cornor ? or Steve´s Cornor ? Depends on the situation.

How about that?
  19. thapear

thapear Member

Or we just do an occasional livestream for about an hour, in which they tell us about new developments!

Oh wait, we've already got that...
  20. themindlessone

themindlessone Member

I thought it had already been decided that you are going for awesome instead of reality.