Biome type weather and climate effects

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by FunkOff, April 3, 2013.

1. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Wow, that's harsh. I should probably feel bad about that, except I'm just being picked on because I'm normally right. :lol:

There's any number of reasons the environment can screw over radar. Such as if the particulates screw over radar. Or if the environment is made entirely of metal. It won't necessarily be left untouched.
  2. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

I ever wanted to see that in a game. But now I'm not sure anymore.
    Implementing this into the game...

First: I think it is a great technical challenge.
    Second: At some point you don't fight against your enemy anymore. You fight against the weather.

And some points I don't get:
    Soft sand reduces also the movement speed of vehicles. In fact it could get stuck.
    And of course you can use air units on a moon-type surface. You levitate all the time if you jump around. You have less gravity. That does not mean, you cannot fly anymore. You just have to think about HOW to do this.
  3. little

little New Member

From playing the beta of an upcoming RTS with weather effects I can only say one thing: don't exaggerate the effects of weather effects on core gameplay. Subtle changes are okay, but they should not be able to screw your tactics or even make you loose.
  4. Ti1t

Ti1t Member

Maybe as an expansion, but even then. Trying to play the game through heavy cloud cover?!?

All focus should be put on making a functioning game before even thinking about added extras like that.
  5. dsiOne

dsiOne New Member

IDK who Funkoff is, but some "hardcore strategy" players just want a sterile arena like Chess. (so go play chess then, eh?)
  6. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

With a 3D Camera.... you can defeat cloud cover!
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Can you?

Mike
  8. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

Have you played World In Conflict?

It uses WASD for directional movement like any fps. Mouse behaves like it does in any RTS but when ALT (I think, could be middle mouse) is held it acts like an FPS view point, enabling you to get just the view point you want.

You could go up and down from a soldier's eye view of the battlefield to near satellite view, above the clouds that were both regular and mushroom in variety.

Speaking of which, is there a topic on camera controls?
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But a unit's eye view is horribly for actual gameplay especially considering we're on round planets with varied vertical terrain as seen in the Desert Biome Concept

Cloud cover is even more awkward when considering Strategic Zoom, you have to pull off trickery to make clouds transparent or otherwise not obscure the view, so why deal with them at all?

Mike
  10. rabbit9000

rabbit9000 Member

I said it could move from a units eye view.

You should really try the game, its excellent.
  11. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

I agree. Effects should be present, but minor (ie, a speed penalty of 10-20%.)
  12. FunkOff

FunkOff Member

You don't give the PA team enough credit!

IRL this is only true of wheeled vehicles. Tracked vehicles are far less impacted by sand due to more even pressure distribution.

You realize that air units work not by resisting gravity (they don't) but by interacting with the air, right? Although thrust can be generated without air, the ability to turn (and thus move in meaningful ways) depends on air being present in a high enough density that it can produce forces strong enough to accelerate a large aircraft.
  13. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

As long as biome weather effects are clearly seen and consistently applied, I would love to see them in the game.

That means that 'weather' would have to consist of 'consistently foggy here', as opposed to 'this area may have an occasional heavy storm'. I think we all agree that random events that mess with your game are crap. However, you COULD have a non random weather pattern that moves an effect around - for example, in a desert, you could have a sandstorm effect that moves in a circular pattern at a set speed. This would allow for neat effects the player could plan around.
  14. mintception

mintception New Member

I do like the above idea that the weather effects are constant in an area but just that, in an area. They can thus be mobile and so a player can look at a part of a map and be able to tell what area is being weather-effected and what area has the potential to be, such as a sandstorm that oscillates along a path.
  15. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I want someone to mod in a mobile sandatorm generator
  16. penchu

penchu Member

this all sounds like alot of work...
  17. antillie

antillie Member

Would mundane cloud cover even effect super advanced kill bots? How do we know they aren't seeing gamma rays and hearing xrays?
  18. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

I am so very, very tired of this argument. imho, Uber made a mistake with their 'perfectly evolved units of war' line. So many people seem to think it means all units should have god mode on and nothing at all in the world should ever affect the design or abilities of a unit.
  19. antillie

antillie Member

[​IMG]
  20. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Your joke sounded too close to Bobucles to make me laugh. Hah. That's probably a joke in and of itself.