To The Devs: An Apology.

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by shivanswordsman, March 19, 2013.

1. shivanswordsman

shivanswordsman New Member

The last time you may have seen me, I was ranting about the pricing for the Bow Slinging Character that was released for SMNC, who had their price jumped up from the regular prices we had so been accommodated to. I stormed off, left SMNC, and vowed to myself I would never return. "This was the beginning of greed", I thought, and these feelings only got worse with the creation of your Planetary Annihilation Kickstarter.

"Where did all the frelling funds from this game go?", I wondered to myself. I shrugged it off, swallowed my former bile, and moved forward. It isn't until today that my perspective changed, especially after I saw the intense bullying from Microsoft that you underwent. I saw the article today on Polygon.com, and all I can really say to sum up my feelings are: I'm sorry.

I really am. I had no idea the sorts of things you went through just to try and release a new concept to market. How hard you worked, how many deals fell through, how beaten you were by Microsoft, sinking in so much money trying to make release with them that you actually lost so much money. I'm just glad that you're in a good position now, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Also, thank you for opening up about your terrible experiences, and for how hard you folks fought to get these games released. It was a very educational look into game creation, and into the sheer strangling power that some companies have. To think Microsoft probably did the same to several other games, and is trying to move the X-Box model and controls onto the PC, chills me to the core.

I hope things go well for you guys, and wish you folks the best. I... don't know if I'll be making a return to the game, since I'm keeping up with other, more recent titles now, but I at least wanted to do the honorable thing, and apologize for my ignorance, and for just being an overall jerk. It's the very least I could have done, given how guilty I felt.
  2. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

<3

Thank you.
    knickles likes this.
  3. wildkun

wildkun Member

Yep, sad story :(

Never buy windows and games made by microsoft studio :)

It's a pity, such a great concept.
    Maybe you'll take 1 million from annihilation and will spend on smnc? We wil not tell about it to backers :)

And definitely Dota2 announcer should help earn some money :)
  4. killien

killien Active Member

You should listen to TotalBiscuits rants about MS and gaming
  5. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

See, I knew that article would make people feel bad about being jerky.

A lot of people are very quick to criticise developers without knowing what happens behind the scenes. Uber's remained pretty good managing to keep a fairly balanced business model with their financial woes: It could have been easy to just have a ton of blatant P2W options and earn a quick buck.
  6. d34thmetal

d34thmetal Active Member

People are dumb and like to bitch. It is what it is, these people have lives they do what they gotta do. I can be sad they are not working more on the game, but I fully understand why.
  7. kvalheim

To be fair though, I've been trying out some other f2p games lately, and now SMNC's forums seem far more tame: ie about 90% of the MWO forums are about how much the devs have totally killed the game with any attempt to make the game easier to get into.
  8. toolshop

toolshop New Member

:?:
    Last edited: March 27, 2013
  9. kvalheim

Because you've become an *******.
  10. toolshop

toolshop New Member

:?:
    Last edited: March 27, 2013
  11. IncredibleBran

IncredibleBran Member

And the mental capacity of a 3 year old.
  12. grayfox

grayfox Active Member

An inspiring read, but scares you the bones to see how some systems work. When I saw Monday Night Combat on the Summer of Arcade in 2008, I felt like it must have been some peer selected process and fit right into the design of each game they wanted for days of the week - like there was some kind of competition for shooting games Uber had won to be placed on the spot.

Reality slams down, and it's actually closed-door debates and money pitches for sticking everyone in place before the curtain comes down.

More power and luck to ya, Uber. Hope you don't have to go through that again.
  13. kvalheim

Yeah, I knew Microsoft were bad, but now you see why this doesn't come out so often: Getting something onto XBLA is incredibly infuriating it seems.