Structure carriers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by TELunus, April 5, 2013.

1. TELunus

TELunus New Member

An idea I've been kicking around for a while is a unit on which structures can be built. This can enable mobile factories, alternative attack forces, or even moving bases. I'm not sure it's a great idea, but thought I might as well get it out and see what people think.

Some things that would need to be decided would be:
    Would they be available at tech 2 only, or smaller versions at tech 1? Maybe even have this as a super unit?
    Would multiple different sized versions be available for different costs within a tech level?
    Would they be land, floating, flying, and/or submersible? Or possibly even orbital? (wolud there even be any point to having structures in orbit, and how would they be built)
    Could this be integrated as part of other designs. For example leaving some space on a battle ship to let you build your own structure, thus letting you decide to ad AA, or PD, or whatever else.
    Also, would other units besides structures be able to ride them?

Thoughts?
  2. digitalcommunist

digitalcommunist New Member

Mobile factories were experimental units in Supcom. I'm not against the idea but they should require significant investment.
  3. jetda

jetda New Member

i remember reading something about galactic conquest and 40 player games if people are fighting between solar systems the idea of sending an engineer on a rocket pod to an asteroid or planet may prove impossible. So I'd think some type of space carrier/command ship should be usable nothing for planetary bombardment but something to transport vast amounts of units. Though alot of information on transportation and units hasn't been detailed yet I think...ill avoid this game in a heart beat if i have to deal with "oo look an army just teleported into the middle of my base nonsense"
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

No, PA only takes place within a Single system at a time, Galactic War is a meta game to tie together a series of skirmishes, and fitting 40 players within a single System is trivial, 5 Large Planets, 8 players Per Planet, Bam.

Mike
  5. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

One thing I'd like is to be able to build raised platforms yourself.
  6. antonyboysx

antonyboysx Member

So would I. I would like to build platforms everywhere, especially the sea, so that my base could float away?
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I wholeheartedly agree.

Attached Files:

8. antonyboysx

antonyboysx Member

I didn't mean like that. I meant a small platform, so my commander is safe from the battles, as well as having some aircraft factories to produce a few jets to keep him safe.
  9. jetda

jetda New Member

so the idea of confining ur commander to a small raised plateform is safe to you? i think that just begs for focused artillery strikes. lol
  10. japporo

japporo Active Member

I would think something like this would be the right model for gas giant worlds, where no ground in the usual sense can exist. A unique game from the late 1990s, Stratosphere, had a related concept. You could build a floating island (pic) of various sizes and add on structures, such as weapons, defenses, and propulsion, and then pilot this island into battle against other floating island fortresses.

One could imagine something similar in PA: a floating platform on a gas giant onto which other platforms could be grafted. Structures could be built on top. Enemy weapons fire would first damage the structures on top and then the platform itself when the structures are gone, eventually causing it to fall away. Propulsion could be built to allow slow movement across the surface of the gas giant.

Certainly something that would be worth attempting as a mod. I hope the PA engine is flexible enough to make it possible.
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If the KS video is any indication, any mobile asteroid is by default a carrier that can hold structures.
  12. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

That's a good point - all you need to do is submerge an asteroid, or make it float just above ground, and you've got a mobile 'base', engine wise.

I wonder if they will actually be able to shoot from asteroid to asteroid - if two asteroids drift near each other, will your defenses open fire on each other? Would be awesome :)
  13. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

By raised platforms I meant something like these walls:
    http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/9627/neph2.jpg

Or the raised platforms in say Starcraft that also likes to use them a lot.

Instead of being embedded into the level why isn't it something you can build yourself as a defensive structure that allows you to elevate other defenses or put mobile defensive units on there for a height advantage?